1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Allergy meds excitotoxins?

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by ChristineKleiber, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ChristineKleiber

ChristineKleiber New Member

Dr. K you cited the evils of MSG as an excitoxin in this blog post

http://jackkruse.com/msg-your-gut-and-your-brain-post-trauma/

which included a link to all the other sneaky names for it. Thank you!

That post also talked the evils of aspartame, another excitotoxin.

Somewhere - which I can't find now (no I do not have hamster brain yet) I also remember seeing Benadryl listed as a serious no - no. Excitotoxin? Do most/all allergy OTC meds fall into this category too? Is there a hierarchy among them so that those who absolutely need them while they get to optimal can minimize the suffering in the crucible?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Recent Article came out about Benedryl that is is an excitotoxin for Acetylcholine neurons......the use of anticholinergics is associated with a steep risk of neurodegenerative disorders......Alzheimer's particularly.

3. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Is there a Link?

4. maggie

maggie New Member

Just google anticholinergics dementia and plenty comes up. There was a French (I think) study of commonly prescribed medications that yielded a long list of medications with anticholinergic properties. It's divided into three sections according to how strong the effects are. Especially noticeable in older people, but who wants to even go there?

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

closed.........