1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Are pickles (the regular Vlasic type) and liverwurst Epi-Paleo approved foods?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by furface, Dec 18, 2012.

1. furface

furface New Member

It's great to try and come up with interesting ideas for quick, healthy, meals, that are not only healthy, but also tasty, fill you up, but don't make you feel as if you've overeaten. You can even make extra, and keep them in the fridge for later.

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

@ furfaceso here comes the original version of sauerkraut from a real "Kraut"This is how my great grandmother, grandmother and mother and now me made it:Add water and pork ribs  to the Sauerkraut and cook it until it is soft (takes a while). when it is it done, cut onions in small pieces and sautee them until they are soft and sweet in pig fat or ghee. Then add locust bean gum to it to make it thick or any other thickener you prefer and add it so the sauerkraut. The sauerkraut then becomes sort of creamy. If you want and if it is allowed, add some white wine, champagne or Marsala and cook, until the alcohol is gone. You can also cook some juniper berries with it. Gives it a nice tang.It does not taste sour anymore at all. My mother used to add a little sugar, I add stevia but you don't really need it. It is fantastic with the ribs or also pigs feet. its phantastic.

If you cook it, then you have just destroyed all the wonderful things it holds for your gut.  I would cook with some but def. eat a lot raw and fermented.

3. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I just made liverwurst with deer liver and pork fat 50/50 with a lot of spice. The basic process is:

Google liver recipes for spice. I did traditional german spice mix.

Get a meat grinder

Slice liver and fat to size that fits into your grinder

Freeze liver and fat

Run frozen liver and fat through grinder, mix ground liver and fat with spice and cure(nitrate) by hand. Refreeze to stiffen. Run all through grinder 1 or 2 times until you like the consistency. I baked this in wide mouth pint ball jars in the crockpot on low with a thermometer until center is 160 deg. When cooked you want to cool it soon so the fat does not separate. I eat it with a spoon every morning with BAB. This stuff is a choline fatfest and it tastes good.

The best commercial liverwurst I have found in NY is Boar's Head Brand. It's the only one I have found that isn't full of ridiculous additives like sugar, milk and gluten

4. furface

furface New Member

Sounds awesome, vkiernan! I just may have to try that. Thanks for the recipe!

5. furface

furface New Member

I found some Bubbies pickles at Whole Foods. Also bought some Bubbies sauerkraut. Hope it's better than other sauerkraut I've had.

6. Charlotte

Charlotte New Member

@vkiernan

[​IMG]I know, thats why I eat the first few bites always raw before I cook the remaining. But it is really good when it is cooked like that.

7. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I've always hated Sauerkraut as well. Too bitter. But when I started reading about how good it is for you, I started eating the Bubbie's brand. I still don't love it, but I eat it with my seafood as in, on the same forkful. So it sort of "cuts down" the bitter taste. I also drink the Bubbie's Sauerkraut water and the pickle water as well, as I figure there's a lot of good stuff probably going down the drain.

I've learned that I don't have to absolutely love every single thing I eat. Dr. K. has said to stop using food as entertainment, which really hit me. So while I still don't eat certain things that I find extremely distasteful, if something like sauerkraut is so good for you and it's, say, a 4 out of 10 for me on the taste scale, well, then, I'll eat it. Almost every day.

8. furface

furface New Member

That's a great attitude to have, Pam! I'm usually a fast eater, so maybe I'll just shovel the sauerkraut into my big yahoo, and wolf it down. Or sprinkle some cinnamon and stevia on it. LOL

At times I still like to enjoy, and savour my food...I don't drink, don't smoke, don't party so having a nice tasty meal is the only "fun" I let myself indulge in. No one says you can't enjoy it, and still eat healthy at the same time. haha.  I figure if you enjoy it, you might actually eat it more often...esp if it's healthy for you.

9. jib

jib New Member

To my homemade kraut I usually make kind of a "salad".  

I use about 1/2 shredded carrot, 1/2 diced apple, 1 teas braggs org apple cider vinegar or lemon ju, black pepper to taste and a good sprinkling of extra virgin olive oil.   "warning" Very easy to "over eat" this, but so far I've really had no bad reactions.. [​IMG]

10. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

I wondered when you leave the Bubbies out of the fridge a few days do you open the jar?

11. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Heya furface, here's a good website on sea veg.. You can usually find some in your local oriental foods store (if you have those in your part of the world) http://www.oceanvegetables.com/harvesting-seaweed.html

12. furface

furface New Member

Thanks Ashryn. Living in Vancouver, B.C., we have tons of Oriental food stores here. I'll check them out.

13. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I don't but that is a good question. Anybody else know if you need to do that?

14. Martin

Martin Gold

I always hated it, too. We started eating it after learning about fermented foods and I could tolerate it with pork, even beef, just as long as it was some kind of meat to cut the sourness. I grew to almost, just maybe, like it.

Then I found Hengstenberg.

It's a lot milder and has no sugar and other crap. It does have white wine and I need to investigate sulfites - red wine only?

I crave it now. It may be that thru my Paleo eating, my tastes are changing.

I just found where I can order a case, but my ultimate goal is to grow my own cabbage and make my own. I do have an organic farm, after all!

15. Martin

Martin Gold

Follow-up on Hengstenberg kraut - white wine has sulfites. Time to keep looking for a more pure source.

I may get up the energy to finish my high tunnel down in the garden and get an early jump on the planting season this spring, grow my own damn cabbage, and make my own damn kraut. Looking to grow beets, spinach, carrots, and others that are on the list that CBS'ers can eat. Whether or not I have that polymorphism, they'll be good on the table, and fun to get back into the garden.

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Martin

I've been quite pleased w/my homemade kraut. some times its quite tart and tangy and other times its mild. the weather has a great impact on it - as does when you pull it from your fermentation crock. I have had several failures along with my successes. we're not quite ready to grow our own cabbage as of yet... our garden hasn't been producing of recent... hoping for a better crop of goodies this year!

17. endless

endless New Member

I wish that the difference between vinegar pickles/kraut and naturally fermented was made more clear in each blog that mentions them. There is such a huge difference! I have had to explain this to a few people who started buying sauerkraut for health reasons....unfortunately they were buying the vinegar/wine type...no beneficial bacteria at all!

I am still working on making a kraut I enjoy...for some reason I find it makes my teeth hurt!

18. Charlotte

Charlotte New Member

They have Hengstenberg without white wine also. It is a german company that makes it.

Foie gras. Don't eat that. If it is the stuff you get from France and Poland it is really gros. I do love liverwurst but did you ever see how they make foie gras?
    They stuff the geese, which means they put a fat pipe down their throat and that throat is loooong and then they pour mashed food down their throat until their stomachs almost explode. This stuff makes their liver become really fat 3-4 times their normal size. They sometimes also hurt their throats when they are not careful.
    You should see the geese after that torture. They gag and get all worked up. Can you imagine the stress? I cannot imagine that that stress level produces healthy livers.
    And while I do not mind eating all kinds of meat I do mind torturing animals to get a fatty liver paté.

Sorry if I desillusion you here a bit, but that is really terrible and when I saw that I swore never to eat that again.

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Charlotte - do you have a good recipe for liverwurst? One of my favorite things...

20. Martin

Martin Gold

Very interesting info, endless.

I just saw vinegar on the hi sulfate list, and spinach, too. Pickles, as well. But kraut is not on the list, but it's cabbage, fer gawd's sake. Maybe beet kavass? Need to look that up.

No oysters for two weeks in a row at the local grocery. I'm jonesin' bad.