1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Billybats

Billybats New Member

2. drezy

drezy Gold

@Billybats
    You inspired me to go get some beef heart. It's ridiculously cheap at $1.97/lb for me. It's time to master this cut of meat.

I'm going to have my son do most of the work. His 14 yo heteroplasmy can take it so I'm not going to argue that he wants to make beef heart tacos. One taco bowl for me then. We're going to thin slice it and hit it with a Peruvian style marinade first.

I'll let you know how the turn out tomorrow.

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

4. drezy

drezy Gold

Christine_L likes this.
  5. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

Not quite there, thanks to testing. All the south facing glass is a problem due to direct line of sight to a mountain peak with telcom towers 9 miles away (including one anomaly ~16MHz pulse, likely military). About to get a 65'x5' roll of shielding tint installed, and then Y-shield paint for everything surrounding the windows.

drezy likes this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Thin sliced beef heart in the pan:
    beefheart.jpg

With a little Mexican seasoning on it it tastes like good old beef. In thin slices it reminded me of minute steaks.

Phosphene, Christine_L and caroline like this.
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

nice..... gotta do this.

Dan - have you made liverwurst? I love liverwurst!

Christine_L likes this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

I have made liverwurst.

It tasted good and I used heart in it. I have not fully mastered the warm water bath at the last step though so it was a little more firm than I would have liked.

9. Corey Nelson

Corey Nelson CoreyNelson.io

Are you raising your own meat or buying it local or what?

One of my longer-term goals is to get into permaculture homesteading, but with more of a focus to directing the "surplus energy" to meat production, which means pigs and other animals getting fat on summer and fall fruits, etc.

Actually perma principles do work well with seasonal and local eating as a concept, but I plan to focus more on medicinal herbs and meats and fruits and vegetables secondary to that. So it will be a bit more epi-paleo/keto focused.

Hmm, I wonder if there's any benefit to be had growing oysters in a pond...

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

In reverse order
    If it could be done I suspect that much of the benefit might be lost if the environment is too artificial. I try to simplify my thinking down to the basics of food being electrons with light/environmental signaling encoded. That said oyster farming is cool and would get you in the water for large amounts of time...

Reminds me of my sweet sweet nectarine, peach, and fig trees... I need to boost my gardening game for sure. I'm hoping to eventually extract my wife from the corporate world and get her focused on a huge garden plan. She'd do well with that as part of her focus.

I'm going with a smaller percentage local and more from the grocery store currently.

Raising pigs sounds fun. I'm pretty hands on and DIY so If I did it, I'd likely be doing the judge, jury, and butcher work...

If you go that route I recommend you check out Jan's slonina and observations on Polish pig fat thickness vs US.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...xperiment-interested.19445/page-2#post-215681[/quote][/quote]

Corey Nelson likes this.
  11. Corey Nelson

Corey Nelson CoreyNelson.io

There's a free permaculture course online from Will Hooker of NC State (you can find the archive if you search those terms). If you only get one book on home scale permaculture "Gaia's Garden" is really good. It's one of the books you'd buy if you took that course.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    drezy likes this.
  12. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

I've got marinade envy! I really like the beef heart taco idea! How long do you soak the meat before cooking? We bought pre-marinated korean bbq sliced ribeye this weekend from the korean grocer... that was delicious. Do you use any particular source for the organ meat besides regular grocery store? I like to get grass fed/pastured as much as possible.

We bought little chicken hearts for the dog's breakfast. He's been eating them up before they even cool down enough. What a beast!

[​IMG]

drezy likes this.
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

Doggy knows what's good.

The local farmers & farmer's market folks might not be able to sell much heart meat so it might be cheap.

At $1.97/lb conventionally, even at double it would still be pretty cheap. We found it was very filling.

It cooks really fast. Like 2 min + 1 minute on each side respectively.

Yeah it would also go good Korean style as far as I can tell. I only marinated for 1 hour. I think 4 hours or overnight would have worked out even better.

14. drezy

drezy Gold

256.jpg

ap_ap-photo817-e1521568972324.jpg

I don't see a fucking difference.

15. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm getting a nice UV index 7 Sunday.\

It helps me with sorting out and creating reality.

Christine_L likes this.
  16. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Suns out guns out!:D UV 3 here!

drezy likes this.
  17. Billybats

Billybats New Member

I see you have been eating the hearts. Glad to help.

I have a seaweed question. This action/compound in brown seaweed ( Sodium alginate). Anyone eat this type of seaweed.

18. drezy

drezy Gold

My seaweed game is still weak.

19. drezy

drezy Gold

I really suck at detaching myself from other people's decisions and attitudes especially when they are close to me and initially expressed buy-in. I suppose that with enough discomfort even I can learn though.

LieselK, Phosphene and recoen like this.
  20. recoen

recoen Gold

@drezy that becomes harder the closer they are. I am experiencing the same kind of thing as well.

Phosphene and drezy like this.