1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. lmao one of my favorite music videos of all time

drezy likes this.
  2. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Yes. He mentioned it twice. I also sent him the webinar on mitochondria. Very down to earth they are (no pun intended lol).

Christine_L likes this.
  3. thats amazing! you're in NJ right?

4. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Yes. We have two Farther Jacks. My boyfriend and I have nick names for each. The one that brings up the mitochondria we call him wacky Jack and Beach boy Jack because he looks like one of them as for the wacky part he speaks his mind (some entertaining masses and funny). The other one we call him happy Jack because he is always smiling.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Christine_L likes this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

@Sampath
    Sorry for crashing your "Ask Jack" I'm in bright light on red screen mode

Upon request I will remove my posts from your thread there.

@JanSz and I are sometimes like your friend's dogs and that you for sure need immediate and oddly close contact.

My business partner has one such dog. She'll stand right up under my "junk" until she's yelled at. The yelling/rule last for about 30 seconds until she's right back where she started. I suppose she thinks she's doing me some favor or otherwise being magnanimous so I laugh it off.

Sampath likes this.
  6. Sampath

Sampath Gold

I look at it this way. It’s a health forum. You have knowledge and are willing to share it. I benefit. Period.

Phosphene, Christine_L and drezy like this.
  7. drezy

drezy Gold

@JanSz and @Sampath
    in response to :
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/one-sure-fix-for-diabetes.22964/page-2#post-261262

I'll bring my noise over to my Journal to respond.

What I say:

If corn is growing right now in your environment then go ahead and eat it as long as you are getting a large amount of solar exposure and your nnemf (as measured) is low.

What I do:

On the other hand what I've been doing is sitting in my yard naked as a jaybird basking in 4.5 UV sun both yesterday and today. I ate bluepoint oysters (that made me miss gulf oysters) and fatty pork meatballs in puttanesca on those days respectively.

Phosphene and Sampath like this.
  8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

OK,
    it is about
    nixtamalization
    There was something good in it for a Black Swan mitochondriac and I am trying to figure it out.

upload_2019-1-24_16-23-49.png

9. drezy

drezy Gold

Thanks for the scrabble game winning word "nixtamalization" @JanSz. If I ever play for money and that wins me some I'll split it with you.

When it comes to eating maize that is "soaked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater washed, and ten hulled" or some Korean Gochujang smeared pork belly with some diced green onions on top the decision is easy for me.

Sean Waters likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

Just for proof check this out. This pile(including redneck signaling camo hat) has been right there on top of my cold tub since 10 AM. FWIW I still think that shirt is awesome
    IMG_5169 copy.jpg

Phosphene likes this.
  11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I this one any good?

upload_2019-1-24_17-55-34.png

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

That's the brand I'll use for gochujang sauce.

I don't use it all the time.

I tend to cycle my pork belly in between:
    turmeric + garlic
    smoked paprika + sugar + salt
    Hoisin sauce
    Gochujang sauce

You know, I have a theory that if you jus put all those yummy vegetarian culture spices on pork belly you'd be pretty set!

Phosphene and recoen like this.
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

Simple rules, emergent systems:

Phosphene likes this.
  14. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Europeans didn't add lime to their corn/maize foods (because we killed off all the native people who knew how to do it properly), and consequently, later on, all the really poor people in the South who were on a corn-based diet started getting pellagra, which is niacin deficiency. During the Jim Crow era, it was thought that pellagra was a black person's disease, and probably contagious. A doctor started studying it, and noticed that it was sociological. He induced it in white prisoners by putting them on a strictly corn-based diet, thus proving that it was dietary deficiency, and not contagious or race-based.

drezy likes this.
  15. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Traditional preparation of native foods, if it had been learned from the native people, would have saved everyone some sickness and death.

https://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/03/wisdom-from-the-past-nixtamalization-of-corn.html

Phosphene likes this.
  16. drezy

drezy Gold

Doc Goldberger went even further when nobody believed him:

"He conducted one final experiment, referred to as "filth parties", to silence the critics. In 1916 he injected 16 volunteers—including himself, his wife, and his assistant—with pellagric blood over seven trials."

Whoa! That's skin in the game and a bit STFU to critics if ever I saw one!

Phosphene and Foxglove like this.
  17. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Yikes, I didn’t know that! But cmon, his wife?! Lol. I guess that’s your signal of certainty in patriarchal times. Don’t believe me yet? I’ll even risk my wife!

18. drezy

drezy Gold

There is a book about his work and their family.

"The daughter of a prominent New Orleans attorney, Mary was the great-grandniece of Confederate president Jefferson Davis as well as the great-granddaughter of Mississippi governor B. G. Humphreys. Mary was intelligent, idealistic, and extremely committed to her husband’s scientific work, and her Mississippi ties facilitated her husband’s work in the state. "

https://mississippiencyclopedia.org/entries/joseph-goldberger/

They also had an inter-faith marriage and 4 "rambunctious" kids, which must have been interesting way back then.

I'd be willing to bet that she was a determined lady that you just did not want to side against.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Foxglove likes this.
  19. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

You’re right, I should give her more credit. That is very interesting.

