1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Are pickles (the regular Vlasic type) and liverwurst Epi-Paleo approved foods?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by furface, Dec 18, 2012.

1. furface

furface New Member

Just wondering if pickles and liverwurst are Epi-Paleo approved foods?

If they are, I'm thinking that liverwurst spread on celery sticks might make for a quick, tasty "light" meal in place of a "full" meal on occasion.

Also, pickles would be fun to munch on during a meal if you don't want to have a "regular" vegetable.

Also to add some variety. And crunch. [​IMG]

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

liverwurst is always a win!  

as for pickles - you want fermented ones such as bubbies.  skip the vlasic - no live cultures that are good for you.   of course you can always learn  how to make your own...

I make my own saurkraut

Martha Ray likes this.
  3. furface

furface New Member

Thanks Shijin13.

I hope I can find Bubbies pickles somewhere here in the Vancouver area. As long as they're not like $20 for a miniscule sized jar.

I might learn how to make my own.

As far as sauerkraut goes...never was a big fan of it...too sour. LOL.

Great news on the liverwurst though.

Martha Ray likes this.
  4. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

Learn to make your own!
    Can't imagine it's a good time to find cukes for pickling in Vancouver though... probably not till summer.

Furface, not sure what kind of kraut you've had in the past, but if it was made with vinegar it would have tasted completely different than homemade. When I was a kid we would age our kraut on the cellar steps in a crock and it had a much stronger (and yummy to me) taste than the kraut I ferment on my counter top for 4 to 6 days (depending on the temp). My husband also says that he thinks that kraut made from red cabbage tastes less "krauty".

One of my new favorite things is to mix seaweed in with my cabbage for kraut (I ferment all of it together). Right now I'm having "Christmas Kraut" because I made a batch with red cabbage and seaweed. Who says we can't have special holiday treats!?!

But if you still aren't on board with the kraut you could try something like a giardiniera mix (but ferment it instead of putting it under vinegar and oil). Fermented ginger carrots are also good as well as garlic cloves.

This guy has some good recipes (you don't have to have the water lock): http://www.perfectpickler.com/pages/Recipes.html

5. furface

furface New Member

I've just had the regular type of sauerkraut before. Hey who knows, I might try and make my own. As I've said to Caroline, I may not delve fully into every aspect of this, but if I can get into 80-85% of this whole shebang, then that's better than nothing, and if that means I'll be 80-85% healthier than I would have been had I not, then that's fine with me. No one is going to live forever, so I don't expect "perfection", and am not looking for it either. To me life is too short either way to always be worried about every little detail about everything.

We can't always be "on guard", we have to chill and relax once in a while. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." (As in Jack Nicholson from the movie, "The Shining." haha

Oh I will try fermented veggies, and that red cabbage and seaweed sounds not too bad. I still need a place where I can find sea veggies. I asked at a SuperStore grocery store yesterday, and the produce manager had no idea what I was talking about. And that's one of our largest food chains here.

6. diane

diane Gold

You may have to go to a health food store to find the sea veggies. Or one that sells Japanese food as a lot of the sea veggies are used in Japanese cuisine. I have also found Bubbies pickles in certain health food stores. And luckily there's a store across the street from me that would order them for me. They hadn't realized that they were fermented, so were really grateful that I asked for them! 

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yes, they absolutely are.....and I pound them both regularly

Martha Ray likes this.
  8. furface

furface New Member

Good idea, Diane!

Awesome! Thanks Dr. Kruse! I love liverwurst...so squishy! [​IMG]

9. endless

endless New Member

Try the Tand T market...I think that's what it's called. The large asian grocery store. There used to be one in Metrotown mall and I'm sure there's got to be one in Richmond.

I made red cabbage sauerkraut and I definitely think it is mellower.

10. furface

furface New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Endless. I'll give T&T a try.

11. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

These guys out here taught me how to make my own sauerkraut and it is easy.  You can also save a little of the juice from the bubbies store bought sauerkraut and add it to your batch made from home to get it started.  They also taught me to leave the bubbies kruat and pickles on the counter for a few days to get things rollin' inside again as Bubbies has to lightly process it with heat.  I have also added pickling cukes to the leftover bubbies pickles juice to make another batch at home and just added more salt.  I did make the mistake of slicing the small cukes and that made them sort of mushy on the inside but still crunchy on the outside.  Next time I will not cut the little cukes first. 

Lots of great recipes on the net for making your own.    

12. furface

furface New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, Vkiernan! I'll check out some of our health food stores here when I get a chance.

13. Charlotte

Charlotte New Member

@ furface

so here comes the original version of sauerkraut from a real "Kraut"

This is how my great grandmother, grandmother and mother and now me made it:

Add water and pork ribs  to the Sauerkraut and cook it until it is soft (takes a while). when it is it done, cut onions in small pieces and sautee them until they are soft and sweet in pig fat or ghee. Then add locust bean gum to it to make it thick or any other thickener you prefer and add it so the sauerkraut. The sauerkraut then becomes sort of creamy. If you want and if it is allowed, add some white wine, champagne or Marsala and cook, until the alcohol is gone. You can also cook some juniper berries with it. Gives it a nice tang.

It does not taste sour anymore at all. My mother used to add a little sugar, I add stevia but you don't really need it. It is fantastic with the ribs or also pigs feet. its phantastic.

14. Inger

Inger Silver

I would be careful with store bought liverwurst [​IMG]. Check out the ingredients. Here I can only get pig liver liverwurst with all kind of additives in it.. so I eat only self made liverwurst from beef liver, should be grassfed at best. Very easy and delicious! Check out on google how to make it, it gives lots of different recipes, with precooked liver, raw and then in the oven baked.. whatever, they are all good!

15. furface

furface New Member

Thanks for the recipe, and info C.Adler, and Inger.

That sauerkraut does sound good. I might give it a try.

I'll be sure to check the label on the store brand liverwurst. If it doesn't look too bad though, I still may buy it if the price of the "specialty" type is something like $20 for a 2 inch tube, compared to $5 for the "regular" one at the store. I value my health, but I also value my $$ lol...esp being on a fixed income.

16. endless

endless New Member

Inger, do you have a favorite link for making your own liverwurst? I don't like buying the commercial stuff either. I do have access in the fall to local pastured pig livers and might try that next year! I have lots of bison liver in the freezer to use for now.

17. furface

furface New Member

Since we've been hit with a major snowstorm here in Vancouver, I wasn't able to go to a place like Whole Foods, or any other "specialty" type food store, so I had to settle for a small chub of Freybe's Fine Liverwurst. Not the best, but I don't think it's going to kill me. If the weather clears up, I'll look for a "better" option.

Anyway, just had my dinner, and I think I've found a new quickie meal...liverwurst spread over celery stalks. OMFG sooo Good, and so quick!

18. endless

endless New Member

Hmm, I'll have to try that. I have been just eating it with a spoon.

19. furface

furface New Member

It was just one of those things I thought I'd try. People spread cheez-whiz on celery all the time, so I figured, I'd give liverwurst a shot. I just used a teaspoon, scooped up some liverwurst, and spread it into the groove of the celery. I've been out of veggies for a few days, and was tired of eating just protein and fat, and wanted a quick healthy meal. The crunchiness of the celery makes a nice contrast to the smooth liverwurst. LOL

If you do try it, I hope you'll like it. [​IMG]

20. diane

diane Gold

I found foie gras in the grocery store near me (picked the one that didn't have added sugar, etc), and I spread it both on carrot sticks and bratwurst. Both were delicious, and was dinner for a few nights!