1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

All Things T3

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Patty Cakes, Sep 20, 2012.

1. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

So I have good, albeit curious, results to report.

Jan 2012, my rT3 was 314. First time I ever checked it. I started ThyroGold.

In June, it was 282. I started Naturethroid on top of the TG.

In Jan 2013, it was 455. Yikes! Stopped TG, backed off the NT.

Mar 2013, it's 133. ! Lower than before I started taking any thyroid. Something has caused me to clear the reverse T3, something that wasn't happening before I started the NDT. I'm not sure what, but phew, at least that's one less thing to worry about for now.

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Awesome! It sure feels good to win a battle once in a while!

3. diane

diane Gold

That's awesome MamaG!

4. MsYo

MsYo Silver

Anyone ever tried dosing Iodine for hypothyroid issues in the T3CM fashion??

5. SeaJane

SeaJane Gold

I had a bunch of labs done and am getting stuff organized to send to Jack for a consult. In the meantime, I am looking for some feedback on my thyroid results and whether I should lower my T3 intake. I currently take 12.5mg twice per day and 1/4 grain of Naturethroid in the a.m.

FT3 4.0 (2.0 - 4.4)
    FT4 0.59 Low (0.82 - 1.77)
    RT3 11.1 (9.2 - 24.1)
    T3/RT3 ratio is 36

I am excited that my RT3 has dropped from 33 a couple of months ago. I am just wondering about my low FT4 and if it is being suppressed by my relatively high FT3. In the past when I was euthyroid my FT3 would be more around 3.0. To add to the mix, I have added in BHRT per the Wiley protocol since Dec. Two months ago when my PG/E2 ratio ended up at 133 I felt good. The next month (the one tied with the blood draw above) I was back to estrogen dominance PG/E2 ratio of 30. In reading Gretchen's post on PCOS, I am pretty sure my high estrogen and high SHBG are blocking my T3 as I am most symptomatic when estrogen is highest. This month I have dramatically cut my estradiol and upped my PG and am feeling better. In addition to adjusting my hormones, I have stopped my evening dose of FT3 and am sleeping better the last couple of nights. I'd appreciate thoughts on whether I should keep my evening T3 dose going until I consult with Jack. I just don't want to undo what I have gained.

6. diane

diane Gold

SeaJane - I just started back on my thyroid meds today - an increased dose. Today I'm so hot - and hot from the inside, if you know what I mean. Whereas when I started it before, I was colder. I started taking the Casteberry earlier this week, so I think that the combination of increased progesterone has kicked the thyroid meds in. I don't think the increased dose worked on it's own so much. Plus I've been doing more seaweed too.

If stopping your evening dose has made you feel better, why not keep going to see if it keeps improving? I am starting to see how all the hormones play together, and how doing just one thing isn't enough.

7. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

Actually your FT# looks great! Your FT4 is low because your body isn't making any and your exogenous T4 is very little. Thyroid hormones are tied to progesterone so if you are taking more Pg you may not need as much exogenous meds. However, based on your labs you look good. If I were you I would consider changing the times I take my T3 and not eliminate that dose but take it much earlier. Some people have trouble with sleep if they take their T3 near sleep times. I never had that problem and can take the T3 right before I go to bed!

8. SeaJane

SeaJane Gold

Thanks Patty Cakes for the input. I have a follow-up question. Is it possible that my body is not making T4/FT4 because my FT3 level is high enough that it is telling my thyroid don't make any more? So if I lowered my T3 intake, I would actually get my body to make some or am I missing something. I didn't get a TSH level run because the lab missed it among all the tests requested. My TSH isn't always reliable because of having Graves (that has now moved into Hashimoto's).

9. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

SeaJane - I'm really not sure if your body would compensate by making T4 if you lowered your T3. You can try it and see but as I recall from what I have read I don't think it will affect the T4 production. Your FT# was good but not excessively high.

Another factor here is the conversion of T4. If your body converts T4 to T3 then you would have less need for the T3 meds (given an adequate supply of T4 within the body). You can also try adding some natural thyroid (eg Armour) and get a little T4 and see how your body reacts to that. Many people use both, with T3 being the morning dose and NT as the afternoon dose. I love my T3 only so for right now I am staying there.

The TSH is a piece of the pie not the whole pie like most docs view it. So it's no biggie that you didn't get it this time. :)

10. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

HI, I am starting the T3 circadian protocol and noticed that when I took it at 4:40 it put me back to sleep. I have not been able to sleep later than about 4:00 normally. This seems like a good thing. I am still reading and tweeking. Just starting this in the last 3 days. I might need to move it to 5:00. Does this seem like it is helping my adrenals work better? IT has been a while since I have had a saliva test, but in the fall of 2011 I had a doctor prescribe me hydrocortisone but only took it for 2 days. I just was apprehensive about taking it and what it would do. I do know that she is a doctor that just doesn't prescribe something if it is not needed. At the time she said I did have a cortisol deficet. Where can I find out more info on how to dose for symptoms using this method other than the book? Will the Yahoo group accept me if I don't have a current saliva test?

11. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I believe the Yahoo Group will accept you without current saliva tests. I still get the daily summary from that group...joined it last October.

I cannot comment on the T3 circadian method though. Maybe someone else will chime in. My usages of T3 was for the RT3 benefits. That has been corrected and I currently still take T3 only (50 mcg per day, split into two doses). In June I will get thyroid labs again to see where everything is at.

Feel great on T3 only...

12. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

There is a Facebook group that is a Stop The Thyroid Madness Group that focuses on the circadian T3 protocol. If you are not a part of any other STTM FB group let me know and I can recommend you so you can get in.

When I did that protocol I monitored my vitals (HR, BP, temp) every couple of hours after I got up. I started at two hours before I got up and changed it 30 min further away from wake up time and when my vitals went whacky I changed the time I did my circadian dose. I ended up taking it approx 2.5 hrs before wake up. I have always been able to fall back asleep after taking any dose whether it was Armour or the T3 and my cortisol was very low at all four times during the day. This method was very helpful while combining the BAB, sun on eyes in the morning, orange glasses at night, etc.

13. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

thank you for your response. I am just going to read through some of the posts on the Yahoo group for now.

14. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Here are my most recent thyroid labs. They missed drawing for the T3 Total, T3 Uptake, and Free T4 Index this time (always check the lab request before leaving phlebotomist!).

I also had the Thyroglobulin Antibodies and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies done. Even though both come in under range, I 'm aware that any number over zero indicates Hashis.

Currently taking 50 mcg Cynomel, split into two doses daily.

Very concerned about the Vitamin D result. I am supplementing but had switched from Carlson Drops (4000 iu per drop) to another brand in early 2013. Daily dosage is 3-4 drops. I am also spending much more time outside and do not burn at all…

Starting Point in October 2012 - Free T3/Rev T3 Ratio = 11.3

June 2013 Labs / February 2013 Labs / Labs from Before T3 Only
    TSH, 0.01 / 0.10 / 2.15, (0.40-4.5 mIU/L)
    Total T4, 0.7 / 0.3 / 7.5, (4.5-12.0 mcg/dL)
    Free T4 Index, -- / 0.2 / 2.3, (1.4-3.8)
    Free T4, 0.3 / 0.3 / 1.1, (0.8-1.8 ng/dL)
    T3 Free, 6.7 / 7.1 / 2.6, (2.3-4.2 pg/mL)
    T3 Total, -- / 359 / 75, (76-181 ng/dL)
    T3Uptake, -- / 27 / 30, (22-35%)
    Reverse T3, 5 / <5 /23, (11-32 NG/dL)
    Thyroglobulin Antibodies <20 (<20 IU/Ml)
    Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 14 (:love:5 IU/mL)

Vitamin D, 23 / 50 / 43 , (30-100 ng/mL) Damn!
    Sodium, 138 / 138 / 139, (135-146 mmol/L)
    Potassium, 4.4 / 4.4 / 4.5, (3.5-5.3 mmol/L)
    Iron Total, 73 / 53 / 114, (40-160 mcg/dL)
    TIBC, 250 / 246 / 279, (250-450 mcg/dL)
    % Saturation, 29 / 22 / 41, (15-50 % calc)
    Ferritin, 39 / 54 / 24, (10-232 ng/mL)

Feedback welcome...

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

first question - do you have the VDR Defect? Given your MTHFR issues?

Thryoid: Congtrats you've cleared your rT3! your ratio is 134!!!! TSH look good, your Free T3 is high but if you feel good that's your mojo! but your Free T4 is low - it looks like you need some T4 in there; so it looks like the cynomel has turned off the production of your T4. How do you feel? And yet it looks like you' have hashis but you need 3 tests of positive antibodies to be dx from my understanding.

back to your vitamin D - you might consider trying a different brand and consider doing a high dose w/a pill form I've had great success w/now brand 5K IU - I take 10000 IU daily and have gotten my levels to stay above 90 year round....

16. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

17. Dextery

Dextery New Member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  18. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Thanks Dextery. The brand I switched to is Nature's Answer D3 drops. I order most of my supps thru iherb and they had stopped carrying the Carlson D3 drops.

Appreciate the link...

19. kall1

kall1 Banned

20. Destiny

Destiny New Member