1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Aussies and the donut hole!

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by caroline, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yep.......another clue.......what happens at those time ATL? specifically...........When seasons change we see phase transitions of what? That carries energy?

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

WATER? gas <-> Liquid <-> solid <-> gas

4. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Dr. K .... here are a few tidbits that are probably related to the answer you are looking for .....

Is there a hole over the Arctic? .... Unlike Antarctica, which is a continent surrounded by oceans, the Arctic is an ocean surrounded by mountainous continents. This means that the stratospheric circulation is much more irregular. Because it is not as cold as the Antarctic, stratospheric clouds are less common. So a deep ozone hole over the North Pole is unlikely, but limited ozone depletion can occur above parts of the Arctic, though it lasts only a few days at a time. http://www.theozonehole.com/basscience.htm

The ozone donut hole reaches its maximum size around the fall equinox. My intuition tells me that the graphs on this page are important to your question. http://www.theozonehole.com/2012ozonehole.htm

Polar night terminator: the delimiter between the polar night (continual darkness during winter over the Antarctic) and the encroaching sunlight. By the first week of October the polar night has ended at the South Pole. http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/publications/ozone-reports.html

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The sun's rays provide both light and heat to Earth, and regions that receive greater exposure warm to a greater extent. This is particularly true of the tropics, which experience less seasonal variation in incident sunlight. Moisture-laden tropical air warms, becomes less dense, and rises. But as air reaches the upper levels of the atmosphere, it cools. Water molecules condense to form clouds and eventually fall as rain. Warm air rising from Earth's surface pushes the air mass away from the equator, and releases its moisture as precipitation as it travels pole-ward

If the Earth did not spin on its axis, this cycle of evaporation, condensation, and precipitation would move water and air along a north-south axis from the equator to the poles. This, however, does not happen. Earth's spin creates three belts of circulation (Figure 2). Air circulates from the tropics to regions approximately 30° north and south latitude, where the air masses sink. This belt of air circulation is referred to as a Hadley cell, after George Hadley, who first described it (Holton 2004). Two additional belts of circulating air exist in the temperate latitudes (between 30° and 60° latitude) and near the poles (between 60° and 90° latitude).

The sinking air mass at 30˚ latitude drives two phenomena: It contributes to the formation of arid climates and drives circulation of air north and south of the tropics. Dry, even desert-like conditions often occur at 30˚ north and south latitude because the descending dry air draws moisture from the soil. As warm air rises in the tropics, cool air is drawn from surrounding areas to fill the void. This creates the trade winds that blow in subtropical regions. But some of the air that descends from the Hadley cell is drawn away from the equator toward the poles. This air mass creates winds that characterize weather patterns in the temperate zones.

Earth's rotation affects the oceans in a similar manner, setting up currents that flow within the ocean basins. Ocean currents are driven by surface winds, Earth's rotation, and differences in salinity.

Trade winds blow warm surface waters in tropical oceans and seas from east to west. Warm water pools along the west coast of continents, which sets up a temperature gradient across the ocean surface. Under normal conditions, the western Pacific is about 8°C warmer than the eastern Pacific, and this gradient contributes to the formation of clouds and precipitation in Australia, Indonesia, and parts of Africa. Disruption of this temperature gradient creates the event known as El Niño.

Movement of water away from the coast of Peru and Ecuador creates an upwelling, as cold water is drawn from below to fill the space. Similar conditions occur on the west coast of continents in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. These regions are the primary source of mixing between warmer surface waters and colder deep waters, which ordinarily remain separate on the basis of water density tied to temperature differential. The upwelling of nutrient-rich water contributes to the unusually high biological productivity of the coastal waters in these regions.

Just as Earth's rotation creates the prevailing winds, it creates surface currents within the oceans. Under the influence of the trade winds, surface waters near the equator flow from east to west. As in the atmosphere, the Coriolis force causes water to be deflected away from the equator (northward in the Northern Hemisphere, southward in the Southern Hemisphere). This Coriolis Effect sets up a rotational convection within the oceans, and currents typically flow in a clockwise rotation in the Northern Hemisphere and in a counter-clockwise direction in the Southern Hemisphere. As it reaches the poles, the water cools and sinks. Prevailing winds in northern and southern latitudes help to create cold-water surface currents that flow back toward the equator along the west coast of continents.

