1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Albert's Story and Journey to optimal!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Albert83BCN, May 31, 2013.

1. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Forgot to mention. Yesterday after doing a 30' biceps workout, 30' swimming pool and 20' cold showers/ice applying, I got home and decided to do a carb load just to see what happened. I ate 600gr of boiled potato with a final touch with spices and extra virgin olive oil and a pork steak, it was sunny and hot and we're now onto the longest daylight cicle so thought it would be no better ocassion for this test. With this I hit the end of the day with 170 gr of net carbs which there was some time I did not get so high, during the last months I rarely got past 100-120, almost always between 50 to 80 on a daily basis. I became sleepy not much time after and managed to go to sleep at 23:30 and I got up at 7:30 which is a very decent sleep time, and I don't remember exactly but I think I've not got up to pee this night. That gives carbs a high up IMHO... so now I'm even more troubled with my beliefs in the ketogenic diet. Only side is I got up pretty grogy and with slight head ache that cleared about 1h after having the BAB and the coconut/cocoa coffee, so that's why I still have a hope in low carb, I do really feel better ovareall, but then there are the other issues. I realize that as potatoes have some decent magnesium in it and I went all-in they could have worked a deal helping retaining body water so it might not be a carb thing but a deeper problem with me being dehydrated and that I should head the structured water thing right now to get thought it, yes I'm doing my research on it right now.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think that some carbs can help in the short run, but they are never good in the long run.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

You could tell him that you thought about the low fat, high carb diet, but you knew it would lower your HDL and raise your Trigs, and everyone knows that those numbers actually correspond to cardiac risk. Many doctors will agree with that. You could also tell him the raised LDL is protective in times of stress, but he probably won't hear that.

Most doctors would say that adrenal fatigue is not a concern, because they do not believe it exists. And, according to Dr. Kruse, the adrenal glands do not actually get "fatigued". It is actually the brain that affects cortisol production, and the fatigue is a diminished function of the brain.

About the testing, you could test cortisol, T, T3 and such on your own, to confirm where your true issues lie. Then you can treat those issues accordingly. Instead of a followup test, you can see how you feel better, or see that other tests (approved by your doc) actually improve, and draw inferences.

4. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Thanks nonchalant!

Yes, right now I also look at carbs as a quick fix, so that's why I need to get everything in tune, so I do not need to rely on fixes hehe :D

Well, about the doc... I tried to give him some clues about my line of thinking, I told him I had the feeling that diet was fine because HDL and trigs were great, he didn't look like interested in this, I also mentioned many times how I was vegetarian before and eating meat and fish again for some time, didn't make any comment about this, that gives some proof that he is not very nutrition oriented and that's why he gave me the sheet that he had to get up and go look for it somewhere in the consult and just told me to stick with it... to be honest I think there was no hope in pushing it so that's why I just agreed and thought ok I'll deal with this on my own.

And as for the testing myself, anything that I do myself I'll have to pay for it... so that's why I seek to get from my docs, my insurance costs 60 bucks a month to my family so I'd better get benefit from it. But fortunately I still have to go see my urologist as half of the data of the labs I got from him and I have to talk to him for the varicocele thing, I think I'll have the surgery to get rid of it just to be safe. I will ask what he thinks about the low T outcome so hopefully next labs he will agree to check and I won't need to resort to my general doc for this. The urologist is also pretty CW-oriented but pretty open to prescript labs as far as I have seen so at least I can get some useful things still from him!

BTW, today's lunch. Salad with baby leaf, beet, avocado and ume boshi vinegar, olive oil and a touch of powdered curcumin, and sardines and prawns with some garlic and a brazil nut. Epi-paleo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Nice lunch! I've been interested in salads more lately too, guess it's the long days.

6. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

I used to hate them when I was a child. That's because what you can get most of the times (including from my mom) it's cheap lettuce that tastes like plastic stuff :S Nowadays I make my own salads that are amazingly good tasting and they are a staple for me now!

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Could you not just appear to agree with your Doc to get the needed testing? Alot of us here have to do that - just use your Doc for testing and scripts......he doesn't seem very open and not likely to research or read either - pretty typical .... they don't really have time and aren't all that interested.... we have to be on top of this ourselves ---- that is what Jack is teaching us to do.........

8. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Yes caroline that's what I'm doing, the problem here is that he relies on a very different battery test than Jack's recommend so I cannot have Vitamin D, HS-CPR, Cortisol & DHEA and a VAP profile instead of regular lipid test amongst others so it sucks a lot... with time I'll try to visit different doctors from my insurance and see if I can find one that is more Paleo friendly so I could talk to him about the epi-paleo framework and the optimal labs so he could cooperate, I'm afraid that for now it's almost no doc like this here in Barcelona...

