1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

astaxanthin....is it good to supplement?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by janagram, Jan 6, 2013.

1. janagram

janagram New Member

It seems like a great way to get antioxidants, etc. but I've read that it could deplete calcium a little..?...it's from....shellfish? so why would it do that? Is it a good thing to take?[​IMG]

2. Thor

Thor Banned

Why bother taking mother nature in a pill ? Eat mother nature for lunch - have some salmon and shrimp [​IMG]

An 8oz serving of Sockeye Salmon has 8 grams - that's double the amount used in clinical research studies. If you research it you'll find thousands of papers showing the benefits of Astaxanthin. Time to get my geek on lol.....

Astaxanthin classed as Carotenoid. Carotenoids are a family of natural fat-soluble nutrients important for antioxidant defense While over 600 carotenoids have been identified in nature, fewer than 50 are part of the human diet. Humans cannot synthesize carotenoids and must ingest them via algae, plants, fungi and seafood. There are two types of carotenoids (based on chemical structure): carotenes and xanthopylls. Lycopene and beta-carotene are examples of carotenes, while lutein, zeaxanthin, and astaxanthin are xanthopyll carotenoids.

In a 2011 study (Effects of astaxanthin on human blood rheology. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2008;43:69-74.), overweight individuals were randomized to receive astaxanthin and were compared to a control group with normal body weight (BMI <25.0 kg/m2) who received no intervention. The researchers measured markers of oxidative stress in the blood. At baseline, the obese individuals had significantly higher levels of two oxidative biomarkers: malondialdehyde (MDA) and isoprostanes (ISP). At the same time, plasma levels of two antioxidant measures – superoxide dismutase (SOD) and total antioxidant capacity (TAC) – were significantly lower in obese participants. In other words, the antioxidant defenses were down in the obese patients. After three weeks, the astaxanthin group showed significant lowering of oxidative markers MDA and ISP (both p<0.01), and they also had significant increases in SOD and TAC (p<0.001). Marked improvements on all four measures caused the overweight and obese subjects to become statistically indistinguishable from the control group, suggesting that astaxanthin supplementation lowered oxidative stress and improved aspects of the antioxidant defense system.

That same study researchers looked at whether Astaxanthin could improve blood flow. Better blood flow means better overall nutrition being delivered. Think of it this way - do you want a delivery truck with flat tires that takes 2 hours to ship a package or do you want a delivery truck that ships super fast? Same applies to your body and it's "delivery" truck - in this case it's your blood flow. In this study, Venous blood was forced using mild pressure through tiny “microchannels,†each just seven millionths of a meter wide, approximating the diameter of an red blood cell and the width of a capillary. The time required to traverse these capillary-type tubes under a set pressure was termed the transit time. Twenty men were randomly allocated to receive either astaxanthin or a placebo for 10 days. They tested their transit time both before and after the ten day period. Upon retest, the astaxanthin group had significantly faster transit time (p<0.05) compared to placebo. This study suggests astaxanthin could potentially improve microcirculation.

Here's another great research team: Astaxanthin might improve cognitive function. In a small, open-label trial, 10 healthy men ages 50-69, who had been complaining of forgetfulness, received astaxanthin (12 mg/day) for 12 weeks. (Preliminary clinical evaluation of toxicity and efficacy of a new astaxanthin-rich Haematococcus pluvialis extract. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2009;44:280-284.) On a computerized test designed to accurately detect early cognitive deterioration (“CogHealthâ€), they showed improvement in reaction time, attention, and working memory.

And, the best for last.... Astaxanthin helps boost our "powerhouses" into overdrive - Mitochondria improvement ! I'm surprised Astaxanthin wasn't mentioned in the December webinar as a booster to mitochondria output.

