1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Another CT Win!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by TheKid, Oct 10, 2012.

1. TheKid

TheKid Gold

I am fighting a nice little uphill battle at the moment, so when I get small wins, I like to share them.

I have Hashis, antiphospholipid syndrome and a whole range of other "stuff" going on. My current state of health has impacted me to significantly that I even had to let go of the one thing that always made me feel good and made me feel like I was doing at least one thing right in my life: exercise. So I've been away from exercising for several months now.

However, lately, I had felt that I wanted to get back to the gym at least on a limited basis. So I thought I would try Dr. Doug McGuff's super-slow lifting protocol. Since you're lifting slowly and at sub-maximal weights, the risk for injury is lower; UNLESS you're me. One time was all it took. BOOM, rotator cuff injury, arthritic flare and tons of pain and inflammation in my shoulder.

I went to the orthopedist and he wanted me to hit the anti-inflammatory drugs. My options, he said, were NSAIDS for a week or a cortizone injection. I told him, no thanks, I'll ice it. Thankfully he didn't argue much, but he did send me to 6 sessions of physical therapy.

Because of scheduling, I was not able to do any CT during the week of physio. So I just let the therapist do his electrical stimulation and I focused on mobility exercises.

But after a week of very slow progress, I was able to get back to CT.

The results have been awesome. And mind you, there has been no actual icing invovled. I have not applied an actual ice pack to my shoulder. What I have done is 5 straight days of CT, doing about 40 minutes at a time in a 50-55 degree shower. Let me tell you, the inflammation came right down. And what impressed me most was the actual impact on the joint itself.

You see, it's one thing for cold to help with pain reduction, and I think we've all experienced that. But what I had not experienced was the almost immediate improvement in the joint that allowed me, for the first time and 10 days, to raise my arm without hearing a sharp POP! in my shoulder. That means that the tendon responsible for that pop is no longer as swollen as it used to be.

So I am hopeful that CT will help speed the healing process. I was told that it would take months for the tendon to return to normal size. I have no way of measuring that, but I surely hope that CT cut the recovery time from months to weeks.

Happy shivering everyone.

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Congrats and thanks for sharing. A win is a win and actually this sounds like a big win!