1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Anyone with a good beef liver recipe?

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Tanya, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Yesterday I finally bought grassed beef liver and now I am looking for a recipe to use it. Absolutely, 100% fully cooked!!!! Still not sure why I even bought it in the first place because I hate liver with passion. :eek:....

Hope that this time it would be different somehow - I never thought that I would eat any seafood either, but now it is a different story....

2. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

3. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thanks, Rerun. It really looks good, but I don't think I am quite ready to incorporate all the ingredients listed there (eggs, vine, brandy), and without them, I am afraid it will not be the same....

4. Andrea

A more simple suggestion - if you're ok with dairy.

A plain, simple liver mousse/pâté
    400g chicken/lamb/beef liver
    butter
    200 ml heavy cream
    spices/herbs

Cut the liver in small pieces. Sear it in plenty of butter until it's done. Add salt & pepper and other herbs or spices (I used to add thyme and garlic when I did this).
    Mix the liver in a mixer, together with the cream and some extra butter.
    Pour the mixture into a sealable mold - it will be runny at this point, but will set in the fridge - and let set.

Christine_L and Tanya like this.
  5. raysblue

raysblue Silver

This is a simple! From Nigel Slater: Warm some butter in a shallow pan. Lay 4 slices of liver in the pan. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side (toasty brown edges are fine , but inside should still be rose pink) . Remove to a warm plate and pour a small glass of malbec red wine into the pan. Bubble stir and scrape then reduce by half over a high heat. Stir in 4 tablespoons of course paleo apple and onion chutney. Slide the liver in and serve. Enjoy!

Shijin13 likes this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thank you, raysblue:)

7. Tanya

Tanya Gold

This is more doable, I think... If I substitute butter with ghee and heavy cream with coconut milk, I hope that it still might resemble the original version of it. Thanks again, Rerun:)

8. nicld

nicld Gold

I make liver tacos. Take the liver and slice it thin, fry it in some oil and lots of chipotle and jalepenos. Makes it fairly tolerable and the DH LOVES it and he loves liver. I just use lettuce as the wraps.

I have also cooked it, chopped it up fairly fine and added it to my "earthy" soup. It's made with bone broth, cabbage, rutabaga, carrots and onions. Also add some ground beef to it.

Oh and my hats off to those who can eat it raw, tried it this weekend and not for me.

Tanya likes this.
  9. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I like the soup idea - I can probably disguise just about anything in it...lol I still must avoid, however, chipotle and jalapeños - It must be frustrating to try to help someone with all these food limitations.... Thank you so much for the recipes, Nicole:)

10. Marie

Marie New Member

Soak 1 lb of calf liver overnight in milk.

Saute covered on low heat:
    4-6 cups (or more) of chopped white onions
    1-2 TBS chopped garlic
    A dash of salt
    1 TBS cinnamon (Yes this sounds like a lot)

Rinse liver removing traces of milk
    Chop the liver into 1 inch cubes

When the onions are glassy, add the liver cubes.
    Cover and simmer on low heat for 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally.

The result should be "sweet" with a subtle liver flavor.

11. Andrea

I suppose the milk will remove some of the flavor. Good one!
    Cinnamon with liver? Interesting! Will try that next week.

Tanya, in case you still would feel that you just can't eat the liver, there's one "last resort". :)
    Run it through a food processor and blend it with minced meat (or run some meat through the food processor as well) - 50/50 ought to do. Then make hamburgers or meat balls of the mix, adding an egg if necessary to keep the mix together. You could add some onion and spices to the mince as well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  12. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thank you for all the ideas, Rerun and Marie. At this point, I should be able to whip up something.....However, without using any dairy, nightshades or eggs, it will probably resemble more of a mad scientist project then a gourmet cooking:D

13. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Last weekend I made beef liver sous vide. It came out almost like a paté, you could have used it as a spread. I really liked but I'm sure some who like fried liver would like the consistency together with the intense liver taste.

14. cantweight

cantweight Gold

The lady that runs the farm I buy my meat from told me she keeps hers frozen and whenever she makes something with ground meat she just finely grates some of the frozen liver in while cooking and her family is none the wiser...Ive yet to try it, still so turned off to the idea.

nicld, Tanya and Shijin13 like this.
  15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

DH makes awesome liver Onions and mushrooms

sautéed in butter & a little red wine
    carmelizes the onions first, adds the shrooms then tosses in the liver. oh so good!

Tanya likes this.
  16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I've got liver burgers like this in the freezer - they're great! Dana gave me the idea as well Christi!

cantweight likes this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thank Gretchen:) There is nothing in your recipe that I cannot use and I do like all the ingredients that you listed!

18. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thanks Christi:) The liver that I bought is actually frozen and there are several pieces in there. I am going to save a small one and maybe give that a try as well....

19. Marie

Marie New Member

Yes, the milk soak seems to kill 80% of the offensive "liver" flavor. It does take quite a bit of rinsing to get rid of the milk, so be forewarned. The cinnamon gives it a Mediterranean spin.

This is the only way I've been able to eat liver.

20. JMO

JMO Gold

Here's a good recipe for liver - http://thehealthyfoodie.com/beef-liver-with-fig-bacon-and-caramelized-onion-compote/. I use to gag when I first ate liver, now it's not bad. I use bubbies horeseradish in a little whipped cream (no sugar--just whip the cream) or sour cream if I cook just liver with onions--all you can taste is horseradish--which I love! I soak it in some lemon juice before cooking---don't cook too long or it gets rubbery.

Here's a tip for eating raw liver. I get some grassfed liver which comes frozen. I let it unthaw slightly until I can cut it in bite size pieces. Then I refreeze all the pieces then put them in a bowl in my freezer so I can take out one piece at a time. I let it slightly unthaw then I bite down on it a couple times and swallow followed by a big drink of water. Dont let it unthaw too much or you have that gross liver texture. Just a bite a day, by the end of the week I prob had an entire piece of raw liver.

Tanya and cantweight like this.