1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Adverse reactions to high n3 from fish

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Benjamin Stone, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Benjamin Stone

Benjamin Stone New Member

Howdy folks,
    '
    So about a year ago I try mono-eating oily salmon (Alaskan Copper River King and Sockeye - the fattiest) for one week. Tasted good, but noticed the following 2-3 weeks I was bruising over my entire body and turning purple from just the kids bumping into me - no bueno!

Cut the fish out entirely, back to meat only, and went to seafood 2-3x per week. In last week I upped same fatty fish (Copper River) to 1 meal a day (of 2 meals) - roughly .75lbs fish. I now see some less severe symptoms (gums bleed on flossing, etc) - this also includes salmon roe, again very high in n3.

So what gives? I'd like to eat high n3 seafood daily - am I just pushing it beyond my n=1 genetic tolerance for such fare? Must I limit myself to lower n3/DHA seafood?

2. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Any chance you have a bit of scurvy from lack of vitamin C?

Lahelada likes this.
  3. Benjamin Stone

Don't think so, I am feeling quite amazing in every other way following best principles here with carnivore diet for 3 years now. Just bummed to know if I was stranded in Alaska I could not survive on salmon alone it seems! Maybe someone else knows what is awry...

4. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I think I would err on the side of cation and swing by a doc. DHA is a blood thinner but I am surprised that it should be to this extent. It might be a lack of vitamins as 3 years of carnivore is a long time. Vitamin C or K may be playing a role but not having light cues in food may also have caused imbalances.I would get some labs with regards to vitamins.blood clotting drawn.

Phosphene likes this.
  5. Benjamin Stone

Thanks. I'm thinking I'm just more sensitive to the thinning effects of DHA. My labs are done every 6 months and are fine. I'm also sure to source salmon that does not have any solvents used to descale etc. It is as it should be.