1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

ASP/HSL/Insulin

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

Hi Jack

1. if people eat fat with all meals, doesn't this cause secretion of ASP and inhibition of HSL, leading to fat storage ?

2. Should insulinotropic proteins be eaten with high fat meals ?

thanks

Barry

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Barry it theoretically can......but few people are zero carb for that long. We are designed to do it for maybe a few months during winter. I personally think that carbs are seasonal only......and proteins that are insulinotropic are mammals best 'carb' Even at the equator fruits are seasonal

3. Barry

Barry New Member

Sorry, this was meant to be posted in the "Ask Jack" section, but to follow on:

1. So cyclical ketogenic is what you think is best ?

2. If insulintropic proteins are eaten with high fats, is this not another way of gaining fat in adipose ? e.g. this is one of the recommendations that "some" make i.e. don't eat high fat foods with insulin producing foods

4. FF_BC

FF_BC New Member

I've never heard of "insulintropic proteins" before. Checked it out and the only text that i understood was this one: http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/494021 Are there other insulintropic proteins than from dairy products?

The conclusion I draw from this is that a ketogenic person could use dairy products post workout, instead of a small amount of carbs. This could be usefull perhaps in winter (since carbs are sessional), when wanting to be as low carb as possible?

As a Swede I have increased lactose tolerance and this could be usefull for me, especially if consuming unpasteurized dairyproducts. Unpasteurized dairy products contains a small amount lactase wich help break down lactose. Unfortunately unpasteurized dairy products are illegal in Sweden, but I know some farmers that could help with that ;)

Am I thinking right or am I lost in reasoning?

Concerning lactose tolerance I found this blog post: http://evolutiondiary.com/2007/02/27/early-europeans-lactose-tolerance/

5. Barry

Barry New Member

Certain amino acids like leucine, arginine and phenylalanine are insulintropic . If you look at whey insulin index , it is high , particularly the isolate or hydrolysed form. High concentrations of BCAA's illicit a strong insulin response due to the leucine and Iso-lleucine.

So foods rich in BCAA's , like dairy, will raise insulin . So yes, in answer to your question, I think dairy foods , if well tolerated and well sourced are good recovery foods, especially when keto adapted.

Amino's do other things as well like raise GLP-1 which causes insulin secretion but also improved insulin sensitivity .

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

body builders are now injecting insulin to lean out......

7. FF_BC

FF_BC New Member

Thanks for answers :)