1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Allergic to seafood or iodine? Don't believe it.

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jack Kruse, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Gold

Great for the drive through the Mohave last weekend.....

Cpt.Tired and NeilBB like this.
  2. Gracelind

Gracelind New Member

My aforementioned friend can eat shrimp/prawns, clams, and loves most fish. Only reaction so far is to oysters and lobster that one time. She's otherwise eaten lobster with no problem. Sad because she really does love the eating of the oysters. It's the pain and suffering afterwards that's the problem.

So, I doubt that iodine is the problem. Something else about the oysters, several years apart and on different continent/island so not one contaminated meal.

3. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

I think like this:

Have we gotten this subject wrong? If i eat something, do something, yes live somehow i happen to step into trouble that makes me react. Based on what? My form for this moment, which can be and mostly been based on my ability to deal with it. I have thought i have been sensitive to things but in my way of living today i lost these errors and gained others. I get sensitive to the modern world and i act upon it, not drug it down.

What i mean, so many details about how you are as a living thing will decide how you react, just like you said above.

Perhaps we get scared to much today, avoiding things that would do good in the end.

Sometimes i throw up after eating seafoods, okey i think, not good today. Try it again later on and it works just like magic, what is different? Time and space.

4. Hope2Learn

Hope2Learn We are all connected.

Well I'm about to test this out, for better or worse. In 1993 I went to the emergency room after eating clams due to a bad reaction. A year or two later I had another bad reaction to scallops though not so bad as to send me to the ER this time. I've avoided all shellfish (all seafood in general in fact) ever since. Haven't even had a tuna sandwich in my life! But my shellfish allergy has been noted in my medical records for over 20 years, and I'm about to go against my former best instincts and suck down some oysters anyway, because recently I had my doctor order blood testing for seafood allergies and they all came back NEGATIVE (shockingly), so at worst I guess I have an intolerance.

So yesterday I bought a big tub of raw oysters already shucked and now I just am browsing for recipes and/or suggestions on how to eat them. By which I probably mean "one".

The biggest step is overcoming the fear of a bad reaction this far from the nearest hospital, for me, not the flavor or texture. Once I get some feedback on whether to cook or not (since I have immune issues) I will see how it goes and post back here accordingly.

(PS for what it's worth, I already knew I wasn't allergic to iodine. I didn't know that people thought it was iodine in seafood that caused the allergy until I read about it here in fact. I've had IV iodine several times with no issue. I do, however, have Hashi's now and have never included seafood in my diet. I rather think that's WHY I have Hashi's now - the lack of seafood/DHA my whole life - than pretty much any other reason I can think of.)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Hope2Learn

I'll die way faster of anaphylaxis than I will of lack of DHA. Gotta draw the line someplace, and for me that place is common sense. Sometimes I get caught up in something and get all excited and almost make a grave mistake.. this was one of those times I luckily caught myself in time.

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

But I thought your tests did not prove an allergy? Did I miss something?

7. Hope2Learn

They screwed up the testing both times, first they ordered a pollen allergy panel instead of food, then they ordered a test that would only find allergens THAT I HAD RECENTLY INGESTED. Which obviously since they tested for all seafood based allergens on that one and I never eat that stuff it didn't find any. Apparently I would need an allergist to get the right test. I already waited half a year to see an endocrinologist for my thyroid and that was completely pointless (she says until my TSH is wrecked she won't treat, and at that point she's a fan of removing it altogether), I'm not going to waste my time on this now too. My 2015 has already been a complete waste.

8. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Could it be a detox reaction?

9. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Did we really invent that word? interesting.

10. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Perhaps not exactly true but i live by my own rules.

Just because it did not happen does not mean it is true, for me. Up here we have so long winters that when the sun comes we get going, time to mate.

caroline likes this.
  11. Jason Lutan

Jason Lutan New Member

Doc did bloodwork on my daughter and she is severely allergic to shellfish, even though she has never eaten it in her life..The numbers scared the docs and said she should always have an epi pen. ..

12. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Welcome Jason , you are inferring the correct thing that your daughter at this moment should not eat seafood . However the idea is that with the other lifestyle changes in the protocol at some point in the future she may overcome this allergy . Note the word may ...

13. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

this is a big issue for a lot of people-in the circles i'm in at least...mamas and babies w/food intolerances etc.
    telling them to increase DHA-by eating seafoods-most turn their nose up and say, no way, i can't. i hate seafoods. or, some say there are allergens. or a few mothers have said every time they feed their child salmon for example their child is vomitting for several hours after...
    another mom claims that after eating seafood daily for 3 months her and her child's histamine response is now WAY worse...
    what's the suggestion? what's the solution?
    improve redox?

Cpt.Tired and Jude like this.
  14. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Eating some kind of seafood that they can tolerate, eat a lot of it, improve redox with other methods as well, and then occasionally try the offending food. I'm just speculating because I've heard other people say that plus my own experience with oysters. At first they made me feel kind of 'sickly' so I ate shrimp instead. Then I gradually added the oysters in. I was also starting to do CT as well. CT gave me that same 'sickly' feeling at first. Actually the first few times I did CT, I caught a cold. I thought "what the hell is he talking about? Everybody knows not to chill yourself or you might catch a cold!" But that went away eventually too.
    I'm working on the raw prawn smoothie now. Last time I did it my eye totally swelled up! But it only lasted for a few hours.

rlee314 and Jude like this.
  15. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Rlee , I think one needs to make a distinction . Let's call an allergy an event that leads to anaphylactic shock/needs an epi pen to get over. Food sensitivity including vomiting is another kettle of fish . :D From what this childless one knows you introduce children slowly to any food. If the child experiences a bad reaction to salmon I would step back to the leanest easily digested fish and start from there . I think that the mothers you are in contact with are not in touch with nutrition per se but jump on bandwagons as recommended and do not apply to their situation. To put it in an extreme scenario to illustrate what I mean . Imgine the baby had only oats slurry and other healthy carbs ,was born by cesarian so did not get the microbiome transfer throgh vaginal birth from the mother and now Mum gives it salmon... We know little about the how the acclimatisation happens even if we think we do/told we do .. My best guess would be that baby has no issues with food that MUm ate during pregnancy but needs acclimatising to "strange" foods.
    Hope these musings help.

Cpt.Tired, Jude and rlee314 like this.
  16. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Or more Krusianly put: If the mothers gut / her hormonal balance is disturbed and the wrong critters are running the show due to blue light exposure EMF etc the baby will not have the necessary tools to deal with digesting fish as mother already turned up her nose at it or better put her microbiome made a majority decision to make her think that fish is yuck .

Cpt.Tired, Jude and rlee314 like this.
  17. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

that's the thing. these mamas are ALL about food. trying to get them interested in redox-what's that?-and CT and light etc is a joke. some are getting into blueblockers. but, they are soooo stuck on the 'it's ALL about food' train that it's nearly impossible to suggest hopping off and looking at things through a different lens.

i'm very empathic. to a fault almost.
    i feel very badly for many of these mamas. who are desperate and in anguish over their children's health issues--ranging from constipation, skin issues, sleep issues, breastfeeding issues, weight gain and growth issues, gut issues...it's heartbreaking to read some of their stories. and i'm ignored or thought to be cray cray for suggesting to load up on DHA, to mitigate environments, to wear blueblockers etc.
    i share jack's podcasts-bc i find them easier to comprehend and integrate compared to the blogs. i share the blogs. i share quotes from him that i feel are relevant and simple to understand--bc he does outline the basics quite often. amongst all the wordy, heady blogs-which i love.

so many people are so scared of fish--it's crazy to me!!
    trying to get them over the hump of this fear is very challenging. it's either a food sensitivity issue, a mercury safety issue, a fukushima and 'the oceans are polluted issue' and 'fish is gross' issue...
    sigh.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  18. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I totally agree with you 110%. It is a real problem trying to get people to "think outside the box". Heck! It's so ingrained into me even! I STILL find myself downplaying EMF and blue light when I'm around people because I know that they aren't very receptive to it. Even if they are, they forget because they only hear about it rarely and only from me.

Sometimes it helps if you show them something that they are 'used to', like a news clip on TV from a program or station that they recognize. Or something like 'Dr Oz' (lol!).
    Something that looks 'established'.

19. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

It's crazy to me that people prefer following blindly an organisation with some authority instead of relying on the scientific method.

Cpt.Tired likes this.