1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

All Things T3

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Patty Cakes, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, Patty, for explaining the timing of the T3 test. I just had my tests done and from your description, I did not time it well. I took a night before and my test was not until early afternoon. I don't have all the results yet, but my doctor told me that my T3 was only 2.2. I will see how is the rest next week including the iron labs. My ferritin and saturation were lowish the last time.

I never got over 25 mcg a day but I also feel that the Mito RX is a major boost for me.

2. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

This may also help you understand Destiny. When you are on T3 only meds they last approx 8 hrs in the body and don't have much of a half-life. So you are low because there was no exogenous T3 left in your system at that point. However, you may still be low since 25mcg is still on the low side of dosing. On the other hand the exogenous T4 hormone stays in the body for 4-6 weeks. So it's still converting to T3 (if your body does that) for a while even after you have stopped taking it.

I'm still not really sure the best time on when a person is on T3 but just take into consideration the time relation of dose and test. :D

3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Patty, I took my AM dose of T3 (25mcg) and 4:30 AM and skipped the 2nd dose. Blood work was at about 3:30 PM that day. Was thinking about lowering my dosage to 50mcg a day and then retesting in a couple of months.

In regards to the vitamin D, I know it's low. Around 52 is the highest I had it last June. It dropped to 43 in fall when the days got shorter. In October I decided to try the Cavemam method and take it vaginally (I use Carlson D-3 drops, 4000iu per drop). I use 3-4 drops. It did go back up so I will continue this method and see what spring/summer sun exposure does. I used to be able to sunbathe in the nude in our backyard. Not this year...no longer empty nest :( My stepson followed us back from Ohio when we returned from my sister-in-laws funeral in early Janaury. *sigh* We really enjoyed having an empty nest...

Have some Solgar Gentle Iron, 25 mg, on hand and am going to start taking it again. Will also have that retested in a couple of months.

Destiny, let us know about your labs results when they come in.

4. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

Oh boy, I understand the D challenge! It took me several years to get it up to 72 and I had to do 15-20,000/day to get it there. I have a couple of VDR SNPs and think that may contribute but not sure. I just don't think at this point I am going to lower the dose to less than 15,000 unless there is good reason to.

When I lowered my T3 dose (and this may not be the right way since my doc said it didn't look like I was on too high of a dose at 75mcg) I went to 60 than down to 52mcg. I was so afraid of going so low that I would pay for it energy and focus wise. I don't think I have at all so far. Good luck at lowering. I thought it felt good to not take as much (psychologically speaking, that is).

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Got all my results back! First the good stuff:

My ratio T3/R3 is 24.4 went up - the best so far
    Ferritin - 125 (10-232 ng/mL) - went up was only 58 before
    hsCRP - 0.2 - went down a bit - was 0.3 before
    HA1c - 5.3% - went down from 5.8%
    Vitamin D, 25-OH D3 and total - 69 (30-100ng/mL) same

Not so hot:
    FT3 - 2.2 (2.3 -4.2 pg/ml) - went down from 2.5
    FT4 - 1.2 (1.4-3.8 units) - went up from 0.9
    TSH - 2.86 (0.4-4.5 mIU/L) - went up from 1.02
    DHEAs - 81 (15-170 mcg/dL) - went down from 123
    Vit B12 - 630 (200-1100 pg/ml) - went down from 1023 - will do 1ml injections up from 0.5ml

I will increase T3 now when I know that my ferritin is much better now. I will increase D3 and Vit. B12.

I am a bit lost with DHEA and other hormones that I am sure are low. With a BC Dx there is so much competing information. Some say supplement, some say don't. Scary ....

6. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

Congrats on the good stuff.....and there was a lot of it! Your hsCRP is rocking! Your thyroid numbers are so easily fixable w/increased dosages and monitoring so that is really not bad results. It's all just information to help you along your path.

I'm sure you'll make the right decisions about DHEA, etc. I'm sure it's very personal and no one can make that decision for you. :)

7. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, Patty! You are right, I have to concentrate first on my thyroid. Then, I will go after my hormones :)!

8. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

You made some good progress. What will you be increasing your T3 dose too? Envious of your D3 because I haven't been able to get mine above 52 so far.

What kind of B12 are you using for injections, methyl-B12? Have been out for a couple of months. Just going to wait on ordering more for now.

I use Twist 25 cream and it raised my DHEAs level remarkably well.

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I would like to go to 40-50 mcg a day. For some reason, my vit D goes up easily with a supplementation. It was 105 last summer. I wonder why it is because of my VDR Bsm rs1544410 TT +/+ defect. Doesn't make much sense. I inject the cyanocobalamin for B12. I think I heard here that methyl-B12 is better, right? Thanks for the tip on the Twist 25 cream. I just need to do more reading on DHEA and BC before starting.

10. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

From what I understand, the body needs to convert the cyanocoblamin to use it. The methyl B12 is the active form. I think what forms are best for each body is based upon your particular methylation mutations. There is a hydroxy from of B12 also. That is why I am waiting to order...need to find out which one(s) are best for me.

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I heard about methyl B12 being better than cyanocobalamin. I will check it out online if I can get it without a prescription.... any time I can skip my doctor, I do! Let us know your results with methyl and hydroxy B12!

12. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

You can order methyl B12 for injections at Trimnutrition.com

It is sold in a kit with injectables and alcohol swabs. There is a doctor on staff that provides the prescription. Have ordered a few times and customer service is good. For some reason, the website does not allow me to complete all the steps during checkout so I usually call them directly to place order.

13. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, fitness, for the link!!

14. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

oh wow - thats awesome! how much does it cost? How many doses come per bottle?

15. Destiny

Destiny New Member

As I was planning, I increased my daily dose from 25 mcg to 37.5mcg this week. It is going well!! In a couple of weeks, I will try to go to 50 mcg a day. I hope this will move my T3 to higher levels.

16. diane

diane Gold

Destiny - do you feel the difference when you increase your levels? Do you wait until you adjust or make sure you feel something before you increase? I see some people feel like their thyroid is turned on when they start taking meds - but I haven't yet. Or is the response individual?

17. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I have never felt like my thyroid was "turned on." What it did for me was take away the daily headaches, the numb hands in the middle of the night, the swelling of the eyes, not as much hair loss, etc. etc. Energy though is another story. The only time I really recall feeling anything was when my rt3 cleared and that was the only time. But, we are all different and have different battles to win and perhaps my battles (adrenal fatigue, heavy metals, etc.) won't allow me to actually feel something - yet!

18. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

They offer different size bottles and strengths. The methyl form not cheap...we used to get the larger vial and it was $299. We just did a weekly injection every Friday. they offer a smaller vial for about $139 (I think).

To put it into perspective, I used to go to the doctor's office for an injection and pay a $20 copay each time. We did it for the convienence factor.

19. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Diane,
    When I started, I definitely felt the benefit of taking T3 almost immediately. Finally, did not yawn all afternoon and was not desperate for a nap. Then, I had a hard time to go up. I was at 16-18 mcg daily dose for almost 4 months. I believe it was due to low ferritin. I supplemented for a few month and my ferritin levels improved. Now, I had no problem to increase and feel good. However, I don't want to rush things, I want my body to have time to adjust. That is why I decided on another increase in two weeks.

20. MsYo

MsYo Silver

Bump for reference