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

It seems to me that there is someone else on the forum from Spain ..... I'll have to think about that....maybe someone else remembers.........

It is the same in Australia .... hard to find a functional Doc. Mine is very interested in functional medicine but doesn't know a whole lot - so we are learning together! He is very interested in what Jack has to say and was willing to listen to our consult.

Have you thought of a naturopath?

10. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Yes I've thought of a naturopath but I took a look at my online insurance facultative list and even didn't see this category listed... I guess it must be some, but some time ago I did a search about this and it seemed that most of them, at least here in Spain, use more of a pseudo-scientific and even 'esoteric' approach to medicine and health that honestly I don't trust a lot... I might be wrong though. Some of them are even into vegan-vegetarianism and whole grain is the way to go right now here.... and I already got past this and not planning to get back there right now.

BTW, some fun :D

Yesterday I saw an interesting topic in Paleo Hacks asking for body compositions and macro-nutrients so people could relate results and diet-types applied to the members... I posted mine with current picture and one from 16 or 17 years ago. This is my epic body-composition hack that has lasted 10 years till now. When I first read about Jack's mega-hack on his weight loss I felt a connection with him as I somehow went a similar route. Lucky him he has an amazing 30,000 foot view of medicine whereas I do not, hehe.

http://paleohacks.com/questions/198...-what-is-your-bodys-composition/198549#198549

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

WOW .... you look amazing! you have done a great job sculpting your body - now to get really healthy inside and out.

You will see the 30,000 ft view in no time. your very own n=1

You can order a saliva ASI on line from ZRT labs .... that is what I do.

surely you could insist to your Doc how important a Vit D test would be? Some on the forum have concocted stories for their disinterested Doc - sort of make up a bogus medical profile about disease in your family and so you require these tests ...... we all have to think outside the box to get what we want and need and deserve.

Have you read the book ...The iodine crisis: what you don't know about iodine can wreck your life - by Lynne Farrow
    It is in Kindle version.
    This is a very worthwhile little book - it hilites how Doctors are trained and how they think [except for Jack of course!]
    and how they think about protocols that they try to force on unsuspecting patients. It really opened my eyes as did Jack's book. The history of iodine is fascinating and how it fell out of favor after being the go to for so many ills - for so may years.

Have you been following the iodine thread on the forum - Grizz is very up to speed and doing a great job of educating everyone. He has spent countless hours researching ........

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Thanks for the advice caroline!!

I'll get that book, and yes, I've already had a look at the Iodine thread although just a brisk read, there's so much info overload!! But I'm trying to get the hand on all this, for now I'm all-in in seafood and reviewing my typical mineral water brands, I think this is a good step forwards but a lot to master yet, for sure :)

Regarding the saliva test from ZRT, I guess it will be a little pain in the *** to get it delivered to the US, it's also a little bit expensive... (although I understand that health come first) If I were to do it, I have already found two labs on my city where I could go personally to get informed and do the process, I think it will be easier that way. For now I'm doing research on docs over the net, I've found a Spanish holistic doc that seems to have been in my city and lists on her website a lot of info that matches really well with the paleo ideas, I'll try to contact her to see if she works with my insurance, something says she will not but maybe knows of other people with alike-thinking so I can finally get to one!

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Do you have a compounding pharmacy? That is where I got the name of my Doctor. A chemist doesn't recommend Docs but they will tell you who is writing a lot of scripts for BHRT and give you names to follow up with. The Chemist at my compounding pharmacy then approached me afterwards and asked me about my Doc. She said there was a woman moving here who wanted to know what Docs are available ..... so you see - it becomes a circle of information ... we just have to keep digging!

14. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Never thought about this possibility really, great idea! in computer science that's what we call reverse engineering! hehe

Thanks a lot, don't know if there's a pharmacy like this near home, the ones I've seen look like pretty conventional but it must be some in Barcelona for sure, next time I go to my typical one will ask!

15. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Hi there!

Many days without saying anything because I really have nothing special to report. I'm feeling pretty well on a general basis, though some days I'm a little bit off, specially during the morning... I'm suspecting some food intolerance because that random thingy seems weird... right now I've done a test without coffee, I cannot say for sure it's helping... I'd say a little bit with a confidence of about 50% or so because I had some occasionally and felt slightly worse specially the day after... but some days I've been off many days in a row and also got some weird symptoms. Another thing I'm suspecting is eggs, I tried many days without them and felt better 'inflammatory-wise'... then introduced back... felt great with them also some days, so not sure. I'm keeping a close eye to food and I guess if there's something offending I'll eventually find out what might be.

