1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Anyone else get hives (cold urticaria) with CT?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Claudia, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I had a hives a week or so ago and they were pretty bad, only on the areas where I used ice while in the cold bath (on my abdomen, chest, and neck and chin area). I stopped CTing and waited until the hives were gone about 5 days. I started over with face dunks and showers and then, baths again and I am up to 25 minutes in a cold bath, with water about 53 degrees, and able to tolerate it ok (not easy but ok). Scared to use ice again while in there so no ice. But I did buy some of those bubble wrap ice packs thingies and used one very briefly on my tummy yesterday just to try it out, I had 2 shirts between me and the pack. My skin seemed fine yesterday (and I did not do my cold bath yesterday) until today where I noticed it was very sore and thought it had to do with some core exercises I had done a few days ago. Then, I looked, and it looks like the hives are back on my tummy, very red and sore. Very weird stuff. From only about 5 minutes on my tummy

Back to just cold baths for me. Curious if I'm the only one who has had this in this forum. I've been paleo for 2 years, before that I had a pretty decent diet for about 7 years (WAP-style).

2. dinglebutt

dinglebutt New Member

According to Kruse: http://jackkruse.com/the-evolution-of-the-leptin-rx/

" If you develop cold urticaria at this time, this is a sign you have high levels of tissue and serum omega six content. Stop the experiment and adjust your diet until you have a blood omega six to three ratio that is below 10 to 1 using a ketogenic paleolithic diet. "

3. JC2K

JC2K New Member

No problems here as of yet.

4. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks, I read that and I will try to get it tested if I doctor will go for it, but I've been paleo/ketogenic for 2 years...very strict low carb all of the time, no sugar. I have been using krill oil way before it became popular, for years and years, and fish oil and cod liver oil. I eat salmon every week, also for years. It just seems very unlikely that this could be the problem. I don't eat anything high in omega 6. I haven't touched processed foods in years, don't use vegetable oils (only coconut oil, butter). I know something is probably off with me. I could have some omega 6 from previous years stored in the fat I need to lose, but I only need to lose 8 lbs. or so. I've added even more fish and extra krill oil in the last couple of weeks.

5. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Good for you!

6. joyfuljoyful

joyfuljoyful New Member

I had hives after trying my first cold shower. That was about 5 days ago. Since then I've been doing cold baths ( 52 or 53 degrees). I haven't had the hives again. Do you have a history of getting hives? I had horrible allergies for years where I would get hives often, and I would get them very often in cold weather. (at its worst, I couldn't stay outside in the cold, even while bundled, even for a couple min.) I always thought the cold weather hives were related to the allergies I had. I'm so thankful that I'm able to do the cold baths, I could have never imagined doing them just a couple years ago!

The hives I had after the cold shower were gone in the same day (not sure exactly how long it took, but they were gone pretty fast). But I wonder if that's because my body has so much 'experience' with hives in the past!

I'm glad that you have found something that seems to work for you .... Maybe you just need to take it slow?

7. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks. I'm sorry you have had that problem. No history of hives, never had them my whole life. So weird to have them now. I have it bad on my tummy again, sore this morning still, and that's from just few minutes with a gel back on my tummy and clothes in between, not a compression shirt either. Are you adding ice to get the water to that temp? Does your skin get to that temp also? The cold baths seem to be ok for me, but the tap warming is starting to get warmer here in NY. It was around 52 and now it's closer to 55. I didn't take the bath last night because of the hives on my tummy again. This is such a bummer. I guess I do have to take it slow, which is fine, but will I still cold adapt without ice?

8. joyfuljoyful

joyfuljoyful New Member

I just started to add ice packs (just the freezer packs that I put in lunches) to keep the bath water a bit colder. Out of the tap it is about 52 degrees and with the ice packs after 30 minutes it is 53 degrees. I'm going to stock up on some more ice packs to progressively cool the water. It seems cheap and easier than doing ice.

I haven't been able to check my skin temp's, since I use my digital meat themometer to test the bath water and it wont work on skin (I tried ;) )

Dr. Kruse said that cold adaptation is 'cumulative'....so any time you expose yourself to any kind of cold, you are doing a good thing! Even if it feels like 'something small', you are headed in the right direction. I try to look at it like any little bit helps. Try to look at the big picture, of where you are headed, and try not to fret about how quick (or slow) you will get there. Just do what you can each day, and try to keep perspective. I think one thing that really helped me in CT is that I already had the signs of LS. Are you Leptin Sensitive now, or have signs of it? Dr. Kruse says that the more Leptin Sensitive you are, the easier you'll cold adapt. I started with the Leptin Reset at the end of December, had the signs of LS in early February, and just last week started CT. I have had set-backs since starting the Reset (discovering a pork sensitivity, which caused me to feel like garbage for weeks before I realized it.....and then gaining 5 lbs and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what that was....and now I'm trying to heal my gut too....still am up 3 lbs, hoping to lose that and another couple lbs) but I try to think of the big picture: I have embraced this as a lifestyle, and I really have no plans of going back to what Conventional Wisdom says is 'healthy'. So I had to tell myself that if look me longer than I hoped, that in the long run it's ok! Since every day that we are making the truly healthy choices we are doing a great thing! And I'm thankful to have started it when I did, as opposed to waiting another 5 years.

