1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Are your blue blockers working?

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by PaulG, Apr 20, 2015.

1. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Recently I have swapped out my cumbersome blue blockers sunglasses which I wore onto of my normal glasses to look and feel like a freak to wearing prescription glasses with an amber tint but the new glasses allow more blue light in...Let's be honest Watching Game of Thrones or anything with 100% blue light blocking is a shit experience....

So, how to figure out how effective your glasses/blue blockers are for cutting out blue light..use this chart

[​IMG]

From Paleohacks

If you are not colour blind and your monitor has a normal colour range, the two bars should appear identical for any effective blue light filter. In theory you also could print out the image to test ambient filtered light sources (like light fittings or sodium lamps).

Quality of filters will vary from something no better than cellophane, up to EN207 laser protection visors (i.e. Argon/Krypton lasers in the case of "blue blocking" glasses). Considering the disability-adjusted life years of inadequate sleep; don't buy glasses lacking a spectrum graph/histogram data sheet. Unless you prefer wearing placebo glasses.

Most blue-light filters will halve the amount of light reaching the eye; for this reason strong care should be taken if driving at night with tinted glasses in a jurisdiction where this is otherwise legal. The same photosensitive ganglion cells, whose blue-light origin in sea dwelling animals controls our circadian rhythm, also controls our pupil dilation - hence the impression of brightness while wearing filtered glasses. Pupil dilation might not offset the overall light reduction in low light conditions.

Filtered glasses and light sources have proven to be far superior to any software solution I've experienced (f.lux for example); possibly due to the inflexibility of the operating system colour-space or the impure light spectrum of liquid crystal display.

Incidentally, if your PaleoHacking also includes an experiment with biphasic sleep, filtered glasses can be useful to avoid melatonin disruption during the sleep interregnum.

mrc, BrunoB, Brad Boyles and 6 others like this.
  2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Libus welders safety glasses here. They work. The bars look the same.
    Thanks Paul. I had been wondering if my cheapo solution was effective.

3. nicld

nicld Gold

Hmmm, the glasses I got for work do not seem to be blocking enough. Have to try this at home with my night time ones from Uvex. Looks like I might be looking for a better pair.

Update- Ok so I grabbed the pair of blueblocker sunglasses that I had in my purse and removed the f.flux and the colors were the same.

I also went and ordered a different pair of glasses since the ones that I have are not blocking enough. We will see how these test on Thursday.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  4. Nittygrittydanny

Nittygrittydanny New Member

Eagle Eyes are working as advertised!!!

5. JMO

JMO Silver

Thanks Paul. I just got some new blue light blocker reading glasses and they are not as effective as my Lowbluelights glasses but I was having a hard time reading with 2 pairs of glasses on. Actually f.lux and the new reading glasses together are pretty good. I just ordered a pair yday that had blue blocking coating so I'll be curious how those do. Anyone have the blue blocking Shields for iPhones, iPads like the ones Dave Asprey sells? Just wondering if they work?

6. JMO

JMO Silver

Lahelada likes this.
  7. nicld

nicld Gold

What kind did you get?

8. JMO

JMO Silver

Hi Nicole,
    They are from readingglassesetc.com and they are amber reading glasses.

9. nicld

nicld Gold

Thanks. I have some Gunnar's coming tomorrow. I have some Elecom's but after checking them against the spectum above it did not make a difference but now I am not sure how much should be blocked. I really do not want to wear my blue blocker safety glasses as work.

I do know that my amber UVEX ones do make the charts the same.

10. nicld

nicld Gold

So just got some Gunnar's and they are still not blocking out as much as my Uvex and I paid a bunch for these. I know at night I need to block blue light but now how much do I need to block during the day?

JMO likes this.
  11. nicld

nicld Gold

Here are my new Gunnars. They are a bit easier to see out of then my other ones. Not sure if they block out enough ir if I need to block out everything during the day. I will keep wearing the amber Uvex ones when the sun goes down at night.

20150423_105029.jpg

12. JMO

JMO Silver

So the AR coating blocks 415nm - 47onm. The tints block 280-550nm. Neither one of these make the chart above look the same. The Uvex is prob the best at night but I'm with you Nicole and not sure about the day. I might invest in a screen blocker that goes on the laptop as I work mostly at home in natural light.

nicld likes this.
  13. Penny

Penny New Member

mrc and JMO like this.
  14. Jacoby

Jacoby New Member

I have the Uvex s1933x I got off Amazon. Initially, they worked great, but now I'm getting more sensitive i think and need something better.

15. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I'm not sure if I understand this test.
    If my blue blockers were not working properly in what way would the two bars look different?

(edit) I figured it out. The f.lux was on (doh!!)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  16. Butters

Butters New Member

Yep my blublockers seem to block everything. Bars are the same. For 60 Euros I expected that :D

17. stevecronin

stevecronin New Member

I actually just generated a video on this a week ago! I have LED lights all over my apartment, and when I shine them blue, the lights literally dissapear with the BluBlocker glasses. If I shine them as red, however, they travel through the lenses fine. Dave Asprey has made a blue light blocking screen protector and I also have some plug in LED lights in my bathroom from lowbluelights.com!

Check out my video if you want for an in depth description :)

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Stevecronin, welcome! Just remember your skin can sense that blue light also...

John Nicholas and ValerieBee like this.
  19. stevecronin

stevecronin New Member

Thank you! Yeah that's a good point, I generally don't think about that. Luckily I have my apartment rigged to shut off most blue light at dark, but I've generally been focused too much on my eyes. Aghh!! :)

nonchalant likes this.
  20. Butters

Butters New Member

Is that skin effect huge? For example, when I watch TV in the evening with blueblockers and it is summer and I wear almost nothing, could it have a massive effect on sleep?

Cpt.Tired likes this.