1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark Dr. Dennis Clark

@drezy @JanSz Thanks to inspiration by you two, I have now launched my sausage making career. OK...I have just made my first batch, making cabbage pork sausage acc. to drezy's recipe. Made ca. 4 lbs. Cooked and ate one pattie right away ... delicous! Yes, JanSz, I figured that making patties would be much easier than stuffing into casings. Froze up baggies of patties for future use. Will have a sausage dinner after fasting today. Inspiration continues ... will accompany sausage dinner with ahi tuna poke flavored with pesto sauce. (Probably makes it no longer officially a Hawaiian dish.)

JanSz, that is exactly the model meat grinder that I got. My family bargain hunter (my wife) found it on Ebay for $65. Grinding the meat I got (3.5 lbs of pork rump, ca. 25% fat content - didn't add any extra fat) was a bit of a hassle until I switched to the coarse-size. Too much sinew in the meat kept clogging up the medium-size. Wasn't sure what to do with the cabbage and onions, so I chopped them up and ground them with the meat. Worked just fine.

Will probably be salivating over dinner while at a football game this afternoon. Arizona Hotshots (new league, AAF). Getting some sunny energy before the feast later.

Life is great!

Christine_L and drezy like this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am also thinking of making patties.

How do you eat it, cooked or raw?

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

my plan
    1. keep all cold (40F or less)
    2. cut meat into small pieces
    3. mix everything (meat, spices, cabbage, little extra water (1Liter/10 kilograms)(per other Polish recipes))
    4.grind everything using large
    5.at this stage I am not sure what to do, usually all should be put in refrigerator for 2-3 days then is sausage filling, drying, submerging in water (spiced) at 75-80C=175F for 1/2 hr (ie. cooking), smoking

I am thinking of sidestepping all this steps and make patties and eating (possibly without any heating).

Need comments

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    drezy likes this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

(Note that dr Russak have a problem with Chines garlic).
    Need comments on how to find (good) garlic.

Note bacon stuffed with sausage meat. time 1:50:25
    Please locate similar wires used in this tool.

upload_2019-3-24_11-23-57.png
    upload_2019-3-24_11-18-44.png

upload_2019-3-24_11-20-52.png

Tradycyjna produkcja kiełbasy dr Russak

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

6. Dennis Clark

The Kutas book that drezy referred to has lots of directions, recipes, and interesting stories about how he got into sausage making. He also uses Prague #1 (and #2) in some of his recipes. The chapter on casings alone is overwhelming. (I'm keeping things simple by just making patties.) Book is still available on Amazon. I think that one of the keys that I failed to pay attention to is keeping the meat cold, mostly for consistency for grinding. One blog somewhere even recommended that any extra fat be put into the freezer for 15-20 minutes before grinding. The main changes I would make to Kutas' recipes follow drezy's to eliminate fillers, esp. milk products.

JanSz likes this.
  7. Dennis Clark

Hmm...raw sounds appealing. I cooked my first pattie rare, which was great. The nearly raw middle (warm) was fantastic. Will give raw a go later today. Ground pork should be easier to chew/swallow without cooking than bacon. (Raw bacon is like leather, so I cook it slowly and lightly).

8. drezy

drezy Gold

Stuffing the casing from the grinder is possible. I did eventually get a vertical stuffer since when I make (grinder into casing) batches greater than 2-3 lbs the grinder gets too warm for my liking near the end of the batch. I make larger batches for my family of 3 plus my parents.

Yeah. I throw the meat and grinding equipment into the freezer for up to 50 minutes prior to working with it.

@JanSz the wire rack and the sausage impregnated pork belly is pretty wild. I've never seen that before.

9. drezy

drezy Gold

I was up at 4AM to take someone to the airport.

That felt weird.

Ask some good questions on the Q&A for me. I'll bask half-awake in the sun for the next 1.5 hours.

Christine_L likes this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Thanks for the reason for getting vertical stuffer.

I can't locate that wire rack, can you?

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

When you are making sausages
    what do you do after sausages are stuffed?

are you:

cooking them for 1/2 hr in hot water
    smoking
    or
    you just eat it?

12. drezy

drezy Gold

I cannot. You could start with meat netting from amazon, just learn which diameter will work for you.

If I'm not smoking them I'll either cook them or let them sit in the fridge until they are ready to cook. I think the immediate cooking business is partially inspired by germ phobia. I go up to 4 days prior to cooking a stuffed sausage before I'll go ahead and just cook the whole batch. Same for patties.

If smoking, I'll purposely let it hang in the fridge or put it on an airy wire rack overnight. There is nothing worse than trying to smoke a sausage with a wet casing. It's like pushing rope... Non-wet casing = smoke permeable.

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Thanks.
    --
    There is a process (I forgot its name), say, call it marinating or pickling.
    where whole mix of meat and spices are sitting in the fridge for 2-4 days.
    Sometime it may happen before, sometimes after grinding.

14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

15. I believe anything put into a smoker should be completely dryed after brining and before smoking. or
    I dry overnight in a fridge on a rack or speed dry with a fan on a rack or overnight in barbque (to protect from varmits) when ambiant temp is cold.

drezy likes this.
  16. drezy

drezy Gold

Phosphene, Christine_L and Sheddie like this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm finishing the March webinar. Late, I know.

Honestly, I'm very happy to hear the mention of fields as often as they have been mentioned in the webinar.

It's starting to help me square off many of my experiences.

recoen, Phosphene and Christine_L like this.
  18. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

drezy likes this.
  19. I finished listening to it today too. There was always more out there than the paradigm people would feed you in order to make decisions or shape your life. Intuition always comes off as "woowoo" but its not its what your gut tells you and you feel in your heart. I knew it was what shaped my destiny and by ignoring it I was giving into my own fear that in turn ruins my future. But its hard to let go! Anyway, it speaks to me. Once you hear the Q&A I'm the cry baby half way in :p

20. drezy

drezy Gold

I'll listen to the Q&A soon. Don'tneglect the possibility that the emotion was needed to connect you to something that you needed to be connected to.

Migrating birds must not relish leaving their nest for another way of life, but something in their mind and body must change to make it an obvious move.