You are doing a good job. Try not to be stressed or discouraged. You are headed in the right direction, just take it slow and remind yourself that every little bit helps!:D

9. dinglebutt

dinglebutt New Member

Are pink areas the same thing? I've been using ice packs on my stomach and noticed this morning that there are two pinkish areas on my stomach where I've been placing the packs. They don't hurt or itch or anything, though. They're just... there, haha.

10. Claudia

Claudia New Member

When did you put on the packs? Yesterday? I find it odd that I did mine on Monday for such a brief period of time and then, nothing appeared until later on Tuesday. Are your pink spots still there? Mine don't go away and they are raised and sore. It feels like I did ab work, hundreds of crunches. Hopefully yours are just spots. This isn't fun.

11. Julie

Julie New Member

Hi! I posted this on another thread... I started CT and followed the protocol exactly. Worked my way up to baths and had taken six with no problem. My last one was really cold. And the next morning I woke up with white bumps/hives on the tops of my legs. Now three days later the are itching. Ughhhh! I'm afraid I have really hurt myself. I think it's so weird that this happened three weeks in to the protocol. What are you doing to control symptoms? Any ideas? Thanks!

12. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Do you know the temp of the water? It was probably too cold. I think we are moving too fast. Were you fine when you did the ice only part of the protocol? The only thing I am doing is avoiding cold for right now until my hives are gone. I may take a cold bath tonight but keep my tummy out, which isn't so hard to do because my tub is so shallow anyway. My hives are better today but still sore to the touch and mine are raised and red.

13. Marsha

Marsha New Member

Just a warning so you don't make the same mistake I did!!!

While watching Frozen Planet last night, I decided to ice my belly with a gel pad and compression belt. Really enjoyed the show and when it was over, removed my 'getup' - belly was very numb - then noticed some stinging high up on my belly. The gel pad had pressed directly against my skin, while I thought I was protected by the tights I had pulled up high - they must have inched down during the show and because I was numb in that area, I didn't realize it.

[​IMG]

It burns like crazy :( even today - even after applying CO and an aloe leaf!

I'll certainly be more careful from now on!

14. Ok Marsha! Picture was worth it, I did the EXACT same thing. . compression shirt had moved and I didn't realize I burned my belly. A big swath all across. It's been over 1 week now, still somewhat numbish - and the burning lasted several days. Just like a sunburn. it's still slightly off color too.

15. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I got a tummy burn too, ice pack was over my shirt and only on for 8 minutes! and here I thought I was going super slow... :( Once skin returns to normal, think I'll ditch the compression shirt & try something a little thicker to see how that goes.

16. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Yep, that's what my hives looked like...maybe the second time it was an ice burn and not hives.

17. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

I'm starting to wonder if mine might actually be cold urticaria, but is it possible for it to appear on my head/neck, the only two parts NEVER immersed?

18. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

Ok, so it's looking like a weird cold urticaria: "Localized cold reflex urticaria leads to symptoms of hives and swelling away from the area of direct exposure to cold. An ice-cube test on the arm may cause hives to form a few inches away from the site of ice-cube application, for example."

So how long will it last?? This most recent re-flare has been going on several days :( Aside from antihistimines (which I'm taking) and quitting CT, how do you treat it?

19. MingP

MingP New. Gold. Thirsty.

V late to the party, but I thought u might wanna check this post out:

https://allergylosangeles.com/allergy-blog/altered-gut-microbes-chronic-hives/

Disclaimer: Not a doctor. Bio-hacking, like everyone else.

So I reason, that if hives is a function of microbiome, and from Vermont 2018, the sun is a strong builder of the microbiome, then we should get our backsides out into the sun alot more.
    Perhaps things like kim chi, saurkraut, naato and other fermented foods might help too.

My daughter had an infection from a bite, the doc gave augmentin, which destroyed her gut flora, resulting in acute stomach pain and also hives.
    I'm really fucking pissed off.
    There's certainly a better way to treat this shit.