1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Dont muck around, I believe everything :D

2. drezy

drezy Gold

I used to love working with Germans. One of my favorite tricks was to give a perfect technical presentation in front of a group of Germans and then leave from behind the podium pretending to be oblivious to the fact that 12 feet of toilet paper was hanging out the back of my pants like a tail. Many in the room would seem confused or embarrassed for me. Interestingly many who grew up as East Germans seemed to get it and just laugh.

Christine_L and Jenny S like this.
  3. drezy

drezy Gold

My son and I are picking up a new weekend hobby that I'm a little embarrassed it took this long to think of - river wade fishing.
    1. Find quiet spot along river
    2. Step into water with good sun exposure
    3. Cast line
    My wife claims that she wants to come along. We will bring her too. She's never been fishing so we will need to explain to her that a 4 hour fishing does not require more than 30 minutes of cumulative discussion. The explanation will need to be tactful so I'm leaving it up to my son.

4. Sheddie

Sheddie Silver

If she doesn't know different, there're different kinds of fishing and lures -- tell her an appetizer of Worm Bellies is likely for dinner with the day's catch...

drezy likes this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

I sure hope I'm not the only guy that sometimes misreads:

vagal nerve stimulation
    AS
    vag(in)al nerve stimulation

Because
    1. I start thinking I've gotta check this out and I hope there's pictures
    2. I start hearing burlesque music in my head and my pulse raises
    3. Then the big let down when, a few sentences in, I realize "Oh, it's just this f*cking vagal nerve business again!"

Just wish they consulted me before naming this nerve...

Christine_L, ElEva and SlamSlask like this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

An old male barn swallow returned this spring without his mate this year. I've watched him guard over 4 years of hatchlings with his mate. That's a good run for his species. He sits where he always does and I recognize him by where he perches. By all practical measures he's been a nuisance to me his whole life by crapping on my porch and swooping my head when I get in his domain.

With no nest and no hatchlings he still plays out this role. I ignore his swooping aggressions as much as I always have except I changed in one way. My wife was going to go to our back porch through a door that was close to the crabby old bird. I asked her to use the other door this spring and let crabby grandpa bird get as much sleep as he needs.

I've always listened to high population density dwelling people when they spout environmental "wisdom". Everyone needs a good laugh now and then.

wildperoxin, caroline and Sheddie like this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

In my parents barn with the cows, there were a windows that would be closed for winter and windows were taken out when barn swallows returned.
    Inside the barn, by ceiling, my dad made a shelf less than two feet long.
    There were two nests there used by swallows every year.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

Without metropolitan dwelling UN enforceable resolutions he just did it on his own???? Lol.

I built a structure like that in the front arched entry of my house. Seeing baby birds fallen to their death one year is enough to compel a guy to assist. Perhaps your father was moved by a similar incident. When you think about the word entrainment as it could apply to these situations you have to wonder who was training who or maybe it's just mutual.

Either way spring is always enchanting to behold.

9. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

When I lived in town I would hear moreporks (native NZ owl) all day long, though I never ever saw one in 45 odd years.. The light environment had them all messed up.

After moving rural, I only hear them at night. I saw my first one only 3 years ago while walking back from a waterfall through the bush at sunset. It followed us down the trail. This trail has absolutely zero cellphone coverage btw.

This is the waterfall 30 minutes walk from home. We used to CT here until DW saw an eel and that was the end of that:eek::rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nice

drezy likes this.
  11. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm always impressed with owls. I saw one capture prey once at night. They swoop in so fast and silent. You never hear them coming.

They will also stare you down. I swear they are sizing me up thinking about how they could eat me and dump out my hair and skeleton.

The falls are amazing. The eel is one of my favorite sushi dishes. It's just the stretch limo of fish.

I still think the are some pages missing from the holy books. One of the soon to b found excerpts will read:

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

We camped in a field in a country town last nite .......lovely people, lots of trees and chickens and cows and horses. I haven't talked to a horse in years - I think we had a mutually satisfactory conversation.

Country folk blow me away with their generosity and kindness.

13. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

I am amazed by owls too. I will never forget coming face to face with one that was perched and sleeping on a log, in a pile of brush, in the cemetary behind us. My husband and I were just holding hands and walking and talking when I happened to look a little to my side and see him. I walked over to him and within only a few inches of him, told him how peaceful he looked and how beautiful he was. He must have sensed that I meant no harm because he never moved and he remained there as we continued to walk on.

wildperoxin, caroline and drezy like this.
  14. drezy

drezy Gold

My back porch grandpa bird apparently lured a young honey! I can tell because he's pretty silent but his new friend lands where a nest could be made and makes non-stop sounds for minutes at a time. If one creature is almost monosyllabic and the mate goes on for minutes I can always be pretty sure who's who. Marriage taught me that.

I learned that the Barn Swallow is socially monogamous. Essentially as monogamous, in theory, as humans mostly try to be.

This young honey is going to run my grandpa bird down, but I suspect he's getting something out of the deal too...

My grandpa bird looks like the below picture if you took that bird and left it in the laundry drier for 45 minutes.

[​IMG]

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

supreme agility in flight
    [​IMG]

Brent Patrick likes this.
  16. drezy

drezy Gold

The little guy can still dive bomb my face right up to 2" from my nose and the shoot off perpendicular and leave me in the wind he produced. Makes me like his tenacity.

He seems to be having a little trouble making a nest so I did some research and put a mockup in the place. Hopefully he can sell her on it.

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

There is a good chance that he will use it.

/

wildperoxin likes this.
  18. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm embarrassed to say that I spent 25 minutes on hanging the cut out base of a plastic container, creating a mud smeared exterior with my hands so it looks about right, and packed in hay (from my bow target backstop ).

At the height of my embarrassment, as I screwed the nest into my home's exterior (a destructive process), I remembered -- I'm the universal wingman. If there is a male out there with an ounce of vigor left in him it's built into me and all my electron's orbital angular momentums to facilitate him.

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

you are one crazy dude .....I like it!

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  20. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Wow..Niiiicccceeeee You can see to the bottom. One day I will live or visit a water source (beach for an example) that I can see to the bottom.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018