1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Am I ready for cold water and ice?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Stephen W, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Stephen read this thread, Anya ask's a question in relation to CT :)

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/scars.22583/

2. Stephen W

Stephen W New Member

Brent Patrick likes this.
  3. Butters

Butters New Member

Wait. Why you didnt just fill the tub with cold water and measure the temperature you tolerate? Its seems more difficult to evaluate with ice. I personally have no access to so much ice so i do it this way.

4. Stephen W

Stephen W New Member

Hey Butters, I do-do that now. Still seems to be about 27-28c
    I just was trying to follow protocol. But you are right, it’s not as accurate to measure.

5. Butters

Butters New Member

So you start shivering right when you go for a plunge in that 28°C water?
    I ask because everybody will eventually shiver when time goes on, when the person has a low body fat percentage.

6. Stephen W

Stephen W New Member

At about 27°c I will start getting shivering twitches within 1-2 min and it will last 10-15 min and then I get a nice non shivering feeling for the remainder 20min.
    However if I go down to say to 22°c I will shiver noticeably more and also the entire 30min, BUT, I won’t shiver when I get out. HOWEVER, if I get in at 5-10°c (very cold) for 10-15 minutes I will not shiver at all, BUT I will shiver quite a lot when I get out for 1-2 hours

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

What did Jack's book say about when somebody is ready or not? Let see who read and has comprehension.

What was the one test that is a tell?

8. Butters

Butters New Member

I try it without looking this up and take the risk getting called out as having no comprehension:

Ready for cold tub when:

1. You can stand 1hr with ice block on chest, skin covered red (I suppose here that the phases before were done correctly)
    2. You have not a lot brain freeze to nothing when drinking ice cold water
    3. Of course leptin sensitive
    4. No cold urticaria
    5. No light headedness during tub

Sajid Mahmood and Stephen W like this.
  9. Stephen W

Stephen W New Member

Well I tick all that.
    I get my blood test back tomorrow so we’ll see if it’s maybe thyroid related.
    Everything seems to be pointing to hypothyroid. I had low B12 on previous bloods, can’t tolerate cold, my mum has hypothyroid condition, and many other things I’ve made a connection too. We’ll see.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

NOPE.

11. Butters

Butters New Member

Then I dont get it or it doesnt is written down in the book.
    I cite "When you can tolerate the skin being covered for one hour with pink to cherry red skin you`re now ready for the cold Tub step".
    What did I miss?

Stephen W likes this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It is written in the book on the chapter in labs.

Stephen W likes this.
  13. Inger

Inger Silver

This?
    Epi-PaleoRX Site 52.
    "Note: One should only use cold thermogenesis protocol if your VO2max is 25ml/kg/min."

Stephen W likes this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Bingo

Inger likes this.
  15. Interesting. It is in the book, but in all these years reading/listening to your stuff, I don't think you've ever mentioned it. Is there a reason for its re-appearance?

Also, do we need decent V02max because we need the oxygen to match the increased electron flow in mitochondria that are fat burning to generate IR heat or is it related to C02 removal, or both?

EDIT - Just read the Floating blog and seen the VO2max reference.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  16. Butters

Butters New Member

I know the fact, but I thought Jack meant the cold tub step and not CT perse.
    Also to get under 25 Vo2max something must be radical wrong in young people. So that shouldnt be the problem of stephen, only if he is in the condition like when he was 30 years old.

Stephen W likes this.
  17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yep......it is a test we'll be doing at Kruse Longevity Center. Q & A tonight at 6PM for those who signed up.

18. Stephen W

Stephen W New Member

I can run 6.5km in 30 minutes with some undulations so I’m good there
    Thanks

19. Stephen W

Stephen W New Member

I think I’m going to try and get the best of both worlds. I’ll do short 2min or so dips in my 10°C chest freezer and over time slowly increase the duration so I’m not shivering after I get out. And I’ll also do longer sessions in my swimming pool 30-45min and the temp is at about 29°c but will start dropping as winter comes here in Australia. (Thumbs up)

20. Anderson Joe

Anderson Joe New Member

Same here too. I now place very close attention with my intake of food too.