1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Are supplemental fish oils always bad?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by ashryn, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ashryn

ashryn New Member

One of my goals on this journey is to learn to like eating fish, but at this point, I hate it. I keep trying to eat it every couple of days, and have been supplementing wild krill oil, and more recently wild salmon oil (a cost decision, will go back to krill when this lot is finished) to get my o3/o6 ratio in line. I have been reading a lot of hate for supplemental fish oils lately, but I can't get the reasons straight in my head <-- eat MOAR fish, right?

Can someone please tell me if I am better off getting some fish oil in supplement form than none at all?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

depends upon your current context........I personally do not like Fish oils much.....some is OK but I want you to eat BG 6 style.

Read this: http://www.jackkruse.com/is-fish-oil-good-or-bad/

3. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Ta Dr K,
    I have read it a couple of times, but taken with other things I've read on the site, it just got me more confused.. Will read it again now and see it it makes more sense today [​IMG]

Ok, here's what I get from the blog post..maybe writing it down will make it crystalise.
    1. We need more o6 than o3
    2. O6 travel an inflammatory pathway to produce arachidonic acid, which leads to prostaglandin production
    3. just because AA is needed for prostaglandin production doesn't mean it always occurs when there is o6. If the body has no need of them, it doesn't produce them from o6
    4. EFAs are produced when we need them, and we do need them sometimes so preventing the production of AA is pretty short sighted.
    5. AA is needed to create a platelet adhesion inhibitor that stops blood clotting when it is required, and it creates another substance that oxidises to seal wounds and creates the inflammatory pain response that assists healing by increasing the blood flow to the area and making it hurt so we are careful with the wound.
    6. O3 and o6 work together in wound healing, but o6 is needed for the fast response to an injury site
    7. A good ratio TO EAT is 6-1 but closer to 2:1 is better. <--so blood level ratios are likely to be different depending on how you are using them up
    8. The brain has a o6-3 ratio of 100:1, so it clearly wants it for something (some evidence of what it is important for, but not relevant to current question)

Conclusion: make sure the diet has a o6-3 ratio of 6:1 aiming for 2:1 as the best possible ratio. Eating more o3 than o6 might cause changes in VAP and HS CRP <--bad, but what specifically?
    PS supplemental fish oil is a PUFA and subject to peroxidation and ALE formation <--free radicals? "When taken improperly" <--what is the proper way to take them?

Answer to my question: no fish oil sups aren't always bad so long as they are good quality and you are taking them to ensure your dietary intake of o6:eek:3 is aiming at being 2:1

Thanks for the workout Dr K (I much prefer a brain workout to a cardio one ) Do I pass or fail?
    I need to go read up on VAP and hs CRP again to work out why that's bad, and PUFAs and ALEs and work out why we have to avoid this too..

4. Linz

Linz Gold

Ashryn,
    I think that krill oil is useful for pain relief once O6/3 ratio is good and is probably less harmful than the drugs which modify AA pathway to reduce pain.
    I have gut problems and can't use many common painkillers so I use krill oil ( and cold!).

5. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Oh! That's good to know.. My brother is allergic to painkillers, so i shall have to pass that on. Thanks!

6. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Dr K,
    I have been tracking my o3-o6 intake, and eating keto paleo style limiting nuts and chicken, i am struggling to get enough o6 compared to o3... Even if i dont supplement. Where does your o6 come from in your diet?

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

oils......EVOO, Bacon, Meat.......

8. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Note to self: EAT MORE BACON!
    Hehe