1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Anyone bodybuilding?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Butters, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

I am curious if anyone here in the forums do bodybuilding and how it is going. Is it possible do get better results with CT training along? Have I to eat like a shark and really overdo it with the (good) food?
    How is it going in the winter time with almost no carbs? Are you making progress? Even better than in summer?

2. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Define bodybuilding?

3. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

4. oceanwild

oceanwild New Member

hi there, u have any plan on it? like diet, supplement, and heavy lift ?

5. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

^^ define your goals and identify required factors for optimal, decide how far you are willing to potentially trade for optimal, find yourself a respected coach in the field whose training aligns to your goals and tradeoffs, and commit to the plan...

6. Alex Fergus

Alex Fergus New Member

Hey.

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say hi.

I'm an ex Bodybuilder, I have also done a lot of powerlifting.

I still strength train, but my focus in health now (saying that I'm probably in better shape than my BBer days!).

I dieted down for my shows using a cyclic keto diet. It wasn't anything like it is today, but I was eating bacon and eggs for breakfast during my 12 week diet. I got down to ~5% and I won a national title.

I would be curious doing another comp using the tips and tricks (such as CT) i have learnt over the years. But I think BBing really messed me up. Years of overtraining, poor recovery, too many stimulants (I was all natural, but was taking far too much caffiene for example) and too much protein.
    Anyway, I still train and coach Bodybuilders, so if you have any questions hit me up.

Cheers

7. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Hi Alex,

Sometimes I think that our environment changed so much over the years that the constant beating we put on our bodies and the constant shovelling in of 6 meals a day along with out-of-season food intake that only a few would get through without health problems or injuries. I never made it to the stage, but I always think of how to make it happen combining what I learn on here, but I would have to completely overhaul my current life to balance that health tradeoff I now know comes with it.

My current plan which I am finding to work well is to run with a strength based program during the winter months (JoeD program) and then mountaindog during the months when I get amble sunshine to support increased carb intake and some intra-workout.

I am in Adelaide... do you run your own facility over in Sydney??

Rob

8. Alex Fergus

Alex Fergus New Member

Hi Rob.

Haha yes I realised a few years back that bodybuilding is a very unhealthy sport. Even if you try and do it in a healthy manner, it's very hard to achieve any success without doing some damage to your health. Unfortunately I paid the price by missing up my cortisol. Now when I coach bodybuilding clients I try do it in a sensible way thats not solely focused on the short term goal.

I haven't heard about the JoeD program before, could you elaborate? Mountaindog - that is John Meadows program right?

I'm still very new in regards to Jack's work, So i'm still learning a lot.

No I work out of a small gym in Potts Point, and do a lot of my online stuff through my website - afcoaching.com.au

If you're ever in sydney do yell out. I'd love to do a session or even have a chat with someone who's a bit more switched on with this sort of stuff. All the people I work with still consider a healthy diet an egg white omelet with chicken breast and a skim latte :(

9. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Sure will, everyone on here is married to the superslow training... nuh said. ;)
    Have you seen the GOHWell Foundation is brining Jack to Australia next Feb... http://www.gohwellfoundation.com/gohwellsummit2016/?? There will some debates that will interest people in your field... real food vs. supps, etc. Also supporting events like the GOHWell Retreat, SuperCharged movie premiere and some seafood feasts!
    JoeD = Joe DeFranco (following the SB911 program which blends in some Westside style training but hits all those modalities I have neglected. And yes, mountaindog is John Meadows. He was in Sydney earlier this year... I will have to try to convince him to come back out.

10. Alex Fergus

Alex Fergus New Member

I still haven't spent enough time on the superslow training. I know there is some solid research behind it, but I like lifting heavy things. Theres just something about it!

No I hadn't seen that he was coming here. I hadn't heard of the GOHWell Foundation. Is this something you run?

It looks great, I'm definitely going to see if I can get down there for the weekend! Unfortunately I have a lot of trips back home (New Zealand) during Jan & Fed for weddings so I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford it, but I'll start saving! Will there be a dvd/video release?
    Also the retreat looks really cool, thats something I'd like to do in the future.

Meadows was in sydney?! Dammit :( Thats what I get when I don't use facebook I guess.

11. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

My goal is to add size and strength in a good environmental context. I'm 6-5 235 but am carrying a lot of fat right now. I was conscious this summer to add lots of calories, like the deer I plan to hunt here in a few weeks. I even did GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day) for 25 days and gained 15 lbs during that time. I took advantage of the long holiday weekend to go strict keto so I'm on day 3 now. Next August I'm moving to Hawaii so I'll have lots of carbs available and will of course eat more of them in Hawaii. Now I'm focused on mostly leafy greens for my carbs. I'm thinking I might want to match that 25 day GOMAD with 25 days keto and then see what my body composition is like.

12. Alex Fergus

Alex Fergus New Member

Hi Jack,
    Sounds good, Im still very new in regards to JK protocols so I don't really have much advice to give (I'm still learning!). But I can definitely help on the strength side of things. Heres my advice - don't overcomplicate things, use a basic strength program, focus on strength, size will come (with the help of the extra calories). And don't over do it. Personally I think 3 strength sessions a week, with a 4th HIIT conditioning day is all you need to put on size. Focus on recovery, sleep, and quality food while minimising stressors and you'll do great.

Be sure to keep us updated with your progress :)

13. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

I appreciate the reply, Alex. Where are you located? I've always handled stress well; introvert, laid back, easygoing, etc. Always slept well too, and drank a lot of water. I've just never really been serious about weight training. I've been working a body part as soon as it's not sore from the workout before. Today was biceps, calves, and abs. Tomorrow is leg day. Day 3 of Keto went well. A few cravings but I drowned them in fat. I'm only working out at home, doing bodyweight exercises and lifting heavy things. I also installed a pullup bar. I've always loved to eat and it's crossed my mind a few times in my life that bodybuilding would make sure those calories were being used instead of deposited. Now I'm all in!

14. Alex Fergus

Alex Fergus New Member

Not a problem :)

I'm based in Sydney Australia.

Sounds like you have things all sorted then! Regarding your program, I would recommend doing more compound multi joint lifts (ie, squats, rows, chins, presses, deadlifts) and less isolation single joint lifts (biceps, calves, shoulder isolation exercises etc). And also look at doing these 2-3x a week (ie, theres no reason why you can't do pullups - which are great btw, I have them included in all of my clients strength/size programs - 3x a week, just make sure you have a day or two rest in between and you're good to go).

I say this to a lot of new lifters - don't train like a bodybuilder until you've been a powerlifter for a year or two. In essence what I'm saying is even if your goals are size, you are better off building a strength base before doing any advanced split routines. In fact, even guys that have a solid strength base still do better on a strength program if their goals are size. Maybe doing a few more reps/sets than a true powerlifting program, but I hope you get my jist. In summary - don't get caught up with fancy programs, just do the basics.

Bodybuilding is a great sport in the sense that you are so focused on achieving a great body - symmetrical, balanced, proportionate etc. And a lot of people associate health and bodybuilding, but this is not necessarily the case. Competitive BB'ing (whether natural or not) is horrible for your health. I'm still paying the price of pushing to hard for my years BBing. There's also the selfishness of the sport, it's all about you. It can be great for someone who is a horrible eater, and has no respect for their body, I've seen fat lazy kids change big time when they stumbled upon bodybuilding, but unfortunately it has a lot of costs. Excuse my profanity, but its a constant mindf&*k. You are always doubting yourself, comparing yourself to others, never happy with what you have. But this is at a competitive level. Recreational bodybuilding can be great!

Anyway, that was a bit of a rant! Let me know if you have any more questions, especially in regards to training.
    :)

15. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

My concern is pushing the weight gain if you are already carrying extra fat. I feel that a conscious approach that incorporates the key aspects taught by JK coupled with a simple consistent program and supportive food intake to add lean body mass and reduce body fat would be a good way to go.

16. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

I fully expect the keto will burn off the fat while at least maintaining or slightly gaining the muscle I already have. I love carbs and as soon as my bodyfat gets back under control I will add back carbs, targeted after workouts, to build muscle. I agree with the powerlifting approach first. My core exercises are pushups and pullups and bodyweight squats (I'm still working out at home). The mental aspect of it is what I love most. If it is to be, it's up to me!

17. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

No others interested in bodybuilding on here but us three? Surprising.

18. Inger

Inger Silver

well... haha.. was thinking about starting some comes fall ;)
    I am maintaining a pretty decent body comp with no exercise at all just doing the protocols but it could always improve :) but right now I just work too much for bothering with any sports...
    the perfect body has to wait..lol

19. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

honestly I wouldn't be too successful if I tried, but regardless I'm mostly more busy trying to build body-mind-environment coherence.

Danco3636 likes this.
  20. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

Yep, me too. My environment is on the up and up so bodybuilding is my mind/body pathway going forward.