1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Baby Steps

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Hello all ~

I am new around here, and would like to start this journal as a place to document this new chapter of my journey.

I have been hanging around the forum for a few days now, and I have read many things on the site, so far. Jack's book is on its way.

I realize there is so much to learn. I will probably ask a lot of questions "out loud" here ~ but I am not always expecting answers. I am not a baby, and I do not expect to be spoon-fed... but I will be taking baby steps, as time and life allows.

Sometimes, we just have to put things down somewhere to get them out of our minds and take a good look at them from a new angle. If anyone has anything constructive to add ~ I love the conversation and support.

Thank you all for being here and sharing your journeys. I am not on facebook or any social media, so this will be my #1 place to share what is going on with me ... and also the only place where I see what is going on with everyone else.

You'll probably see me here a lot, as I tend to "dive in" to a new area of interest pretty deeply (read: obsessively. haha) So I'll just say in advance: Nice to meet you! :)

Josh Rosenthal likes this.
  2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Welcome Jenelle. Pretty name!

Jenelle likes this.
  3. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you so much! :)

----

Okay, so:

Baby Step #1 is that yesterday, I made myself get out in the snow and drive to the tanning place. I have known for years now, that this helps me ... to go a few times per week, in the winter months. Knowing and doing are two different things, as we all know. But thanks to the urging of a friend who understands the importance ~ I went. And as I already knew, it was a HUGE boost to my mood, energy, and mental clarity for the rest of the day. Just 3 minutes in a stand-up bed. Transforming.

February is still my least favorite month, and there is still the task of making myself go a few times each week. I know that this is just a baby step, but it was an important one for me.

4. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Baby Step #2 was coming here, creating an account, and actually starting a journal.

I have been keeping somewhat of a journal/thread going on another site, which is focused solely on nutrition. I have been a member there for a couple of years now. Over time... I have really started to see the flaws with their program, and I have found it harder and harder to be there. While at the same time, being there more and more. I know... that may sound odd. But I love to help people ~ and I have been able to speak to a handful of folks there who feel SO much better with a more ketogenic approach. Unfortunately, they not only do not encourage a ketogenic approach there ~ they actively discourage it for most people. That has caused some unnecessary stress in my life. It has brought me joy, to be able to help... in the few cases where I have REALLY been able to help. I have changed some lives, no doubt. But a lot of my energy has gone into this place... and I often feel that it is not appreciated.

My first venture into keto eating came after reading Jimmy Moore's book. In October 2014 I did about 30 days. Another 30 days in January 2015, which was a bit different because I did it "Whole 30" style, which is pretty strict Paleo. No dairy, no sweeteners, no dessert-like creations.

As of right now, I've been eating LCHF/keto for a solid 3 months. It really feels like the appropriate winter diet for me. I am still researching and debating whether I need to do the Leptin Reset or not. I do not struggle with cravings in any way... but there are a couple of things I am still consuming which I feel like probably need to go (umm, again): All nuts and seeds, and all dark chocolate ~ no matter what the percentage (yes, I can happily eat 100% baking chocolate).

I feel like I drink too much coffee, but I am clearly addicted to it. I quit cold-turkey for about 10 days recently, replaced it with green tea and black tea... that was fine. Decided one day I missed coffee, and went right back to my old ways: 16 oz. 2x per day.

I also really enjoy having a drink (or two) with my husband when we get a chance. This is silver tequila with plain sparkling water. I am not ready to cut this out completely. I may get to that point... but I am not there yet.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Procaffeination = a toxic light environment = loss of electron flow in ECT. Read the end of the Ubi 4 blog. Right there.

Hunger4More and Jenelle like this.
  6. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

Welcome to the "light" side, friend.

Starfish Prime and Jenelle like this.
  7. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I read the whole thing. Thanks!

I actually had to look up "procaffeination". Go ahead and laugh. Dictionary.com had no listing... But Urban Dictionary DID! :)

Then I found this nice mug:

[​IMG]

...I imagine the answer to me getting off the caffeine again... is going to be LIGHT.

So is everyone here caffeine-free?

8. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Why, thank you, sir. :) So nice to be here!

9. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

I'm at 1 cup in the morning. Oddly I never drank coffee my entire life until a few years ago. Yeah I got funny looks over that one too, when I said "I don't drink it". Now I do most days out of habit I guess because I don't feel I need it.
    So...if 2 makes a procaffinator does one make you an amature-caffinator? LOL.

Jenelle likes this.
  10. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

This is ~sort of~ me, too. When I first began drinking regular coffee again a few months ago (everyone: because we got a puppy and my whole world went crazy o_O ) ... I needed it. I was freaking tired. Now ~ the habit has stayed, whether I need it or not.

I won't lie to myself or anyone here and say that I am not addicted to caffeine, however ~ because I know I am. Green tea gave me a little boost, but not as much as coffee ~ and black tea was strangely stimulating to me ("shaky") a couple of times in a way that coffee isn't. Decaf really has no appeal to me right now. I am drawn to super dark chocolate, as well... and these are all things that stimulate "the cats": catecholamines: dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. I'm aware of it... it's just a matter of how to back myself back out of it, now.

11. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Baby Step #3 today: Over 50g of protein with breakfast, and yes ~ as soon as I could get it cooked, after waking. I would like to continue this daily.

This one was pretty easy. I eat an entire can of Wild Planet tuna every morning for breakfast anyway. I subbed out one of my egg yolks for another entire egg, and added a couple pieces of bacon.

tuna 32.5
    eggs 12
    bacon 6
    yolk
    kale
    coconut oil
    homemade mayo

Edited to say: Wow, I completely forgot about the Great Lakes collagen in my coffee. Adding that in now: 12.

So really... I have been getting 50 grams of protein with breakfast every day ~ for a couple of weeks now (since I upped my tuna from 1/2 can to the full can).
    ----

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  12. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Baby Step #4 last night: We shut off the power strips to both TVs/Xbox/Wii U/U-Verse/etc. last night before we went to bed. I think this should be done every night ~ and can't hurt. The question is: Do we need to actually unplug the power strips from the wall each night?

13. Inger

Inger Silver

Hi Jenelle :)

I think the thing with coffee is, the more you need it the less you should drink.
    If you feel awake and great without coffee it want hurt you too much to drink a little good quality one... just my thoughts ;)

Starfish Prime and Jenelle like this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

coffee = a person who is light stressed and has no proper melatonin recycling so they use caffeine to increase ECT speeds to do what missing melatonin can do. Time 9 breadcrumb.

Torrid, Hunger4More and Jenelle like this.
  15. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

That's the third reference to Time 9 I have seen in the past two minutes... see you in a few hours after I read it. :thumbsup:

16. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Baby Step #5 REALLY needs to be ordering some blue blocker glasses today from Amazon... but I am having analysis paralysis. Big time. I have looked at these many times over the past ~however long~ and I have never made a purchase. :rolleyes:

17. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Take the plunge. They really do help! I have two pair of fit-overs (wear glasses) and 2 pair of clip-ons. I like the fit-overs best as they block light from the sides too..

Jenelle likes this.
  18. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you ~ (I feel weird calling you fitness@home. Lol. Do others know your first name?)

I have some fit-overs in my cart that I saw someone here recommend. I should just get those, for now, since I do wear my glasses at night.

I realized this afternoon that I have been trying to figure out what to do about the kids... who read in their beds at night... and my youngest likes to read on his Kindle... (I know, groan...) I was actually looking for "orange reading lights". DUH. I need to just get them some orange glasses, too! :rolleyes:

Winter Brain. This is my winter brain. I promise it gets better!

19. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Question for anyone willing to answer:

If we are using artificial light in the winter-time (like going to the tanning bed or using a Sperti, etc)... Does this make our bodies think it is more like summer, and we crave or "need" more carbs?

20. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

"If our cells make it…….you’re not designed to take it." -- Time 9.

The only supplements I've been taking are D3 & K2. I've started to realize this may just be dumb.

D3 -- why? Because you hear about it all the time... everywhere... for everything... because so many are deficient... and because I never get out in the sun during the winter. And honestly? Not all that much in the summer, either. Better answer: Get some good light on a consistent basis. Like, DAILY.

K2 -- why? Because I've read so many places that we need this when taking high doses of D3. :rolleyes: