1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Are dangerous "pink light" and/or "pink filters" close to red light?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Ivan Ganchev, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ivan Ganchev

Ivan Ganchev New Member

Hello everybody,

I'm following Jack's work for almost two years, I listened and read a lot, but I still have some uncertainties, mostly about aspects of indoors light. I know from Jack that red light is the best after sinset (and I assume before sunrise) so we currently use mostly red lights and candles in the evening hours (some UVs are on the way and I'm planning to run all lightning on DC and to swith off AC completely after sunset (and throughout the whole night).

Reading John Ott's book (for third time), however I'm coming across information against the so called "pink light", and not just once, but a number of times in the book. One such fragment is at the end of my post. Even some cases of psychological disorders appearing as a result of wearing pink glasses are presented in Ott's book. And one really significant fragment is about the case with the exceptionally high rate of childhood leukemia among the children sitting under "ping CFL" in the school...

And it seems that he refers to "pink" as the light wavelengths which stands "between" the orange and the red parts which are indeed the parts recommended for after sunsed and before bed time lightning and even... for day use indoors (knowing that we have to compsate for the red/ir filtering effect of ordinary glass).
    What are your thoughts on that? I confess that I'm not only confused but worried is using red light (combined with IR) really safe in the first hours after sunset...

"When a female mink does not become pregnant after the first mating, it is common
    practice to give her an injection of a pregnant mare serum before attempting the second
    mating. This was not necessary with any of the female mink in the cages with the blue
    plastic, as all became pregnant after the first mating.
    But the situation was quite different with both males and females in the cages behind
    pink glass. After three attempts at mating the females, which included two injections of
    the pregnant mare serum, only 87 per cent became pregnant and 90 per cent of the males
    were classified as “non-working.”
    The principal investigator of the project was Alex Ott (no relation), who also advised that
    four animals under the pink glass died during the experiment from a strange malady that
    he had never seen before. An autopsy of each animal indicated what appeared to be a
    cancerous condition of the abdominal area including a number of vital organs."

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3. Ivan Ganchev

Ivan Ganchev New Member

Thanks for replying, JanSz.
    I completely agree with the fact, that pink (what we consider pink as) is not a part from the visible spectrum and no, I'm not trying to say that pink is close to the red (in terms of wavelengths) but I'm just trying to understand what J. Ott refers to when mentions the totaly health devastating effects of "pink lights" and pink plastics.

Here are somo more fragments of the book one can think on:

"In 1961, the Communicable Disease Center of the U. S. Public Health Service in Atlanta reported that a school in Niles, Illinois, had the highest rate of leukemia of any school in the country. In fact, it was five times the national average... With the curtains constantly closed, it was necessary to keep the artificial lights on in these two classrooms, and I learned from the head maintenance man that the original tubes installed were “warm white” fluorescents, which are very strong in the orange-pink part of the spectrum."

Here we have another clue, pointing the emitted part of the spectrum (no matter how it's called, pink or not) to a wavelength near the orange one. And we all know that indeed that part of the spectrum (orange to red and longer WL) are desired for both day and evening. As a supplementary light for day time (to compensate the loss of it after being being reflected from ordinary glasses) and as a "copy" of the most predominant lights at sunset - red and IR - in the evenings.

"He said that some of the staff at the radio station had taken it upon themselves to try to brighten up their surroundings in both the studios and the control rooms by replacing the regular white fluorescent tubes with those of a deep pink color. About two months later, they began to have personnel problems. For example, announcers began performing poorly on the air. Everyone became irritable and consistently at odds with management decisions and generally difficult to control. Two resignations were received from employees without any known reason for their wishing to leave other than general dissatisfaction with themselves and the staff.
    Then, one morning one of the men said, “If those pink bulbs aren’t removed I’ll go out of my mind.” That sparked an immediate reaction, and that very day all of the pink tubes were removed and replaced with the white tubes. Within a week, as if by a miracle,
    tempers ceased to flare, congeniality and a spirit of working together began to redevelop and resignations were withdrawn. The airwork improved, with mistakes at a minimum.
    "

And because I know many people here have read that particular book, as Jack offen recommends it, we can think and conclude together "what could be it?" - that color/sector of the vis. spectrum, the author is talking about.

4. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

The colour is not part of the spectrum per se but in the eagerness to make the light look warm they used coatings that gave a pink hue. You could see it in the actual tune actually. I wonder if they were the same that were forbidden in Germany during the early 80s on the behest of Fritz Hollwich. Nowadays I would stay away from any bulb that displays a white coating inside or outside.

5. Ivan Ganchev

Ivan Ganchev New Member

Thanks a lot, Lahelada!
    I'll read both posts from jack and hopefully I'll clear the picture a bit.
    But still, J. Ott mentions even directly that red light damages the cell, which had been ovserved during experiments. But I guess this had happened because of no other balancing parts of the spectrum. Not muh data about the experiments but I just wanted to be sure it's safe.

And.. My next question would be about the use of UV lights indoors so if you know about a topic/post discussing this in details I'd be happy to get a direction to it. It's about the "safe limit" of wavelengths a UV lamp should emit. My UV lamps (DC models) emit visible light and I'm not sure if it is slight above 400nm, which would be an issue for evening use, right?