1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

All Things T3

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Patty Cakes, Sep 20, 2012.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

I'm trying to attch my labs. According to Dzugan i actually need to increase my Progesterone. Odd. wasn't expecting that. I'll give it a go, but generally have had a hard time increasing P (get intense Dry eyes and as I have had that prob even when off P, i'm worried how that will go...)

any feedback based on the labs? I take HC so am not surprised to see my cortisol so high. based on it though, i decided to scale back the HC (from 15mg; 10 in the am, 5 in the afternoon...to just 10mg in the morning only)

2. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

lets try this

3. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

T3 total - 113 (60-181 range)
    T4 total - 5.1 (5.4-10.1 range)
    cortisol/AM - 34 (4.3 - 22.4 range)

progesterone - 10.6 ( 2.3 - 25.9 )
    estradiol - 120 (55.8 - 214.2 )

assuming this was the luteal phase as it was day 21 of my cycle and I had my period on day 25...

confused bc it looks like my T4 and T3 are both low now. i only took away the cytomel ad my FT4 looked normal earlier. although, i dont usually base anything on just T3/T4...like to see Free T3 and Free T4 before making adustments (am upset that this test only tested such a limited array of thyroid labs). have another normal thyroid panel due this week.

cortisol looks high due to the 10 mg HC i take in the morning. since it looks a bit high, i got rid of my 5 mg afternoon dose. hope this is the right call. although my weight gain has been odd (on my stomach, arms etc) so am thinking i might be over doing the HC. my glucose also looked a little higher than I would like but again, think this might be due to HC.

any thoughts? based on these labs dzugan upped my P.

4. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Meg, for the p, find the calculator see what your pg/e2 ratio is. That is your best guide. I looked awhile back for myself and can't find it.

5. SeaJane

SeaJane Gold

As someone said, I am not sure you want to decide what to do based on someone else. Each of our context's is different. And, I am not sure that I have the right mix at all for myself. I just started BHRT this month and I am experiencing weight gain although I am not sure if this is due to hormones alone or low FT3 or both. I just doubled my FT3 levels the last 2 days (up from 7.5mcg twice a day to 15 mcg twice a day) and am feeling much better. I am no longer constantly cold and the Raynaud's symptoms have gone way down. For mito support, I am taking d-ribose, coQ10, acetly-carnitine, and magnesium.

Is weight gain associated with progesterone, estrogen, or the ratio? When I just did progesterone with vaginal troches, I did not gain weight. Also, when I did progesterone cream at about 200mg/day for second half of cycle I did not get weight gain. Only this cycle where I am cycling estrongen and progesterone the whole time and the progesterone levels are much higher than earlier. I don't have any other symptoms (i.e., tender breasts, depressed, brain fog) and my sleep has been good. Anyways, as I write this out, I realize this is questions for the BHRT thread probably and will post it over there as well.

6. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

I found an online calc - 76.5 is the ratio - what do we want to see?

7. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I thought it was between 100-500(400?) but closer to the top of the range. Maybe someone will chime in with the range.

8. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I thought I would share my new lab results and the effect that T3 can have if you need to clear Rt3. I've listed my August labs to the right where applicable.

Ok, so here are new test results:

Serum Iron 119mcg/dl (40-150)
    TIBC(total IBC) 235 L (240-450)
    %saturation 51 (15-55)
    Ferritin 105 ng/ml (10-291) 93 in December 2011

FT4 .61 ng/ml (.89-17.6) 1.26 August 2012
    FT3 3.88 pg/ml (2.30-4.20) 2.58 August 2012
    RT3 5.9 ng/dl L (9.2-24.1) 34.9 August 2012
    TSH .18 (.36-4.5). 2.55 August 2012
    Rt3 ratio in August was 7.4 now 66

9. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

T3 is certainly effective at clearing out RT3. I saw the same thing happen. Still trying to get optimal though. Despite my FT3 going UP (above range in fact) I'm noticing a weight gain right now. I have no idea what is going on. But even my boobs are bigger (estrogen surge?) I have no clue.

10. Rascal

Rascal New Member

It should be 250:1 to 500:1
    At my last consult Dr. K suggested I up my progesterone to 400mg from 200mg. My Pg/e2 ratio went up to 506:1. I don't have my previous numbers with me, but will be happy to post if anyone wants them.

11. Claudia

Claudia New Member

It should be 250:1 to 500:1
    At my last consult Dr. K suggested I up my progesterone to 400mg from 200mg. My Pg/e2 ratio went up to 506:1. I don't have my previous numbers with me, but will be happy to post if anyone wants them.

Are you in menopause or close to? That is a very high dose. On 200mg I felt awful, it was way too high for me.

12. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

How did you test this---blood, saliva---what lab

13. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I'm luck that I don't have that going on. Actually I am probably down 4 lbs since I started T3 seven weeks ago. I go back to see Dr. next week so we will see what he does with my meds.

