1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Am I getting AM sunlight too late or not enough?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Eliza, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi everyone

My hormones have been trashed for years and I've been trying to heal them ever since. As of 5 months ago, I have moved to a rural area where I can work from home, allowing me to spend at least 1-2 hrs in AM sunlight per day and away from all the Wi-Fi in a high-rise office building. I know I need to get out more now we're coming out of winter in Australia.

I see the sunrise every morning, and get 1-2 hrs sunlight between about 10am - 12pm (in Australia).

I recently got some labs done on day 4 of my cycle, and really expected to see some improvements in my hormones, since I'm developing a nice tan. However, I was really wrong!!

Is it nnemf, or am I not getting enough AM sunlight, or is the AM sunlight too late for hormone-making?

Things that have changed for me lately:

- I have had a faecal transplant about 2 yrs ago via a gastroenterologist in Melbourne. This has helped my gut health massively!
    - - We've gotten rid of wifi in the house, though we may get one weak signal from the neighbours occasionally.
    - The gym where I go to has an ice bath set at 14c, allowing me to CT most days for about 25 mins (sadly in nasty water, but I felt the benefits outweighed the negatives).
    - I have a core magnetico coming on Monday!
    - I'm doing the leptin reset again for about the last 3-4 months (salmon sashimi BAB - admittedly farmed), with butter mostly as the winter fat.

hs-crp - 1.07 (ref: <4.91)
    Homocysteine: 7.7 umol/L (4-14)
    BUN: Creatinine ratio (25:1) - terrible!!
    Sodium, potassium, chloride, bicarb, anion gap, urea, creatinine, eGFR, urate, bilirubin, AST, ALT, GGT, Alkaline phosphatase, protein, albumin, globulin, calcium, corrected calcium and phosphate all within reference ranges.
    Serum iron: 15umol/L (10-30)
    Transferrin: 31 umol/L (32-48)
    Transferrin saturation - 25% (13-45)
    Serum ferritin - 163 ug/L (30-165)
    TSH: 2.7mIU/L (0.5-4.0)
    FT4: 16 pmol/L (10-20)
    FT3: 4.2 pmol/L (3.5-6) - unfortunately I didn't get RT3 tested - but I supplement 10mg T3 daily
    Day 4 hormone tests:
    FSH: 8 IU/L (2-12)
    E2: 199 (100-530)
    Progesterone: 1 (0.5-4.5) - despite 4% cream used on days 14-28 of my cycle
    Total T: 0.7 nmol/L (0.5-2.2)
    SHBG: 94nmol/L (20-118)
    DHEA-S: 1.9 umol/L (2.2-7.9) - yuck, despite daily supplementation of 20mg DHEA per day (didn't take it on morning tested).

Calculated Free T: 5.8pmol/L (2.7-35)
    25-OH Vit D: 75 nmol/L (51-200) - bit more pleased about this, as we're in winter here, and I've brought it up from in winter with just sunlight
    Total Cholesterol: 13 mmol/L (3.6-5.2)
    Triglycerides: 0.9 mmol/L (0.5-1.7)
    HDL: 2.1 mmol/L (1-2)
    LDL: 10.2 mmol/L (1.5-3.4)
    Non-HDL cholesterol: 10.6 mmol/L )
    Cholesterol/HDL-C ratio: 6 (<4.5)

Hb, platelets and WBC all within reference ranges
    HBA1C - NGSP 4.9% (4.0-6.0)
    HBA1C - IFCC - 30 mmol/mol (20-42)
    Vitamin B12:421 pmol/L (301-740)
    Serum folate: 46.4 nmol/L (>9)
    The thing is, prior to starting the leptin reset again, I had been eating mostly epi-paleo but moderate carbs, and my labs (especially hormones) still weren't impressive at all, but weren't as bad as what's above.
    For example, in August 2016, I had the following results: (Day 21 of cycle)
    FSH : 8 IU/L (2-23)
    Progesterone: 0.9 nmol/L (3.7-45)
    E2: 317 pmol/L (80-1150)
    Testosterone: 1.5 nmol/L (<4.6)
    SHBG: 130 nmol/L (20-155)
    calc. free T3: 10 pmol/L (3-37)
    FAI: 1.2 (0.5-6)
    DHEA-S: 9.1 umol/L (1.7-11.5)
    Cholesterol: 6.1 mmol/L (3.5-5.5)
    HDL: 1.7 mmol/L (>0.8)
    LDL: 4 mmol/L ( <2)
    Trigs: 0.83 mmol/L (0.5-2)
    Tot/HDL 3.6 mmol/L (<5.1)
    HS-CRP: 0.6 mg/L (0-5)
    Free T4: 11 pmol/L (8.2-22)
    TSH: 0.67 mU/L (0.5-4.4)
    Free T3: 4.9 pmol/L (2-7)