Surface waters freeze as they reach the arctic waters of the North Atlantic. The freezing process removes water molecules, but not salt, from the ocean. The result is an increase in the salinity of ocean waters. With increased salinity and decreased temperature comes greater density — water is densest at 4°C — and the water sinks to the ocean floor. This process sets up a large, slow, deep-water "conveyor belt" that transports water along the ocean floor to Antarctica then through the Indian, Pacific, and eventually Atlantic oceans.

Global Climate
    The combination of oceanic and atmospheric circulation drives global climate by redistributing heat and moisture. Areas located near the tropics remain warm and relatively wet throughout the year. In temperate regions, variation in solar input drives seasonal changes. In the Northern Hemisphere where land masses are more concentrated, these seasons can involve pronounced changes in temperature. In the Southern Hemisphere where large land masses are located nearer to the equator and the majority of Earth's surface is covered with water, seasonal cycles revolve around the presence and absence of precipitation rather than major swings in temperature.

Global climate patterns are dynamic: They are continually changing in response to solar radiation, atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations, and other climate forcing factors. Among the more predictable of these changes are cyclical changes in solar radiation reaching the poles. These cycles, first described by Milutin Milankovitch (1941), involve Earth's orbit, tilt, and the precession of the equinoxes. You may remember that I wrote about these cycles in the last chapter of my book. It was a critical piece of information on figuring out what constituted the Epi-paleo Rx.

Earth's elliptical orbit around the sun shifts under the gravitational pull of other planets in our solar system. In a 100,000-year cycle, the orbit shifts from one that is nearly circular to one that is elongated, pulling the planet further from its energy source, the sun! Earth's tilt relative to its orbit changes in a 41,000-year cycle from 21.5° to 24.5°; we are currently in the middle of this cycle with a tilt of 23.5°. Finally, the axis (north-south orientation) of the Earth wobbles over time. This 23,000-year precession of the equinoxes changes the orientation of the planet relative to its location in orbit. When all three Milankovitch cycles reinforce each other, they alter solar input and influence oceanic and atmospheric circulation patterns. This can lead to regular periods of cooling and glaciation.

Milankovitch cycles
    (A) High eccentricity in Earth's orbit takes it further away from the sun. (B) The degree of Earth's tilt relative to its plane of orbit changes the degree of warming in the polar regions. (C) Precession of the equinoxes occurs as Earth wobbles on its axis. All three cycles can influence warming and cooling periods by altering the amount of solar radiation that reaches Earth.
    The sun's incident angle drives the atmospheric currents via's it photoelectric properties..........but the donut hole has two other effects on the Southern Ocean.

Brent Patrick likes this.
  7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Interesting link -- Earth's Present Magnetic Field from NASA: http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/SWMF_RealTime_browse.cgi

My guess would be that the winter to spring transition in the southern hemisphere is when the solar wind starts to hit a particular region more directly, diminishing the magnetic field at that region. The same logic described in the '1918 Flu Pandemic' section of the recent 'Energy and Epigenetics 3' (EE3) post then follows.

I noticed that the 1918 Flu hit hardest during the Summer to early Autumn of 1920, and then rapidly declined to almost nothing in early 1921. Is there a corresponding change in magnetism that could be at root here? Or is this just the usual case that the virus mutated to a less harmful variety.

---

The Sun's magnetic field is supposedly set to flip again in the coming months, as part its regular 11-year cycle. I'll definitely be looking out to see how the magnetic strength of the field where I'm at (Australia) ends up faring. But as Dr Kruse mentioned in the EE3 post, the outlook is still pretty flaky.

---

My ancestry actually stems from South China, but I myself was born in Melbourne Australia.

Referencing the 'Does Where you Live Matter?' post, the part of China were my ancestors came from has very similar temperature and proximity to the ocean as where I am now, with what I think is slightly lower barometric pressure, similar average elevation (20+m in northern guangzhou vs 30+m in Melbourne). Obviously the longitudes vary wildly, though I'm only 2hrs apart latitude-wise from my place of ancestry.

