1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Any performance increases using CT?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by codys182, Mar 14, 2012.

1. codys182

codys182 New Member

I was previously an avid weight lifter, taking sometime off to recover from some adrenal problems. I figured I'd use this down time to couple a ketogenic diet with CT as Dr. K prescribes. I was wondering…has anyone seen improvements in their performance, specifically in regards to lean mass gains? If so, what type of workout regimen are you using? I am looking to start hitting the weights again soon, but in a safe way so that I don't screw up my hormones(mainly cortisol). It seems I have been losing weight (only a week in) because my clothes are fitting better, but I am also clinging onto stomach weight and also gaining sensitivity/losing firmness in my chest. I am 5'10, 185 lbs, and about 15-16% body fat.

2. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I'm a girl with relatively high BF% (still... tipping 27-28%), and I started lifting in the gym 4 weeks ago, around the time I started CT. It might be partly due to beginner's growth, but I have doubled my squats from 15 kg to 30 kg in less than 4 weeks (3 sessions). I do the major ones, like squat, deadlift, bench, hamstring curls, pull-ups (working on them...) and complimentary triceps/biceps-work with R60-equip. I'm all about barbells and dumbells. My fat is going, scales remains the same, but strenght is very steadily increasing, and quicker than I can recall from my past experiences in the gym. I fuel my WOs with fat and protein, and so far it seems to be going well. I let each msucle-group rest for 7 days before I hit it again.

3. codys182

codys182 New Member

Wow, very impressive. What rep ranges do you use? And how long are your workouts typically? I am worried about tapping into my glycogen stores a bit too much without having the carbs to replete them.

4. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I do a quick 5 min incline-walk on the treadmill, then I hit the weights. I do 2-3 exersices pr session, each at 3x 12-9 (12, then 10, then 9- till it burns) reps, as I want to tone up, not bulk. I'm normally done within 25-30 min. Like you, I don't want to trigger cortisol-issues or adrenal fatigue, so I make sure I never over-do it. Once or twice a week myw arm-up will be a sprint-session on the treadmill or elliptical.

I also do leg-raises for my lower abs... I do 3 or 4 sets with 17-20 reps.

5. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I actually drink a can of pure coconut water straight after WOs. 320 ml, contains the good stuff from young coconut, and 13 grams of coconut sugar/carbs. The recovery with this has been amazing, I seriously hardly ever feel sore. I leave the gym with jelly-legs and jelly-arms, but 2 min after drinking this, I'm back to my normal self. Its works super-fast, is very Paleo and tasty. I love the Ayam-brand. Could be too high in sugar in the winter-months, but its so effective.

6. I feel like it is a little too soon to tell, but my pull ups have gotten easier, able to do more of them, and my deadlift, which has always been my "iffy" lift, never reliable, has been steadily going up. I am 40 yo female competitive powerlifter. Tomorrow I will go for maxes, in a conservative manner, I have a meet in 4 weeks that I don't want to screw up! After the meet I will experiment more with CT and my training, right now I am doing cold baths after training (and protein/fat heavy meal)

I love coconut water too Glam! I was wondering about the carbs. after a taxing session I do find myself going for one, about 1 x week. I train hard 3 x week, lifting only. No conditioning ATM, so I'm not concerned with adrenal/cortisol issues. sessions run about 75-90 min tops

I'm not lifting to "look good" I'm lifting to get strong and I think I look good as a by-product :cool:

My current stats @ 152# 5'5"

squat 220#

bench 135#

deadlift 285#

I was hoping to hit 305 on DL by year's end, also a 240 squat. My bench is so low, I don't even have aspirations, I'd be thrilled to have bodyweight bench. These kind of gains happen slowly...or at least, they used to happen slowly... We shall see!

7. eva

eva New Member

another powerlifter here. atleast used to be. i havent been competitive for a few years but i train almostthe same anyhow. i have also noted the biggest improvement on my pullups. i have increased the added poundage with double in my 5 x 5s :)

8. KA24

KA24 New Member

I've seen subtle strength growth in pull-ups and handstand push-ups over just about a month of CT. Not sure it's directly correlative, but I can definitely feel more strength.