My LDL cholesterol now seems to have gone crazy (which I get isn't necessarily a bad thing), but in this context, to me, it looks like my thyroid has stopped working (or is creating a lot of RT3). Is it just because it's winter? I have been CT'ing most days for around 20-30 mins. I have been trying to get as much AM sun as possible to help heal my hormones, but my DHEA has suddenly dropped in the last few months. Maybe due to inflammation? My ferritin levels and HS-CRP also point to inflammation.

But the cholesterol and hormone results always seem to be worse when I'm eating very low carb (a la leptin reset).

I have lost a little weight in the past few months doing the leptin reset (I weigh about 60kg, but still have a high body fat %), so perhaps some of that would increase the cholesterol?
    Am I doing the wrong thing with CT and eating with the leptin reset? Or should I just be supplementing more DHEA, T3 and progesterone until the levels are better and then my leptin resistance will improve? I just don't seem to need quite the amount of supplementation when not eating as low carb.

I feel like in the first few weeks of the leptin reset + CT, I felt hot after most meals and was starting to feel really good. In the last few weeks, not so much, and my sleep has worsened a bit. I put it down to the time of the month, but given these last results I'm not surprised I'm not feeling great!

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!!
    Brent Patrick likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

25:1 is a sure sign the redox is BAD. dehydration = mito make no water = no sun light can be added to your water to make a capacitor.

Getting up early with the sun gives you time to reflect on your goals because your eyes can use UV-A and IR-A to make dopamine and melatonin. If you build in time to embrace your existence, your reason for being (ikigai) and your purpose, your brain will become addicted to your new morning habit. Think about what you want to achieve in life, what your purpose is and how you are going to reach those goals. This active awareness helps you become more proactive and less reactive for your future.
  3. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks Jack, I appreciate your response. I'll try to get more AM sunlight, and hopefully with more dopamine I'll improve my situation.

As an aside, I don't think my BUN: creatinine is always this bad, but I seem to take a really bad dive at the end (and beginning of my cycle), which I why I did the labs at Day 4 to confirm my suspicions. Clearly, I've still got pregnenolone steal going on pretty badly.

I also plan on testing more for emf in the house, as I haven't been able to do that since we moved here. If it's bad, I think it's something in the house, as we are in a rural area with low population density, no close powerlines, and very few active wifi signals.

Would increasing pg, t3 and DHEA be wise until my body can make better use of the AM sunlight?
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    ScottishEmma likes this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Brent Patrick likes this.
  5. Eliza

Eliza Gold

I couldn't read the full text of that article but I would gather that the amount of dopamine they release would be related to the environmental signal that the neuron is being exposed to?

I'm trying to do better. I am being relentless about AM sun exposure and am hoping that with the longer light cycles of spring approaching, that I will see some improvements. My LDL cholesterol seems to be converted to Vitamin D not too badly (75nmol/L) after winter with no supplementation, just not to the steroid hormones. More AM light and more CT for me.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

7. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks Jack
  8. howirecovered

howirecovered New Member

I have high ferretin like you and have been on a nutritional balancing program for about three years, mostly working on copper toxicity. At one point I consulted Morley Robbins who highlights the fact that high iron is very disruptive and highly correlated with disease. I wrote about it here: http://howirecovered.com/its-the-iron-stupid

At first I thought that my iron was probably related to poor liver function and genetic flaws related to iron and copper transport. But I also have Lyme disease and co-infections and subsequently read that high ferretin can also be the bodies effort to sequester iron away from pathogens that feed on it. In other words, it can also be a sign of infection. Just something to think about, because you could search a long long time before you encountered an MD really good at detecting infections.

I never once came across an MD with a microscope and yet it turns out Lyme is easily visible under my $600 microscope.
    Sheddie likes this.
  9. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks @howirecovered , that's definitely given me some food for thought. Good doctors can be really hard to find!