1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Congratulation
    and
    question.
    Most of the pork meat is very finely ground in mortadella.
    [​IMG]

How to finely grind pork meat?
    I am not sure if I have the right grinder.
    Eventually, so far I have newer made actual kielbasy.
    The main reason that it would take forever to smoke it.
    So instead I am making jerks (as we speak).
    To do that I am grinding meat plates with fine holes.
    I tried to grind it the second time and it is practically impossible to do that.
    What gives?

The poor quality grinder does not want to pull thru meat that was already ground?
    Something else?

I have this grinder:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2DYCG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2020-1-9_17-24-17.png

2. drezy

drezy Gold

I've always stuck with the smallest plate and added a little gelatin to the mix up front. I don't bother grinding twice.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

I LOVE mortadella ....do you deliver?????????

drezy likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm working on the aggressive chunky fattiness that I expect, but the flavor sure is there. My experimental 3.5 Lb is down to 0.5 Lb in one evening.

Inger and caroline like this.
  5. Inger

Inger Silver

I want to start making my own sausage (salami style) too!! IDK what mortadella is, is it raw, like salami?

drezy likes this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Mortadella is an Italian sausage (image from wikipedia below). I zeroed in on it since there are big chucks of fat in it. I know that fat should be lower deuterium so it's a win in my book.

It is slowwwwww cooked in 150ºF water for 4-6 hours.

I have not tried salami yet. From some notes and references it would take nearly 3 months to full lose enough water to qualify as a salami.

I prepare 90+% of the meals my family eats and I'm always happy to talk food.

I have a big 15 year old now that can eat and eat. When I prepare a meal that would have been just the right size a year ago it turns out I'm involuntarily fasting given how much my son eats. Making sausages in one of the tricks I use to keep great tasting food around while keeping it very affordable.

[​IMG]

caroline likes this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

upload_2020-1-10_16-23-25.png
    upload_2020-1-10_16-21-59.png
    upload_2020-1-10_16-18-38.png
    upload_2020-1-10_16-32-25.png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    drezy likes this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

So far I'm sticking with this 3.5" casing for now
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KYCN80C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll move up to 4" once I know I've got it all adjusted.

I forgot to mention that when I made the mortadella my wife helped me stuff the sausage... That double entendre will never get old to me.

My recipe was pretty close to that one. Mace can be substituted out for a little less nutmeg (same plant different part). Also I have no idea what Tasmanian pepper berries are but some band out there should name themselves that.

caroline likes this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

upload_2020-1-10_16-37-33.png

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

11. drezy

drezy Gold

Hmm given my Chinese-ness by horizontal gene transfer......
    I'll give these little beauties a try next. Szechuan pepper is addictive. I'm not a beer guy, but beer and Szechuan pepper food goes together incredibly well.

Thanks for the info!

caroline likes this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

We may be going to Tasmania soon .....I will check it out!

drezy likes this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Did you smoke what you made?

14. drezy

drezy Gold

This one was cooked in a 150º F water bath.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

so not smoked at all. Didn't Jan's recipe include smoking? I would not have thought that mortadella was smoked........

16. drezy

drezy Gold

Mine sure isn't smoked. A light smoking might be nice but heavy smoke wouldn't make sense to me in this regard. I'm sticking with a hot water bath. With a some decent equipment it's walk-away easy.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

do you have a sous vide? did you use a curing compound? I would probably react to that.

18. drezy

drezy Gold

I got a mid-grade $70 sous vide for a birthday gift.

For anyone that cooks and also wants to keep skin in the sun game that little thing is excellent. Plop it into water. Walk away for 4- 8 hours. No worrying about anything burning (food or house). Restaurant quality or better food for 1/3 the price. It also makes the moistest most flavorful Greek lamb loaf I've even eaten.

I've used curing salts once. None of what I make ever lasts more than 3 days with a growing son who finishes 1.5 lbs of meatballs prior to CT then decides after CT to just finish off the rest. I don't bother curing stuff anymore.

What is your reaction to curing salts?

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

20. drezy

drezy Gold

Initial thoughts
    Chlorophyll:hemoglobin::flavonoid:melanin

Flavonoids seem to be precursors (or co-evolved) of melanin and they seem to have an interaction with melanin function.

Your article mentions apigenin and luteolin.

PhcogMag_2018_14_54_203_229680_f1.jpg
    ^^apigenin
    c4ra01396d-f1_hi-res.gif
    ^^luteolin

graph.png

This article is worth a little time given you read it through the lens we have here (read beyond the "well, it's there for UV protection..." statements):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4261200/

Couple it with this thread for more insight:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...c-amino-acids-and-uv-light.17292/#post-184791

Marko Pollo and JanSz like this.