1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

are your yellow tinted glasses sufficient? a simple test to find out.

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Entelechy, May 2, 2012.

1. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

So since everything in my kitchen is starting to turn yellow due to intensive use of turmeric I was wondering if I could just soak my eye glasses in turmeric water for a few days. Maybe I'm only half joking. No, I'm joking......?

2. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

I just tested Oakley yellow lens and they seem to do a good job at eliminating the blue spectrum on a CD. Now I need to get some type of protection in prescription strength.

3. LinD

LinD New Member

Someone mentioned a headache with these.... I can see, or rather feel this, too. I think the glasses don't fit me as well as they could, but the longer these are on, the less of a headache. Now I want go to sleep.

Sprint Samsung Epic

4. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Well it doesn't look like my Oakleys or any yellow or amber glasses I have purchased as yet block blue light well enough to stop it from illuminating off the CD. So, it looks like Zircs may be my only choice. I need prescription glasses BTW.

5. Entelechy

Entelechy New Member

you mean Zircs, from Zircadian? They are pricey, but if you are buying prescription glasses, they don't seem too bad at 700 bucks.

6. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Yep. Those are the only glasses so far I have found that might work. I don't want to spend that much money and find out later it was a waste. I may just wait until I get a day shift at work or my next job. Really, the best solution is to have control of your environment at night which I don't until 11:30 pm.

7. LinD

LinD New Member

Good news, the scale has been very kind last three days... Now I'm only 3.8# over LIW (of hCG injections) instead of almost 6#. Maybe it's because I started wearing the blue blocker glasses after sun down. Weird. I haven't been to this weight since January.

Over night we were expecting a huge rain storm... Woke up this morning and mentioned to DH guess the storm missed us. Nope. I slept through it all. Didn't hear a thing.

Sprint Samsung Epic

8. Birdy

Birdy New Member

Hey LinD, thats great!

9. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about NoIR blue blocking lenses? http://www.noir-medical.com/

Several months ago, I had done some cursory online research into getting blue blocking glasses or goggles to wear at night at home for reading and or using my computer, & had found only a few options that might truly be blue blocking--UVEX & NoIR lenses. I have yet to contact NoIR about the cost.

10. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

i ordered the cheap UVEX goggles from Amazon, got them last night.

I can't tell if I was getting sleepy because of them, or if it was just placebo effect because of this thread!

but what I thought was interesting is I could see much better at dusk. It was almost like a night vision effect.

11. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I noticed the same with my cheap-o UVEX safety glasses - walking the dog with them on at twightlight was a trip! :D After three nights of the glasses, I'm a believer. I've been getting sleepy earlier, getting to sleep sooner, and I seem to be sleeping deeper.

Plus, you know, they look totally hot.

12. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

That's fascinating. I don't have references handy but I was googling around and found some studies which supported the photoperiod effect on night time melatonin levels. But it also somehow implied that those participants that were getting maximum mid-day sun had a greater melatonin response. I don't have time really to dig that up again because I satisfied my own curiosity already... however, it does answer the question I get all the time from people if I end up recommending that they try blackout curtains and no ambient light sources in their bedrooms... "what about the moon and the stars, cavemen had to sleep outside a lot". And the answer is.. "well they also got ample sunlight which potentially kept their SCN receptive to the appropriate levels of light, in addition to the spectrum problem in that your clock radio kicks off blue-ish green light in the daylight spectrum"

take care,

jesse

13. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Yep. It is important to get a healthy balance of light and dark. Just like exercise and rest. It seems so simple when you think about it.

14. janagram

janagram New Member

I have the 9.99 pair from amazon....don't remember the brand. They allow some light to leak in...need goggles. Will check amazon for goggles. Any recommendations?

15. janagram

janagram New Member

I have the 9.99 pair from amazon....don't remember the brand. They allow some light to leak in...need goggles. Will check amazon for goggles. Any recommendations?

The ones on Jack Recommends are nonfitover....I need reading glasses....

16. Birdy

Birdy New Member

I wear goggles and a baseball cap, which keeps out most of the sidelight. It works pretty well most of the time. I use my hands to shield when going into a room with fluorescent lights.

17. Birdy

Birdy New Member

18. Jim

Jim New Member

19. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

20. Birdy

Birdy New Member

you can make tub ice out of the soda, but please don't drink it.