1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Avocado

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by JanSz, Jul 25, 2012.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Need pointers.

How to buy and store avocado.

How to recognize ripe avocado. Ripen just right, not too much not to little.

Costco sells them, I have mixed luck.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I get the green ones, and toss them all into the crisper of the fridge. When I want one, I pull it out a day or two ahead of time. Its skin turns dark by that time, and usually it is great inside.

Be sure the ones you buy have a tight skin. If they are loose, the insides will be brown.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

once its ripe this is how I eat the fruit.....cut it in half and remove the pit and fill the pit hole with some balsamic vinegar.....and get a spoon and go to town on it. Great meal replacement on the road.

4. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

One of my favorite dinners is something I call my "Fat Salad". Huge bowl of greens (kale, spinach, etc...after last night's webinar, I'll add sea veggies), 1 whole avocado, crabmeat or shrimp, and drizzled with olive oil or CO and balsamic vinegar. Yum.

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

how to tell they're ripe: go for darker green ones that yield SLIGHTLY to gentle pressure. If they're squishy, they're old and no good. You can also sometimes tell by looking at the narrow end of the fruit - if it has a bit of the stem left, you can try to flick it off with the tip of your thumb. If the stem bit flicks off easily and the spot underneath it is greyish green, it's ripe. If the stem doesn't flick off at all or if the spot is a bright light green beneath the stem, it's likely under-ripe. If it's brown or dark grey under the stem, it's likely old and yucky.

If you buy them under-ripe (ie: hard), you can put them in a paper bag and close it tightly - this will usually ripen them within a day or so. If you cut one open and it's got lots of dark grey streaks, it's not going to be good. Because avocados are primarily fat, they go rancid when they go bad. Yuck!

6. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

+1 on all this. I just learned about the tip to flick the end off and check for a good, green color and have been doing this for the last few batches I bought with great success. I also like to get them more under-ripe than over and put them in a brown paper bag. It beats buying rotten, rancid ones.

I had an avocado tonight with dinner. Smashed it up and topped it with sauerkraut with shrimp and mushrooms on the side. Sounds gross, but oh so yummy and totally nutrient dense meal. I could feel my gut healing as I ate it :)

7. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I like mine very slightly under-ripe, too...and you know, avocado with sauerkraut actually sounds strangely appealing to me at the moment...LOL

8. Destiny

Destiny New Member

That actually sounds yummy to me! I love avocados in any shape or form!

9. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Avocados freeze really well too. Mash them up and freeze them in ice cube trays or just blobs on a plate. Just thaw them out before you use them. Great in smoothies or just blobbed onto salads or as spreads.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^^ I have done this once because some patient told me about it and I have to say it was awesome.