14. Claudia

Claudia New Member

As someone said, I am not sure you want to decide what to do based on someone else. Each of our context's is different. And, I am not sure that I have the right mix at all for myself. I just started BHRT this month and I am experiencing weight gain although I am not sure if this is due to hormones alone or low FT3 or both. I just doubled my FT3 levels the last 2 days (up from 7.5mcg twice a day to 15 mcg twice a day) and am feeling much better. I am no longer constantly cold and the Raynaud's symptoms have gone way down. For mito support, I am taking d-ribose, coQ10, acetly-carnitine, and magnesium.
    Is weight gain associated with progesterone, estrogen, or the ratio? When I just did progesterone with vaginal troches, I did not gain weight. Also, when I did progesterone cream at about 200mg/day for second half of cycle I did not get weight gain. Only this cycle where I am cycling estrongen and progesterone the whole time and the progesterone levels are much higher than earlier. I don't have any other symptoms (i.e., tender breasts, depressed, brain fog) and my sleep has been good. Anyways, as I write this out, I realize this is questions for the BHRT thread probably and will post it over there as well.

Well, I wasn't planning on deciding what to do based on someone else. I wanted to know what the supplements were for mitochondrial support. I was on the Q&A so I got the information there as well.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I have been feeling better, too, on my 12.5 mcg t3 circadian dose. I will be adding d-ribose but also considering: ubiquinol, acetyl-l-carntine, r-lipoic acid, which were mentioned by Dr. K on the Q&A. Based on what I asked there, Dr. K said I am operating at 20% mitochondrial efficiency, which is not good. Apparently I am shot, which doesn't surprise me completely given the stress I"ve been under the last 10 years, two major deaths in my family (I was the only caretaker and was pregnant), had two kids, experienced huge financial problems, marital problems, and a move thrown in. I think those are all on the top 10 major stresses in life.

15. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I would really like to know if anyone taking acetyl-l-carnitine while on thyroid meds is experiencing an increase in hypoT symptoms/issues. I started taking ribose about a month ago, and 500mg of the carnitine. Then I did some reading and found I should increase it to 2000-3000mg/day (divided). I did this, and noticed a calming effect in my brain - difficult to describe, but things that would otherwise be somewhat stressful (like a debate/discussion with dh - not a fight per se) were not. In fact, this even occurred one evening before bed, and it didn't wreck my night (usually it would set me up for very poor sleep/inability to get to sleep). So I was pleased/excited about the acetyl-l-carnitine! But lately, within the past week or so, I'm not feeling so much better. More hypoT symptoms coming back strong. Then I found an article talking about using l-carnitine to help treat Graves! Apparently there's some evidence that it can block thyroid uptake by the cell (? or maybe into the nucleus). At the same time, I've read of plenty of people getting great results with it. I've been taking the higher dose for about 2 weeks now, and I'm going to discontinue it for the time being.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/549969-can-acetyl-l-carnitine-be-taken-with-levothyroxine/
    http://www.elaine-moore.com/Articles/GravesDisease/LcarnitineforGravesDisease/tabid/177/Default.aspx

16. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I had read on the YahooGroups Rt3 that it is better to split your T3 dosage up through the day because T3 doesn't stay in the system very long. My dosage is 25 mcg twice a day normally at 6:30 and 4:00. Someone suggested doing 12.5 mcg 4 times a day. Anyone else do this?

17. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Yes, I split up my dosing into 4 divided doses (in my case, 5mg each time). I've tried it on 2 doses, and didn't feel as well. Actually, I've played with all kinds of dosing schedules!

18. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Marti,

I split my doses into 4 x per day - 25 / 12.5 / 25 / 12.5 . Just had labs drawn on Friday and will review the with my doc at my next appt in a couple weeks. I feel really good at this dosage and am considering going to 3 x per day - 25 / 25 / 25 for convienence sake. I sometimes forget the last dose if I get busy in the evening (There have been so many webinars lately. Have two this week on Tuesday and Wednesday already on my schedule).

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So I've been feeling a bit blah, sluggish and running in a fog. not to mention by evening I'm freezing... Im taking 60 mg armour in the am & 30 mid afternoon... yesterday I added 30mg of compounded cytomel w/the 30 mg armor in the afternoon - and felt pretty good... still had the chills - but wasn't freezing...

definitely need more thyroid meds... just not sure which... going to dose my meds the same way I did yesterday... and see how I feel tomorrow... I'll be discussion w/my pcp tomorrow - and giving dzugan an update.... I'll also get my labs back too

20. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

In "why do i still have thyroid symptoms but my lab tests are normal " or something like that, it specifically mentions ALC and to be careful with it. You might want to pick up that book and read it. its very good.