I think disease history is very educational. I read a book called Intolerant Bodies: A History of Autoimmunity which is part of a series called Johns Hopkins’ Biographies of Disease. Most people don’t think of diseases having a beginning, but they do. I was especially taken aback by the abrupt appearance and then spread of Type I diabetes. This was all in the late 1800s. It explained that once germ theory finally caught on, everyone started looking for the germ that caused each illness: lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. It took a lot of clever experiments to convince people that the immune system could cause a disease, rather than just fight one.

I wrote down this excerpt from “An Epidemic of Absence” by Moises Velasquez-Manoff. (Pardon this monster post on your journal. I geek out over this.)

THE FIRST IMMUNE MALFUNCTION: HAY FEVER

In March 1819, a physician named John Bostock presented a case report - his own, it turned out - to the Medical and Chirurgical Society of London. He described a "periodical affection of the eyes and chest" that began in mid-June each year. He thought the sun caused the malady. But Bostock was describing hay fever.

The affliction was new in Britain, and apparently quite rare. In 1828, Bostock described another 28 cases of "catarrhus aestivus," or summer mucus discharge. "One of the most remarkable circumstances respecting this complaint is it's not having been noticed as a specific affection, until within the last ten or twelve years," he wrote. More impressively, it appeared only among the upper classes. "I have not heard of a single unequivocal case occurring among the poor," he observed.

Almost 50 years later, the Manchester physician Charles Blackley, himself a hay fever sufferer, inhaled a collection of pollens, and correctly concluded that pollen, not sun or heat, caused the ailment. He made several other telling observations: Hay fever had been less frequent even 30 years prior, and mostly unknown in earlier times; whereas it was once a disease of nobility, now it afflicted the educated class as well; and somehow farmers, who inhaled pollen on a regular basis, never developed the disease. "The persons who are most subjected to the actions of pollen belong to a class which furnishes the fewest cases of the disorder, namely, the farming class," he wrote.

Blackley offered two explanations: Either education made one more vulnerable to hay fever, or farmers' continual exposure to pollen protected against hay fever. If the latter explanation held true, he predicted that continued urbanization would greatly increase the prevalence of the disorder. How prescient he turned out to be.

By then, money and status had inserted themselves into the story. Precisely because of hay fever's consistent association with affluence, it became, like gout (a well-fed, rich man's affliction) and consumption (the sensitive romantic's ailment) before it, fashionable. For the London physician Morrell Mackenzie, the English "proclivity to hay fever" was "proof of our superiority to other races." He noted its preference for higher classes as evidence of that eminence. "One of the most singular features of this complaint is, that it is almost exclusively defined to persons of some education, and generally to those of fair social position," he wrote.

Not so fast. In 1911, the American physician and nose-dripper William Hard countered that hay fever was now an "American specialty... the English compete with us no longer."

"In no other country is the Hay Fever travel toward certain regions so thick that railways serving those regions might well enter Hay Fever with the Interstate Commerce Commission as the basis for part of their capitalization," he bragged. "In no other country does Hay Fever give so much employment or cause so much prosperity. It has come to deserve to be a plank in the national platform of the Republican Party."

He was referring to what had become a lucrative business in the U.S.: retreats for the gilded class during hay fever season. They sprang up in New Hampshire's White Mountains, New York's Adirondacks, and along the shores of the Great Lakes. By the sounds of it, everyone who was anyone clamored for admission to this sneezing elite.

"Only individuals of the highest intellectual grasp, and the strongest moral fibre have the disease," said a resorter named George Scott. "If it were not for the hay fever, I might have lived all my life among those who are not classed among the intellectual giants of America." For some, the disease typified everything that has gone wrong in the newly mechanized civilization. "Contemporary civilization alone had produced the peculiar combination of causative agents so deleterious to nerve force," wrote the American physician George Beard, who suffered from hay fever.

The apparent absence of hay fever among African Americans was claimed as another period of the superiority of the white race in the U.S. Its nonexistence in Africa and Asia showed the eminence of the English colonizers. (Only they got it abroad.) and the apparent absence of hay fever in Scandinavia, France, Italy, Spain, and Russia indicated the primacy of the English race even among Europeans. "The fact of exemption from hay fever of savages and practically all of the working classes in civilised countries, as well as other considerations, suggests that we must look upon hay fever as one of the consequences of higher civilisation," wrote one physician working in Britain.

The science behind these observations was certainly not very rigorous. And given the status attached the having hay fever, the epidemiology must be taken with several grains of salt. And yet the pattern described is suggestively specific. The UK and the U.S., the two nations that first noted the curious affliction, were also among the first nations to urbanize and industrialize. They were the first to experience the disaster of the modern city, and among the first to institute major sanitary reforms. They had the first populations - the newly moneyed merchant and professional classes - with both the desire and the means to clean up. Scandinavia, Spain, Italy, Russia, and to a lesser degree France, on the other hand, remained largely agrarian countries with a mostly rural populace until later.

Something without biological precedent had occurred in these populations: the removal, perhaps for the first time in human evolution, of certain microbes and parasites from the human organism. Our bodies would never work quite the same way again.

Phosphene, drezy and recoen like this.
  20. "Only individuals of the highest intellectual grasp, and the strongest moral fibre have the disease," said a resorter named George Scott. "If it were not for the hay fever, I might have lived all my life among those who are not classed among the intellectual giants of America."

I feel the same way about this forum and its members. If not for my mitochondrial unease, i might have spent my life interacting with less optimal intellects and moral fibres!