1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Mike David

Mike David Same name new person

upload_2019-2-22_15-45-55.png upload_2019-2-22_15-45-56.jpeg

Phosphene, drezy and Alex97232 like this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

3. Mike David

Yes. Does that get you a wired internet connection with the phone?

4. drezy

drezy Gold

Yeah, I can show you how to do airplane mode on your phone and still have internet access. We download audiobooks onto my son's iPad this way.

5. Mike David

This is great news. I haven’t touched a real computer in over a year but I stay connected by this damn phone. I know less about tech stuff than a food guru knows about light.

Michalis and Anne V like this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

It's not that complicated.

Hit me with a PM and let me know your internet provider and maybe a description of your modem/router model.

Mike David likes this.
  7. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Very interesting. ..Humm. maybe post it.. lol. Just saying:rolleyes::D

8. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Knock knock Drezy, lol yes I back. Question about a soup. I am going to make fish broth soon to make a soup. I was wondering what to substitute soy sauce to give it the same flavor. Have you ever had wonton soup from restaurant. Well the flavor of that soup I want to accomplish. Would using anchovies work.

If you have recipe even better.

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  9. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Mike David likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

I'll scrub up my notes and post soon.

Heck, I've gone as far as having wonton soup in Beijing.

Don't miss out on trying dried seafood:
    "We all know that the salt of glutamic acid (A.K.A. monosodium glutamate or MSG) is the natural compound largely responsible for the sensation of umami in foods. It's what makes things like hams, parmesan cheese, or soy sauce taste so savory. But there are other compounds that can enhance the effect of glutamic acid, namely inosinate and guanosine, two proteins that are found in abundance in seafood, particularly dried seafood, where it gets concentrated. On their own, inosinate and guanosine have no real flavor, they merely act to increase our own perception of savoriness, much like sprinkling your meat with salt will not just make it taste salty, but will actually make it taste more like itself."
    From https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/04/the-food-lab-wonton-soup.html

Also whitey often doesn't stock a kitchen with white pepper. That's worth a try too.

Phosphene likes this.
  11. Billybats

Billybats New Member

That recipe was perfect. I was going to put seaweed in it too and they mentioned kelp. Thanks again Drezy:thumbsup:. I will give you an update.

drezy likes this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

Change can be tough to implement across a family.

I've gotta grab a karaoke copy of this. I think I'll be instituting a new policy in my home in order to center our gratitude. Every Friday I'd really like my family to rotate singing roles with this song:

Phosphene and recoen like this.
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

My son won a regional (SW US region) writing competition for short stories.

We've played the "But what if...' game for a decade.

He has most definitely surpassed me now.

I'm lucky and fortunate to have a son like this.

Sheddie, Phosphene, johnsonmd and 3 others like this.
  14. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

I mourned some losses like that in Nov/Dec. I got tricked into thinking that I was valued for bringing something to the table with some friends... the reality was no one wanted what I had to bring. It pretty well sucked. I just had to double-down and focus back on me. And of course, get back to this forum :)

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  15. Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark Dr. Dennis Clark

That does it, Dan. I have been thinking of this particular post of yours for months. The upshot is that I just got my first meat grinder. Now I can start experimenting with recipes such as yours here. First thing out of the box was to grind up a T-bone steak (otherwise too tough for me to chew thoroughly). Sauteed the 'burger' in bacon fat with pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. It was not all that good ... a bit bland. Now I can really get after it and make something truly delicious. (Will mostly eschew beef muscle meats, since they are remarkably bland to start with.)

drezy likes this.
  16. Dennis Clark

By the way, a puzzle that I have not yet solved is sourcing good pork. I understand pastured beef, etc. I just don't know what the equivalent would be for pork.

drezy likes this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

oooooh.

Another grinder here, great!

That is a tool that opens you up to lots of possibilities. That cabbage pork (bulk) sausage is always a hit at my house. The steamed cabbage breaks dow quick and becomes sweet when mixed into the pork farce. It does make a little mess in the pan due to the natural sugars, but it's worth it as far as my 3-head tribe is concerned.

Don't miss this goodie:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...me-via-sulfur-and-nitrogen.23156/#post-264137

You and I are set up to mix liver in small amount into our dishes.

I keep thinking about partial liver (maybe 5%) meatballs with embedded parmesan (methionine) sunk into a strong puttanesca sauce.

Phosphene and JanSz like this.
  18. Dennis Clark

Fortunately, @drezy, I like liver. And onions. And all cole crops. (Finally discovered the luxury of Brussels sprouts sauteed in bacon fat, with garlic!) We have a good source of pastured beef liver locally, so that will be nice. For now, I just ordered the sausage book that you referred to earlier (Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curingby Rytek Kutas).

I assume that book will recommend the right spices. Meanwhile, can you expand on the ingredients in your Betty Crocker Elemental Table of spices that your pic showed a while back?

I do have a another, more personal puzzle to solve regarding the link you provided to Jack's commentary on sulfate, gasotransmitters, hydrogen, etc. Right after I posted my first journal entry in 2015, Yei Wei Tan responded at https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/dennis-clark-live.14228/ with a comment about hydrogen. (Specifically, he said, "Need to think about gut health implications without a colon :confused:. There is going to be a lack of H2 gas production (made in the colon), and transit time will affect the sorts of light release in the small intestine, but I'm not sure yet :rolleyes:") Since I don't have a colon, I am likely not getting the full liter of hydrogen gas from my microbiome. Or maybe none at all. I haven't yet discovered how to biohack this issue. Somehow I thought of rotten eggs (Jack mentioned the importance of H2S, although if I recall correctly this gas is toxic above 400 ppm); maybe even some durian fruit (tastes great, stinks to high heaven like rotten eggs). I am not smart enough to distinguish all the marketing hype about getting hydrogen into my body, versus anything that is well researched. Anyway, sooner or later I will figure this one out. Then I will really be gassed.

Now...back to the old grind (pretty bad, huh?)

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  19. drezy

drezy Gold

That is a good book. Out of my 4 sausage boys hat is the one I consult first every time and it has technique notes too.

Ahh, my Betty Crocker spice rack?
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/deuterium-in-foods.20423/page-24#post-231806

Here is a revised pic with labels:
    IMG_4430 copy-2.jpg

What are we talking about being removed? Descending colon, ascending , transverse , sigmoid ?

Phosphene likes this.
  20. Dennis Clark

Put your medico-talk hat on: My surgery was due to long-term ulcerative colitis (20+ years). The final solution was to remove it, leading to a procedure called ileo-anal anastomosis (aka, J-pouch surgery: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/j-pouch-surgery/about/pac-20385069). The surgery removed my entire colon, plus rectum. I now have a "J-pouch" - so-called because of the shape of the end of my small intestine, now connected directly to the anus, to form an internal ostomy "bag" of sorts. My fellow J-pouchers and I are in such a special group that we have our own forum: https://www.j-pouch.org/. It is mediated by a nurse, so the information is pretty mainstream ... i.e., not all that useful. No information on long-term consequences. No surprise there. With perfect hindsight (a redundancy, I know), I have no doubt that I could have solved my colitis and prevented the surgery had I known what I know now. The whole episode contributed to, among other things, me discovering the Jack Kruse site in 2015. My search for real biological health solutions continues.