1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Are there any Ice princesses?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Was thinking about the people who are doing the amazing human tricks are all men. Any leads on women that have gone full frost?

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Dara Torres. She puts less time in the pools& weights etc now that she's older & she keeps getting faster we'll see her at the Olympics as the oldest female athlete & the only women's swimmer who's been to 6 Olympic games.

CT has to have played some role w/her comeback in 2008. I read she spent a max of 1:30 min/day in the pool. Normal training time for elite swimmers is 2hrs 2x/day

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

There is a trainer on my FB list who is doing some big things but she wants to see how it goes longer term

4. Birdy

Birdy New Member

I probably was when I was younger. I am old enough to remember when pools weren't heated, and I was in them as much as I could, even in October if I could find one that was open. I didn't do super-human feats, but I was very thin and could run farther than any women I knew. When I started competitive swimming in a college heated pool, it probably wasn't much good, they keep it hot like a bathtub. I am working my way back towards ice princess. My goal is ocean swimming.

5. agatha

agatha New Member

Oh yes, Birdy, ocean swimming was one of my big goals too - and I've done it twice in the last week after 3 weeks of cold baths at home. It's just wonderful. Wearing a hat and neoprene gloves really helped though i looked entirely bonkers.

6. This reminds me that my mother was unknowingly raising my sibs and me to be ice princesses. When we were toddlers, she would always have us take our daily naps outdoors, in a bassinet or playpen. All year round! In the winter, she would layer blankets on us and she swore that we were all very healthy, no ear infections, colds. She did this on recommendation from her Irish grandmother. ALso same g-ma recommended cold dips in the ocean, as a cure-all for anything.

I did this with my daughter, my husband thought I was crazy, she would fall asleep in her stroller when I would take her for a walk, I would leave it in the back yard, under the kitchen window, and let her sleep in the cold. I did that til she was 4. She had 1 ear infection. No colds.

7. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I love this!!

I did have a lot of ear infections (probably due to being gluten intolerant) but I remember spending a lot of time as a kid playing in the snow in wet jeans and not being bothered by it or swimming in cold lakes or the river next to my house. I really didn't get sick much.- esp. compared to my friends' kids who really don't eat junk food, yet get sick every 6 weeks. I hardly had colds or coughs. I asked my mom about my siblings and I and she said "You kids rarely got sick."

8. Birdy

Birdy New Member

My mom was ALWAYS trying to get me out of the cold. I remember playing in the snow for hours, and would only come in when I was soaked to the core and turning blue. Then I would get a change of clothes and go out again. I just loved it, and spent most of that time alone because none of my friends liked to be outdoors that much.