1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

are your yellow tinted glasses sufficient? a simple test to find out.

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Entelechy, May 2, 2012.

1. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

Yes, not to mention the taxes that go along with that purchase!

2. curves64

curves64 Silver

I have to attend school next fall weekday evenings. Any recommendations for blockers that are both functional and fashionable? I'm aiming to minimize the dork factor if I can.

3. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

How about the original BluBlockers? http://www.blublocker.com/

Totally retro! Just make sure you purchase the actual blue blockers as they have other glasses now that don't block the blue light.

4. curves64

curves64 Silver

LOVE THEM! Hehehe maybe I won't be so dorky looking after all. Thanks Neaderthal!!

5. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I ordered the UVEX SCT-ORANGE from Amazon. They won't arrive until 5/31. In the meantime I pulled out my orange snowboarding goggles. Actually I have two pairs and did the CD refraction test on them. One pair clearly cut more blue light than the other but neither blocked it completely. The sound system on my home entertainment system has a blue light backed LCD display. Judging by that display I'm blocking about 70% of the blue light. Probably insufficient for my purposes.

What about light exposure on skin? I read on Robb Wolf's blog about some way the light passes through the skin and is partially absorbed by red blood cells. When those red blood cells reach the brain they communicate that there is light.

Remember the study done in Oregon that was mentioned in the Lights Out: Sugar, Sleep, and Survival book. They put a spot of light on the back of a participants knee and it reduced his melatonin significantly.

All that being said I'm still getting the glasses because I'll mostly be up watching TV for about an hour longer than I should be and I know they have a positive effect. I tend to bundle up as well (CT be damned!) so that I don't get skin exposure.

Would probably be easiest to just get a UVEX cover for my TV..... (or tweak the settings to simulate f.lux)

jesse

6. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

If anyone buys the blue blockers please do a side by side comparison with the UVEX!! Try to make it somewhat controlled so that we can know if we can go out in style or not.

jesse

p.s. the fact that my snowboarding goggles do a decent job of blocking blue light actually bothers me. don't need to reduce my cortisol while i'm snowboarding!!

7. MJ*

MJ* New Member

well the doc's been saying no sunglasses...I've been trying to adjust to this, it's hard!!! I was driving on the parkway and I was tearing up, squinting a lot...so yeah if you are snowboarding during the day you don't want to block light to your eyes...

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Last fall I ditched the sunglasses. Really focused on getting as much natural light as possible.

9. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Any problems adjusting, how about at the beach?

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Haven't had any issues. Even in snow, though I did wear goggle while snowboarding in feb. I'll be at the pool tomorrow w/out them. Though on Sunday when we bike ride up to Arlington a national Cemetery I'll wear them for bug protection!!!

11. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That's great it sounds like you're adjusting just fine...I have to keep at it...

12. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

@ Jesse: Or you could just use your t.v. as a monitor for a computer that has the f.lux program installed. It works for us as the only t.v. we watch is what is available on Hulu. Even if you have cable, maybe think about just switching to programming available via your computer right before bedtime.

13. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

Regarding ditching the sunglasses: I've done the same over the last 2 - 3 years. I believe it's contributed to my skin's ability to tan too. I'm very fair complected, but have a tan foundation now, which enables me to go without sunblock for non-lengthy exposures. A hat can really help shade a bit of the intense light from your eyes. I have light eyes & maybe an eye doctor wouldn't recommend it, but I also have a lifelong history of severe sleep deprivation, & I now sleep very well (overall). I wake around sunrise without an alarm & fall asleep usually before 10 p.m. (if I let myself). I've found early morning sunshine is quite beneficial (i.e. if you can have your cup of coffee, watching the sunrise) or any exposure before 9 or 10 a.m. before the sun gets intense. I've worked nights a good part of my life, & I've been able to reset my biological clock through natural means alone (sunlight & diet)--no supplements, & no prescription meds (ever).

14. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

If anyone has been able to get 100% blue-blocking glasses at any physical storefront (not online), could you share where you were able to find them? I've been searching on/off for several mos. with no success. It would be nice to try them on prior to purchase, but I guess that is wishful thinking. TheKid posted a link to Cocoons: www.cocoonseyewear.com

They also offer an orange lens that is 100% blue blocking. I checked one of their retailers (Lenscrafters), but they do not stock the orange lens. Personally, I'm only interested in getting a pair of 100% blue blocking lenses for wearing at home at night while I'm on the computer.

It looks like an online purchase is the only way to get 100% blue blocking lenses unless someone knows otherwise...

15. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I rarely wear sunglasses but I do wear contact lenses. Are my contact lenses blocking the light I should be getting? I'm going to get the UVEX to try. Are they comfortable? I don't have any problems falling asleep, but I do wake up to pee at night and sometimes have trouble falling asleep (mostly because I'm having a lot of stress in my life and this is when I think about it inevitably).

16. lioness7

lioness7 Gold

Just wondering whether or not you got your glasses- I purchased the cocoons this week at an optical shop (Canada $80.00) They sell all sorts of coccons but the orange lens ones had to be ordered in from B.C. which would take about 4/5 days to come in. The first shop had one pair fortunately in stock, the other one I had to order and wait. I love them! My brain feels lighter while wearing them. Would have never imagined. Now just to get everyone else in the house to wear them when they all come in...........

17. lioness7

lioness7 Gold

Just wondering whether or not you got your glasses- I purchased the cocoons this week at an optical shop (Canada $80.00) They sell all sorts of coccons but the orange lens ones had to be ordered in from B.C. which would take about 4/5 days to come in. The first shop had one pair fortunately in stock, the other one I had to order and wait. I love them! My brain feels lighter while wearing them. Would have never imagined. Now just to get everyone else in the house to wear them when they all come in...........

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I ordered a set of clipons. They came in today, only 4 days later. The lenses are darker than my Uvex goggles. They looks like they block the blue light (based on my looking at the gas stove burner) a bit better than the Uvex goggles.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh, I just did the CD test. The Uvex goggles are actually better than my blublocker clipons.

The Uvex lenses blocked all the purple and blue light, but with the blublocker lenses, I still could see a faint bit of blue light.

20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yeah the UVEX rock for blocking blue light, especially considering how inexpensive they are!

my "fashion Blue blockers" do a great job as well... everything blue or purple looks black.