I'm led to wonder how much of an effect that "mismatch" would have, but obviously haven't had the time to test it. Wouldn't relish the thought of running back to a polluted China right now (inundated by chemicals and EMF).

Any chance of a follow-up post to 'Does Where you Live Matter?' discussing some of the results that you found?

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

I really love what you say here .....in my opinion that should be your mission statement on the home paige. I think that is what a lot of us saw three years ago.

It was never about you making money from magnetico pads etc. It was always about all of us and the things we want to accomplish and that is slightly different for each and every one.

This forum has turned into a place of integrity - with everyone helping one another and looking for our own personal truth.
    It has become so much more.......

Thanx for hanging in - in spite of everything. You have a plan you are unfolding and I can't wait for all the ...more.....

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Very very very bright and introspective post........you will like the next installment.......in fact if you like our species.......we all should like it.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Jude! Did you get really brown last summer too? I was instinctively not going out if it was really hot until later in the day. There isn't much shade on my part of the beach but maybe this year I will go down to the yacht basin more.

I finally looked at the magnetico site last night. I thought the way everyone was talking that they were like $6000.00 or something. I think I would just get a single core pad....but I know it costs alot to ship here. Have you enquired? I sent them an email but it came back to me - so I have to redo it.

11. Jude

Jude Gold

Your memory isn't really playing tricks....I posted some figures ages ago for a family costing=3 to 4 pads which was a bit pricey.....but one :..that can be manageable....of course, I'm into grandkids.....:)

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Jude - I have just been to the dentist with more appointments to come.......so. .......I won't be getting a magnetico ....but .....he will! He is a really nice guy ...and he looks like Heston Blumenthal.....so it is all good!

13. Nick

Nick Gold

We paid US$2000 inc delivery for the 10G Queen bed and US$700 for the single 5G which seemed pretty good to me. My wife chatted to Andrea who was and remains a great help with questions. The original shipping price was a lot more but Magnetico worked out a much better postage rate. Hope this helps.

NDC74 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Gold

We paid US$2000 inc delivery for the 10G Queen bed and US$700 for the single 5G which seemed pretty good to me. My wife chatted to Andrea who was and remains a great help with questions. The original shipping price was a lot more but Magnetico worked out a much better postage rate. Hope this helps.

15. Nick

Nick Gold

Sorry, lost control of my browser

16. Nick

Nick Gold

Would love to. Same for you, If you are ever in Brisbane you are more than welcome to meet the family and have a coffee or meal with us.

17. freesia

freesia Old Member

That's way less than I'd have thought. (Good on Magnetico for making it work!!)
    I have the feeling I might get one for Christmas at those rates. :D

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Isn't the donut hole over Brisvegas?????? Have you figured all this out yet? I am not getting anywhere. I have to re read EE 3 again. It seems to me that that blog is everything we already know ....only in excruciating detail! I am right about that ? or what have I missed???

I hope our paths cross one of these days ....do you come to Sydney on business?

So - what did you pay for delivery for the magnetico? or is it just all lumped together?

Do you have your son back on the pad? so was it a little too strong for him? or just harder for a child to get used to it?
    Did you and your wife have any detox from it? Some people seem to have a problem initially. Vickie seem to be having a problem - but haven't heard much lately.
    The pad goes under the mattress correct? or can it be on top? I have a really thick and very heavy Latex mattress. It takes 4 strong people to lift easily!

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Do you think the pads would come into Sydney? Like if you got one and I got one and Jude got one or two.....I suppose they would arrive at the Sydney shipping terminal or do they come in by air?

20. Jude

Jude Gold

I pm'd Nick a couple of days ago with much the same question about freight. Thought it might be cheaper if I got mine via Bris rather than Syd...think a talk with Andrea is the only solution. Perhaps she may be able to do a deal for us if there are sufficient numbers for Sydney.

Nick, if it is ok, would you also share the reason for the 5G please? Perhaps that is all 2-3yrs olds need? Have a vested interest here. Can your wife remember the quote for a 20G to Bris? Thanks.