1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

do you have a smoke house Dan? My Dad built himself one and made and smoked his own sausage. They were unbelievably delicious. I was too disinterested [aka young and stupid and self-centred probably] to pay attention at the time but I still remember all the poles of sausage going into the smoke house and the unbeleivable smells emanating.

wonderful memories ....and that is what you are creating with your son.

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

I use my dad's and yep, it smells great.

For the tremendous amount of flavor smoke is a cheap ingredient.

Phosphene and caroline like this.
  3. drezy

drezy Gold

Anybody else studying electron spintronics?

I'm pretty sure that this is required viewing:

Christine_L, caroline and Phosphene like this.
  4. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Sounds perfect!

drezy likes this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

This song reminds me of the one and only aerobics class I took in college. Somehow I still like the song. If pop has an element of weird, I can deal with it. Impossible to not start spinning along to this one, though I was reminded that my balance ain’t what it used to be. :rolleyes:

drezy likes this.
  7. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I have a well loved 23 year old Kitchen Aid mixer from my maternal grandmother. Actually have the sausage making attachment as well, unused of course. (Shocker.)

You may have inspired me to explore this with my dudes over the holidays. About time that thing gets used for something without flour.

caroline and drezy like this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

Stuffing the sausage is a favorite pastime of mine.

I would encourage anyone new to make a bulk (non-cased) breakfast sausage. Correctly making more technical sausages comes with a metal reward (dopamine hit?), but the first time I made an excellent breakfast patty from scratch is still the most fun I've had.

Let me know if you'd like a recipe.

Also if you get hooked and have a kitchen-aid I cannot recommend this enough:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLWIA3I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is pricey but it is 100% stainless steel and such a breeze to clean.

If you move on to casings keep in mind that any kitchen-aid attachment can push about 3lbs before heat starts to be an issue and you're just pushing liquid oils.

Phosphene likes this.
  9. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Now I remember why the attachment went unused—complicated! But surely worth it. Might start with a simple pate, which for some reason I haven’t made in ages. And the loose breakfast sausage sounds smart as well. Might as well start with a more manageable elephant, and I’d love your proven recipe. Thanks!

Oh, and what do eat this liverwurst with? Surely it needs to be spread on something besides another tongue?

drezy likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

This dude totally ripped this recipe off from a book I have:
    https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/maple-bacon-breakfast-sausage

If I had to start somewhere I do that first. Note that it's almost a little piggish b/c it has maple syrup in the sausage. You can exclude it, but if you're looking for a big morale boost on the first try this is a slam dunk.

Over time your tastes adjust. A less sweet version of something like this with ground in cabbage is now the favorite breakfast sausage around my house.

I don't spread it on anything. Way back in my "leaky-gut" discovery days I got fixed on having basic foods with less working parts. I still stick with that now, but for different reasons. Both my parents and my wife's would tell you that breakfast has to be eggs, bacon, toast, and jelly. If you are working on a crappy gut there is zero chance you'll ever sort out your trouble food with that blast.

Phosphene likes this.
  11. Butters

Butters New Member

Thats a nice Wurst drezy!

drezy likes this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

Thanks! That's good to hear coming from a certified Deutschlander.

13. drezy

drezy Gold

Good luck out there ladies. The following video is both sad and funny at times much like a human life. It involves sex, women, and implicitly it involves aging. There are no visuals so no need to watch. It's just good listening. It gets difficult to listen to this kind of stuff with our learnings. Hopefully I'm not the only one listening and shouting "C'mon! Aim the cooch at the sun!"

I'll personally vouch that it's worth listening through for the car repair story at the end.

WalterNL, Phosphene and recoen like this.
  14. drezy

drezy Gold

I've been outed as a cold tubber by describing my weekend trip to gulf swimming at 62ºF as nice and easy. Having brought my family along with me I rarely bother talking about all this much in public unless asked. Then I'll drop a nugget. The lady that sells me an occasional cup of coffee wasn't happy with just one nugget and wants to hear more.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a starter podcast that Doc has done? Video is preferable but not required.

@JanSz @caroline @Phosphene @recoen @Inna @Jenelle and anyone else?

I admit that many of you have lofty goals of trying to bring many others along. I admire that, but I more and more like the idea of saving the world one me at a time and my work there is well on it's way. The coffee gal has a fresh baby and my stony heart hasn't completely sealed itself off from caring about babies, but I'm working on sealing up that weakness any day now. Let's face it babies are just a 16 year fuse on more traffic.

15. recoen

recoen Gold

The podcast he just did on “what women must know” titled “everything you know about health and healing is wrong with Dr. Jack Kruse” is probably a good place to start!

I seem to be falling into the camp of saving myself first and hopefully being an example to others for them to become interested without forcing it too. Which is interesting because in my ethics class in college we discussed ship, shipmate, self a lot. Basically you should give your life vest to someone else. But I believe now you should put the life vest on then use it to help save others. Because hopefully you are a sane person who will not go quietly into the night and will not lose it when the $ hits the fan. Dr. Jordan Peterson discusses how you have to fix yourself first before having the moral right to “fix” others.

16. The Self-Hacked Podcast is one of my favourites.......

He obviously did a load of reading on Jack before the podcast and thought he had it all figured out and was trying to finish Jack's sentences with what he thought he was going to say - but again and again and again the guy just keeps walking into traps and getting it wrong.

Nothing against the Self Hacked guy - He clearly cares about the truth, and about helping himself and others - It actually reminded me a lot of my own journey, and how many times I thought I knew it all and had it down with such confidence - and then the Black Swan Event would smite me from my false throne of knowledge. This podcast is the Dunning-Kruger at it's finest.

Newbies need to see that - they need to see the shear size of the void between what they think they know - and what they actually know.

The whole podcast is basically Jack teaching that "you can't bio-hack nature"..........

17. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I know in the first few pages of my journal, I shared YouTube videos as I came across them. There are some great ones there, for sure. I know I was all filled up on sunshine & shared my enthusiastic feelings about them openly here.

18. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I second the suggestions so far. There are so many podcasts I hardly remember which I preferred more than others. I’m still a bit flummoxed myself when trying to succinctly introduce folks to these concepts.

I liked the recent woman-focused podcast, though it seemed like just as he was getting warmed up she had to cut it off for her hour time limit. Maybe it’s enough for a newbie but maybe not??

I like @Inna ’s simple patient handout here too:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/my-patients-handout.21757/

Though I did see one possible change needed. Should this say 3-4 hours before bedtime? I know ideally bedtime should be at sunset, but...

“Last meal of the day should be at least 3-4 hours before sunset to preserve circadian rhythms”

I thought @Scompy ’s blog with the quiz was quite useful too. Does it need any updates?

https://jackkruse.com/reality-5-scompys-quantum-quiz-mito-hacking-life/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    recoen, Sean Waters and drezy like this.
  19. drezy

drezy Gold

Take it from me...What happens when you think you know what will come out of Doc's mouth next:

Sean Waters likes this.
  20. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Yeah, I agree... I could redo my game of the Quantum Quiz for updates. But bigger things are coming also. Stay tuned :)

Phosphene and drezy like this.