Well, I updated because I've just ordered a salivary 4x cortisol test plus DHEA-S from ZRT through the Canary Club... 150$ that in euros is 114€, hurts a little bit to me but still somehow affordable... at least will know where I'm right now after doing the epi-paleo for 5 months, syncing to the light cycles, some CT, some grounding, the adaptogens... we will see! Avoiding EMF has been the weakest part for me right now, lot of work to do still here.

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

You will get there ....Rome wasn't built in a day.....just keep plugging away! Quite awhile ago I suspected eggs didn't agree with me ... nothing concrete .... just an idea. I stopped eating them for quite a few months ....and now when I have then - I don't feel quite right. I definitely feel better without them. Last nite I had two teaspoons of natural almond butter and I had problems all nite ....bloating and really bad digestion. The same thing happened a few days ago but I blamed something else. I am wondering if it is the mould? I use this natural almond butter to make a paleo banana bread and don't feel good when I have that either ....now I know it is the butter. The plainer I eat - the better .....no fancy stuff -
    just simple.

Good luck with your ASI test .... you are getting hormones done too - right?

17. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Thanks for the input! Curious thing... I sometimes feel a little bit weird on nuts butters also, with almonds I guess it's more noticeable also, I eat macadamias with no much problems at all, these last days I reintroduced cashew organic butter... might have something to do with it... uhmmm...

Nope, with hormones the price went up and also read that salivary hasn't been very accurate for many people. As I got blood checked not that long ago and have some bad numbers regarding free test, I'm pretty sure that if I go to the urologist he will have no problem with prescribing some more labs to re-check, so I saved a little bit money on this right now, but the cortisol + DHEA-S is a thing I have been doubting that any conventional doc will prescribe for me so in the end I decided to do myself...

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

I went and looked in the cupboard at my nut butter .....It is brazil, almond and cashew! I was in a world of pain last nite from so little. I can also eat macadamia nuts with no problem......

19. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Hehe, we might be into something here. With time I found out that for me, better have just a little bit of nuts once in a while than very often, they also trigger insane hunger for me... but even like this I eat two brasil nuts a day for the selenium... no problem at all AFAIK but well you never know...

20. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Ok, I got my ZRT lab results!

Here we go. Both DHEA-S and 4xCortisol are salivary tests.

DHEA-S: 25.7 ng/ml (high) Ref range: 2 - 23 (for my age seems it would be 22)
    Cortisol Morning (7:30 AM, pre BAB): 2.1 (low) Ref range: 3.7 - 9.5)
    Cortisol Noon (1:00 PM, before lunch): 4.7 (high) Ref range: 1.2 - 3.0)
    Cortisol Evening: (6:45 PM, before dinner): 2 (border-line high) Ref range: 0.6 - 1.9
    Cortisol Night (11:50 PM, bedtime): 0.4 (OK) Ref range: 0.4 - 1.0

Here you have the PDF report for more info... there's the checklist I was asked to fill in with my symptoms and an evaluation from the lab (that does not anything that I could not find in the Wikipedia IMHO... the report formatting is nice and well designed BTW hehe).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h59a90nv5... - Analisis ZRT Labs Cortisol 4x i DHEA-S.pdf

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this... frankly from what I feel (see the attached PDF it's pretty comprehensive!) I expected to see low DHEA-S instead of high? Well been doing D3+K2 plus lots of sunshine plus ZMA plus more strenght training with less running, plus NAC/milk thistle and probiotics and taking a lot of care of my gut... maybe things are working? is it troublesome to have slightly high DHEA-S?

If I line up this info with previous bloodwork two months ago I have:

High DHEA-S, high Total Testosterone but low Free Testerosterone, TSH slightly above 3 (improving) and normal T3/T4 and free T4 but slightly low T3 (poor conversion), high total cholesterol but excelent HDL/trigs/blood sugar, bad liver indicators (AST/ALT and some others, see previous posts...)

Tomorrow I'll get the results from a more recent blood work I did last week that it's not very comprehensive but I'll have updated transaminases and total cholesterol so I can guess how I'm progressing.

Implementing most of the RX's for 6 months right now... but what it helped the most I think has been being gluten free and giving a break from endurance running as far as I can tell...

Now... what I should do with my low morning cortisol? I think it raises with the BAB and one to two hours of waking since you see, by 1PM it's even higher than recommended.... but how I should achieve high value just at wake time? Seems weird as I'm getting up by myself like a clock around 7AM and eating most days at the same times and being mindful of light cycles and so on... might I follow supp presciptions found in Jacks older blogs about Adrenal Fatigue? have read them but will re-read, but regarding the standard epi-paleo RX's I've been compliant with most, my achiles heel would be EMF and blue light from technology (Ok I know this is a big one... althought cortisol levels at night seem fine and not much problem falling asleep, more maintaining uninterrumped sleep time).

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013