1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ancient tools made from seashells

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Michael, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

If you think you know you need to look for stone tools, what might you miss? ....

Here is an article "Shell Tools Rewrite Australasian Prehistory" from 2009:

http://www.world-archaeology.com/news/shell-tools-rewrite-australasian-prehistory/

Unfortunately, the full article is behind a paywall.

The archaeologist seems to specialize in molluscs and sea-travel:

https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/szabo-ka

2. Melinda

Melinda New Member

Good find, again. Thanks for posting all the information you find.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I think Aussie is leading the way to the Epi paleo lifestyle with their study of HG and human history.......great find.

4. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

http://www.uwhg.org.uk/reports/uwhg_meetings/01_apr_10/01_apr_10.html

The writing's on the wall. I think anyone from now on who publishes a book pretending to talk about human nutrition and our past who doesn't have at least one chapter devoted to discussing water-resources doesn't know what they're talking about.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is why the Paleo 1.0 books all look fabilish to me......none of them looks at this data and yet the data is buried in Cordain's latest work. You would think a group of unconventional thinkers would look at the huge evidence and examine it with the human physiologic context to guide nutrition decisions. But instead they are building a new paradigm and fostering a new dogma built on incomplete science........not going to end well in my opinion.

I just keep following the path that evolutionary biology and medicine are leading me too. Every step I uncover, is another day I recover.

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Dr. K, I keep wondering why you chose the Paleo community. Why not the Pescatarians? Is it because of Paleo's psudo-evolutionary point of view? Or Paleo's willingness to eat a variety of foods?

7. Birdy

Birdy New Member

makes sense to me. I use shells as tools, much superior to using bone, because shells don't splinter. Never, ever have I said to myself, "hey, I think I'll make that tool out of stone,". However, I did "make" some bone meal using stones, for the garden. The thing is, had I had a some real fish bones, much much easier.

ha ha paleo? If I hear one more time, "the men went out hunting for game while their women gathered and stayed in caves...." We should all know that you don't need big muscles to catch fish.

8. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Sure.

I think the only thing the anthropologist who was the inspiration behind Born to Run got right was that hunting with missile weapons might be more difficult and uncertain that people had assumed. After that, of course, he jumped to the wrong conclusions.