1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

anyone hack my labs

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Joann, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Joann

Joann New Member

Janz, May I ask one more .....What would screw up Desaturase?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

desaturases compete for omega 3's and 6's. The biggest issue is the proper amounts in a dietary context. This is why the optimal range is tight for a human with a big brain......3:1 or 6:1 you go over or under you aint optimal. This is why Wolf's book fish oil calculator was a big problem for me when the book came out. But you get a lot of bad press when you point out the mistakes in paleo land.

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

http://jackkruse.com/is-fish-oil-good-or-bad/

Earth Monkey likes this.
  4. Joann

Joann New Member

Janz, I know it is better to eat than supplement. BUT would I harm myself if I supplemented with DHA and maybe borage seed oil for GLA, anti inflamatory effect?

Since I was going through root canal redo with big infection in May and june.....lot of antibiotics maybe my tests are more screwed up than they would be....maybe they would be just as screwed.

I really like to push for anti inflammatory protocol and then retest with the best tests.

Thanks,

Joann

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

So the answer is NO.

When you would eat Fish or Krill oils you will make your situation worse in regard to already high EPA.

But I know of DHA from algae, possibly you could use that.

http://www.allthingsmale.com/forum/showthread.php?20061-Dr.-Patricia-Kane/page12

-----------

You already have way too much GLA, no sense adding more.

I do not know what is really within supplement that is supposed to increase AA (they call it proprietary).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mn/x-factor-advanced.html;jsessionid=12A090D487FE69026BC79593F24BF168

ARASYN™ 40% Arachidonic Acid Oil In A Proprietary Fatty Acid/Oil Blend, Ultra Purified Omega-3 Concentrated Fish Oil, Boswellia Serrata Resin 18%

Possibly someone knows of better AA source.

==============================

Really best way would be for you to do Spectracell analysis, and start there.

Some fats would improve just by having better micronutrients (about 40 of them).

6. Joann

Joann New Member

ARASYN™ 40% Arachidonic Acid Oil In A Proprietary Fatty Acid/Oil Blend, Ultra Purified Omega-3 Concentrated Fish Oil, Boswellia Serrata Resin 18%

Fish oil in above????

Janz, how can it be no AA if was eating eggs and red meat? (thinking out loud) all EPA I supposedly have ??? from fish that I wasnt eating much.

makes me wonder about the test.

much appreciate your input

Joann

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Ok,

on a cheap,

try this:

Country Life® Vitamins - BETAINE HYDROCHLORIDE 600 mg with Pepsin (250 Tablets)

http://www.nuvalife.com/store/productView.aspx?ec=1&idProduct=17354&prodId=227&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cpc&b=NexTag_NVL_227_NexTag_NVL_17354_00_*GeoUSCA*

Your Price†: $4.09

[​IMG]

========================

With each meal try to eat as many of this pills as you are able.

Start with one tablet/meal. Increase by one tablet, so you can see how you react to it.

It is gastric acid, it will help you with digestion.

Newer use any antacids, Unless tested and have actually confirmed high gastric acid.

High gastric acid is rare.

Low gastric acid is extremely common.

8. Joann

Joann New Member

It is not what we eat, it is what we do with it.

Free range, grass fed meats are what we should eat. They contain less omega6 in relation to omega3.

Meat from supermarkets contains higher amounts of omega6.

I would like to reconcile that wisdom with another (fact??).

Aging population, and or nutrient defficient, develops problem with enzyme Delta-6 desaturase (converts LA into GLA) (they are omega-6)

down the same omega-6 line defficiencies in AA develops.

When I listen to a health program over the radio, supplementing with omega6 (GLA & AA) is often big part of the program.

Janz, sound familiar? :) found your post in http://jackkruse.com/is-fish-oil-good-or-bad/

So the age is the culprit.

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Yes, make sure to not get old. Pamper your telomeres.

I suggest that you use good filter when listening to radio programs.

GLA you have plenty.

Have you heard about suggestions on how to supplement with AA.

Post name of that product.

Desaturase enzymes are impaired when overly high amounts of transfats are present.

Highly correlated with Elaidic Acid

I think that may be

C18:1w9t Elaidic (hydrogenated vegetable oils)

Likely also some other.

Excess insulin is also likely contributor

High EPA levels also suppress AA

There is also long list of vitamin and mineral co-factors

B2

B3

B6

C

insulin

Zn

Mg

B5

Biotin

You need to test all this and make appropriate corrections.

///////////////

So far dr K is just warming up to fatty acids.

He promised to do separate blog on just that topic.

I can hardly wait for that treat.

But one filter should always be used when reading dr K message.

He is using tons of tests on his (paying) patients.

So when someone supplements with this or that it is supported by tests.

10. Joann

Joann New Member

Janz, dr k was not concerned much by my omega score.....

But it bothers me.

I only used olive oil and not that much. I am going to buy all those supplements you suggest and then retest. No problem with sea food I love seafood. go back to east coast and hang out at clam bars. haha

oh, and grope around in the dark

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

///////

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

The Fatty Acid Profile: Dietary Intake and Beyond

http://www.metametrix.com/files/learning-center/articles/The-Fatty-Acid-Profile-Dietary-Intake-and-Beyond.pdf

Figure 4. This pattern was found in a 54 year old male who, prior to specimen collection, had been eating salmon 4-5 times per week

for 1.5 months plus supplementing with 2,000 mg of fish oil and 600 mg of flax oil per day. All four members of omega-3 fatty acids are

found in the fifth quintile. Fifth quintile linoleic acid with arachidonic acid in the first quintile shows a significant suppression of delta-6

desaturation. The AA/EPA ratio is in the first quintile, but not yet 2 standard deviations from the mean. However, continuing this level of

omega-3 oil supplementation can further suppress AA formation to generate a very low AA/EPA ratio. There are no clear adverse clinical

consequences at this stage, but the data provides a warning of the potential for crossing into clinically suppressed
    AA status and various

consequences of sustained high peroxisome status, so supplementation of omega-3 enriched oils should be monitored.

13. Joann

Joann New Member

Have you heard about suggestions on how to supplement with AA.

Post name of that product.

I will look around, but I'm thinking most write ups on AA are ant AA since SAD diet is full of AA.

Eat a steak or eggs? hopefully, your telomeres are longer than mine lol and the red meat will pump up your AA. Yes?

Joann

14. Joann

Joann New Member

I really like the info in link above!!!

from what I can make out: my EPA: DGLA = .575

AA : EPA = 14.04

LA : DGLA = 40.55

I dont know what Triene :Tetraene means?

also thinking out loud......eating grass fed meat $$$, and pastured eggs $$$ and butter $$$ is different in AA? if eating grain fed meat maybe more AA?

I could be over thinking this

Joann