1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Afternoon Crying = Chronobiology?

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by brent-next, Oct 19, 2017.

1. brent-next

brent-next Gold

I have a wonderful baby boy, born August 4, 2017. His mother is very devoted and attentive.

All through the morning he is just sweetness and light, at night he has minimal wake ups and only makes small noises, but in the afternoon, he cries and cries like something is really wrong. His mother is just as attentive and caring in the morning as she is in the afternoon.

Mom CAN eventually calm him down, but it seems like a daily 2 or 3 hour crying session is really unnecessary.

Any wisdom that you can dispense would be appreciated.
  2. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

Sounds like colic. My boy had it for the first three months. It was torture. Google 'The Witching Hour'. It started at night and crept earlier and earlier in the day. I've heard stories of it happening at different times.

He'll outgrow it soon. Hang in there. It's tough!!!
    shiran likes this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It can be many things but one thing to consider is that sensory processing disorders often present this way. FYI.
    shiran likes this.
  4. shiran

shiran Curious

Had the same experience with the first two kiddos
    My third one is going to be a biohacking mito kiddo I'll keep you updated... hhhh

I suggest you get a lot of patience it will pass , then try to check what happened in days the baby spends time in the sun or outside in general.. dose it affect the situation...
  5. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

Yes, I meant to add. The days where I held my boy ALL DAY (carried and held by someone if not me) the colic was definitely less. And I put him to bed super early and that also helped.

It will pass. It is hellish. One day he will stop doing it. Don't worry about it, it's very, very common!
  6. Allin

Allin New Member

My younger brother did this until my mother started feeding him baby cereal when he was about a week old. She said he was still hungry. Now this was back in 1954...
  7. brent-next

brent-next Gold

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

We just moved to a different house, with an easier place for mom to take him out in the sun and less measured non native EMF.

Does anyone have any ideas how much a northern european baby boy should be out in 21 degree north tropical sun? Obviously it needs to be divided doses over the day.

There definitely has been less crying here in Mexico than there was in Costa Rica, and Mexico at this time of year has a lot more hours of sunshine.
  8. brent-next

brent-next Gold

My current theory is that my baby cries in the afternoon on days when he hasn't had enough sleep. During the first seven weeks of his life he would sleep through a construction site next to his bed, but at about seven weeks he became a lot more sensitive to sounds.

On days when he gets good morning and afternoon naps , we have very little afternoon crying.

Do any of you experienced parents have suggestions on getting babies to go asleep and stay asleep long enough to wake up feeling rested?
  9. drezy

drezy Gold

FWIW I've had coworkers with the same issue.

If I had it all to do over again I'd experiment with outdoor walks with some sun exposure prior to naps. I know that when I get my NO dermal hit I feel very calm.
    brent-next likes this.
  10. brent-next

brent-next Gold

I've been at a loss to figure out how much sun to expose him to. He's a pasty white northern european baby and I don't want to burn him and I also know that he does need some sun, probably in divided doses over the day and before naps would be good.
  11. drezy

drezy Gold

That AM non-burning sun might be pretty useful to leverage. My son and I built up a great solar callous using AM sun. So much so I told a blonde indoorsy buddy that I think I'd feel safe even in Columbia with him at my side. Relative to my new bronzed look he looks like he'd fetch a way bigger ransom and there'd be no point in abducting me.
    brent-next likes this.
  12. brent-next

brent-next Gold

Thanks. Here in Chuburna Mexico, the morning sun until about 9:00 a.. is strong but doesn't have that much UV in it. Might be a good idea. Thanks.
  13. brent-next

brent-next Gold

The end result seemed to be that the crying in the afternoon was due to lack of sleep. During the first seven weeks of his life he would sleep through anything, but after that we had to work doing the usual parenting tricks (walking and chanting) to get him to sleep enough in the morning and the afternoon.

When he gets his long morning and afternoon long naps there is minimal crying. If he doesn't get his long morning and afternoon naps he will cry much more in the afternoon.

Thanks to all.
    ScottishEmma, drezy and shiran like this.
  14. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

Welcome to parenthood. Just when you've got it figured out, he'll change. #kids :)
    drezy likes this.
  15. drezy

drezy Gold

Yeah brent never underestimate the fact that your child has two extremely finely tuned quantum sensors:
    1. Dad seems to be too relaxed
    2. Dad seems to think he'll be getting special access to mom tonight
    Jim Al-Khalili's quantum robins are tricky but nothing tops those two sensors your baby has.
    ScottishEmma likes this.