In a series of experiments with various cultured cell lines (Astaxanthin protects mitochondrial redox state and functional integrity against oxidative stress. J Nutr Biochem 2010;21:381-389.) , astaxanthin improved cell survival under oxidative stress. Astaxanthin reduced the mitochondria’s endogenous production of oxygen radicals and protected the mitochondria against a decline in membrane function that typically occurs over time in these cultures. But astaxanthin’s benefits went even further: it increased mitochondrial activity by increasing oxygen consumption without increasing generation of ROS. It actually made the mitochondria more effective. The researchers then inserted into the mitochondria another molecular probe that measured their ability to conserve glutathione and re-reduce oxidized biomolecules.25 The mitochondria were then challenged with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), a reactive oxygen species (ROS) that should normally oxidize and reverse this redox state. Astaxanthin was found to protect against the H2O2 oxidant effect. Its capacities both to protect mitochondria and to boost their energy efficiency makes this Carotenoid one mighty warrior fighting the war of Anti-aging.

I've started to notice my wrinkles have almost disappear - most guys may not notice wrinkles but I do. Having seafood that's loaded with astaxanthin helps get rid of wrinkles - it's mother natures way providing plastic surgery for free! Wooohooo...

One of the leaders in Skin Care is Dr. Nicholas Perricone MD, who highly recommends astaxanthin for reducing wrinkles and age spots, improving moisture levels, elasticity and smoothness, and for giving your skin a beautiful, healthy glow. In human trials, astaxanthin has been shown to reduce visible signs of UV-aging through dietary supplementation within 4 to 6 weeks of use. This data is supported by a number of in-vitro studies. Research suggests potential skin benefits from the use of astaxanthin to maintain a youthful appearance, reverse premature signs of aging - O’Connor & O’Brien (1998), et. all.

A double-blind placebo controlled study (Yamashita 2002), showed that astaxanthin in combination with tocotrienol, (a superior form of vitamin E), improved several aspects of overall skin condition. Eight female subjects with dry skin conditions (mean age 40 yrs) received daily doses containing 2 mg astaxanthin and 40 mg natural tocotrienols. Several types of data were collected at 2 and 4 weeks and compared to the initial baseline readings. Measurable differences were observed starting just 2 weeks after starting use of Astaxanthin. By the 4th week, the treated subjects with dry skin characteristics exhibited the following: increased moisture levels, consistent natural oils; reduction of fine wrinkles and a reduction in pimples.

Here is a list of the other ways astaxanthin supports the body:

■Functions as a powerful antioxidant, decreasing free radical damage to tissues, cells and even DNA – it’s 6,000 times more effective at protecting DNA than vitamin C
    â– Lowers elevated blood pressure
    â– Supports healthy digestion by preventing gastric ulcers
    â– Prevents eye fatigue and Age-Related Macular Degeneration
    â– It protects against at least seven types of cancer, including liver, colon & breast cancers
    â– Protects against skin damage from the sun
    â– Enhances the immune system
    â– Acts as an anti-inflammatory, reducing symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis - it also lowers the systemic inflammatory marker, C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
    â– Inhibits mercury damage to the kidneys

Human trials suggest that it is among the most beneficial of the antioxidants, and almost certainly the most beneficial carotenoid.

Hope that helps [​IMG] Clearly this Epi-Paleo diet has kick started my brain into working rather well lol

Jan Christer likes this.
  3. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Nice work Thor, i appreciate you getting your geek on, and am liking the epi paleo brain results you're seeing . Hopefully i'll see some of those soon too. Till then i'm happy to be able to sponge off yours [​IMG]

4. janagram

janagram New Member

Thanks, Thor! That's some great research!

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

it is good.......but you get it in seafood.......and if you have ever seen me eat shrimp.......i eat the shell for a reason

LBK likes this.
  6. maggie

maggie New Member

I don't like eating the shells, but I collect them in a baggie in the freezer and when I have a bunch I throw them into a batch of bone broth. I'm not sure how well astaxanthin survives the heat but I figured it's worth a try.

7. HelenaVon

HelenaVon New Member

Ewwwww!! eating the shell too?? Do you eat even the legs?!
    that is a little bit creepy to me but maybe doable if fried extra crispy :D