1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

awesome fish tacos (huhu)

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Josh (Paleo Osteo), Feb 16, 2015.

1. ok i just made up these tacos (lettuce wraps) and they were excellent. even @MIKE WILKINSON would love this :p

recipe (serves 2 hungry or 3-4 regular joes)

for the fish:
    800g firm white fish (aussies: snapper, flathead, hapuka etc) (yanks: probably cod, talapia, halibut??)
    (OR similar squid/prawns/shrimp etc)
    1 cup arrowroot flour (for dusting)
    1 tsp good quality smoked paprika
    1tsp cumin
    salt and pepper

combine spices and tapioca in plastic ziplock bag
    cut fish to small strips 10cm x 3cm x 3cm (if using squid maybe rings, obvs prawns whole tails etc)
    toss in dusting mix in bag, put aside
    for the salsa roja:
    1 punnet cherry tomatoes (i used multi-colour)
    handful coriander (cilantro)
    1 small white or red salad onion
    2 small jalapenos
    2tsp salt
    pepper

dice onion, chop tomatoes small, roughly but finely chop coriander, finely dice jalapeno
    toss in a metal bowl with the salt - set aside in fridge. the salt will begin to take water from the tomatos intensifying their flavour. pour off any liquid after removing from fridge after 10 mins

for the guac:
    1.5 ripe avocados
    juice 1 lime
    2tsp salt
    pepper
    sour cream if tolerated

smash together to a fine paste

other:
    3 long horn peppers (yellow pepper/yellow chilli) grilled
    finely shredded purple cabbage
    finely sliced red radishes

heat 2-3cm deep coconut oil til shimmering
    cook fish on all sides about 1 min each side

serve in lettuce cups, fish on bottom, salsa, guac, peppers and cabbage
    extra squirt of lime and hot sauce of your choice (i like tapatio or something vinegary like this)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Kelly A, digital, nicld and 3 others like this.
  2. MIKE WILKINSON

MIKE WILKINSON New Member

Mmmm yep that will pass
    Might have to get help from the better half just to make sure I don't stuff it up
    See I can burn toast (even gluten free toast)

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  3. nicld

nicld Gold

I LOVE fish tacos with lettuce wraps. Mahi Mahi is a great fish to use and talapia is ok (not my favorite fish).

4. im not sure what fish are the ones to get up there, i just remember seeing it in the states and canada a lot in pubs etc

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

This sounds really good, Josh. Even if we don't have any punnets here... ;-)
    I have GOT to get DH to start eating more seafood!