1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

After 9 months

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by drezy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. drezy

drezy New Member

I've been working on a project with my son. Along trying to teach him to be a good man and evaluate his own meaning of "the good life" I very much wanted to impress upon him the the importance of being an autodidact as well as the ability to take an idea that you can sketch on paper and proceed to manipulate reality until the idea is reality. Ideation to creation is a fascinating little realm in between abstract and concrete.

The process of working with my boy took on it's own life and I decided to push more and more of the responsibilities over to his side, not to speed up the project (cuz it didn't) but to immerse him more in the process.

I woke up on the first day of the 42nd year of my life, test drove my son's latest work and got the best present I will probably ever get, a working UV-A spectrometer with working software to boot:

uvsw.png

How does it correlate to an expensive NIST calibrated unit?
    uvmeasure.jpeg

Looks pretty good to me. (Note the "μ" needed to be a "m" based on some of the math changes).

This works for 365nm and 330nm will be easy to add with minor software changes since the hardware supports it. Next we are shipping a crude alpha unit and software to a member here who has a specific health interest/challenge in gauging his UVA/UVB tolerance.

@Lahelada & @WalterNL you've asked in the past about this so I'm tagging you in.

2. Wow! Happy birthday and a humongous high five to your son!

Phosphene likes this.
  3. drezy

drezy New Member

Thanks, I'm not fishing for "happy birthday" greetings. My own birthday has even slipped by me 3 times in my life.

Thanks for the high five to my son. I'll pass it on.

Some of our delay is due to the fact that we want the bare minimum outside of our control. We literally want hands on each stage. As much as we are designing a potential product we are designing a potential (manufacturing) process as well.

This is an extremely joyful and creative process to share with my son.

Phosphene and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  4. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Happy Birthday anyway, @drezy. ;) This sounds like amazing stuff you are doing with your son. Congrats.

5. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Great progress!
    Happy birthday, here's to many more sunrises.

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Yes, yes
    happy more sunrises to both of you.

drezy likes this.
  7. drezy

drezy New Member

We just got another reason to be grateful. My son is enrolled in an experimental 'Outdoor Education" elective. The class focuses on fishing, knot tying, boating, bow and arrow use, compass use, mapping skills, and other skills.

The best part is that I know the teacher hates being inside so my son will be outdoors for 1.5 hours every day.

I think my solar cooker/pasteurization unit will get some use by the kids.

8. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I’d still like the deets on the solar cooker, if it’s worth the effort at lat 40. Is google my friend?

My sons had Survival as a high school elective. Of course I asked if they learned anything they didn’t already know and the reply was, not really. I guess that’s good.

9. drezy

drezy New Member

The latitude would not be as much of an issue as clouds. If you get lots of clouds then your cooking time will double or your food may not get cooked at all.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a nice softball class once in a while. One class a semester where keeping up is easy is like a morale booster.

Phosphene likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy New Member

Phosphene likes this.
  11. Inna

Inna Platinum

Drezy, Happy Birthday!

12. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

@drezy Since when did we ever ask on this forum if someone wanted to or not, where anything to do with fish was concerned ?? :D
    Belatedly Happy birthday !!
    High fives from me to your son ,too. He did an amazing job with this.

drezy likes this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Belated Happy Birthday Dan ......I just know that you had a great one! sending you a big Koala bear hug

14. drezy

drezy New Member

I finally caught a shot of this hummingbird. It visits my hanging peppers twice a day at least and is very vocal about something:

hbird.jpg

15. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

16. drezy

drezy New Member

It's going to have to stay pissed.

I'm keeping non-interventionist aside from sowing 1-2 acres with wildflowers every other year. Come to think of it, would sugar cane be a mismatch for the little things? I think so.

17. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Birds are in the sun every waking hour right? They can eat shit on a shingle.

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  18. drezy

drezy New Member

Good point, when it showed up the 3rd time I told it to go run off of it's cytochrome 4.

Phosphene and WalterNL like this.
  19. karliin brooks

karliin brooks New Member

HI Jansz, wondering if you recommend the breathy, or is there a better Deuterium test to be had?

20. drezy

drezy New Member

QT 19 is out and very much applies to those in my mitochondrial line and explains the reasons for who failed and who didn't.

It's like having a great new chapter in an owner's manual for my own personal biology.

Jenelle likes this.