1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Anyone made crab broth?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Tff, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Tff

Tff New Member

Has anyone made crab broth? I've googled and didnt find much.

Im thinking to just throw 3-4 crabs in a pot and simmer for 1-2 hours, not sure if shell will disintegrate or be somewhat edible!
    Its the whole animal(eyes, organs etc) so should contain far more nutrients than cow/lamb bone broth.

Any crab tips? Im a crab newbie. Here's what i found:

1 Apparently blue crabs have 'dead mans fingers'(gills), but they are not poisonous.
    http://msbayoulady.blogspot.sg/2012/07/the-dreaded-dead-mans-fingers-strike.html

2 Only buy live crabs, due to potential bacteria in dead ones.

3 Many people love the strong-tasting, yellow stuff inside a Crab. It is a gland that branches out on both sides of the Crab's stomach to function as its liver and pancreas. In areas where the water may be doubtful, it's best not to eat this, as part of its function is to filter impurities, so any chemical contaminants will be concentrated in the mustard. (I'd ignore this tip and eat it!)

Thanks!!

2. Inger

Inger Silver

Well.... a a waitress.. I know many chefs (the good ones ;)..) make crab broth for the base of their crab soups. They cook the shells many hours. Tastes delicious!
    My boss makes broth of shrimp shells that he cooks the whole night.
    I imagine the broth must have lots of minerals in it for sure!
    I would maybe to it that way.. cook the crab shortly, save the water.. eat the meat... put the shells back in the pot and let simmer for hours :)