1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Autism

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by MrPinkies, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

Hi Jack!

My name is Kate. I have no idea where to start, so, here we go! I was a kid that didn't talk until I was 6 years old. I had speech all the way through college. I turned out alright, I think, and at 31 years old~ whatever.. I married a man (Chris) with Aspergers, who for the most part, is very very very high functioning. The short of it is that he always had thought (up until a few years ago when he was officially diagnosed) that he just had an social anxiety disorder. We have two children, Ryan and Lizzie. Lizzie was diagnosed with classic Autism, but extremely high functioning and very mild, at 16 months. We started therapies with her at 8 months and she is "caught up completely" by the time she turned 3 this year. Ryan, on the other hand, is 5 1/2 and will turn 6 soon. He was diagnosed at 18 months with classic moderate to severe Autism and is moderate functioning (most days). The majority of the time, Ryan's behavior is consistant of a 2 1/2 almost 3 year old. A year ago, most of him was still under a year old. We have come a very very very long way... At the same time, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I have a 3 year old is like 4 years old in a lot of ways and my 5 almost 6 year old is like 3. With Ryan, compared to everyone else in the family, seems like a whole new ball-game. In addition to the Autism, both Ryan and Lizzie have sensory processing issues. They both HATE playing and or being in water. They have a hard time dealing with loud noises. Lizzie refuses smooth, hard objects and will pick things up with her wrists. Lights and sleeping were an issue (fixed with the Amber, orange, and red- thank you) But- clipping finger nails, brushing teeth and hair, bath and or shower time.. Pottying issues~ always a fun time... textures of certian foods... Ryan's brain with sensory is strictly- one thing at a time... ABA therapy, though we can no longer afford it (actually, we couldn't afford it in the first place and took massive loans to afford it), has worked for the most part; although, there are days where we feel like we have just put money down the toilet... Speech and OT has also worked well for both kids.. Compression shirts (instead of a pressure/weighted vest) has worked VERY well too. but with all of these therapies and tricks- like the compression shirts, I feel are so short term gains. Other wise, medically speaking, they are both in the 90th percentile for height, and extremely skinny 0-5th percentile on the chart for weight.

It was suggested by the ABA therapist and OT to change Ryan's diet. Long of the short, Chris found your website around 7-8 months ago. We changed our diet as a family. To my surprise- I've lost 117lbs so far in the last year (out of the 117lbs, 68lbs very quickly the leptin reset, I about 50lbs to go) and my husband lost around 60 lbs too. Changing the kids diet has been extremely hard. Changing my diet has been extremely hard. I had no idea the addiction that I had to sugar, but, I have FINALLY figured out why I couldn't for all these years take off the weight. The kids and I struggle, but, we are trying with all of our might. In some ways, I hate my husband for being able to change his diet without struggle.. It was like he just made up his mind and just did it. I'm still pinching my nose and choaking to get any kind of fish down...

What also has worked WONDERS: was when we changed ALL light blubs to amber and red (nightlights)..The kids FINALLY sleep through the night.. We hard wired our computers and shut off the wifi. We sold our tv and iPad. We no longer have everyday cellphones, but cheap pay as you go cell phones that are for emergancies only and that are off all the time.

I guess my question is that my husband seems to think that nonfluoridated water and coconut oil is the straight up cure to Autism. That to me sounds insane, espeically after all the time, money, and energy put into the other therapies. (I hate change as much as my kids do, but, everything I was after- weightloss by eatting shit loads of bacon, has actually worked, so, maybe not so insane..) I'm afriad that child protective services will be called if I send my kid to school with nothing to eat but coconut oil!! Does this work?!??? Why does it work?

Is this something to pursue?

PLEASE do a blog on just Autism. The Autism community NEEDS a new voice, view, and conversation.

Thanks for your time. :)

~Kate

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I did a podcast on it with Tim Jackson.......maybe someone can link it here..........I'll leave it open until the link is here via MTHFR support podcast.

3. Dextery

Dextery New Member

4. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

Thank you both!

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

closed...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.