1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Adrenal Fatigue? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by MeghanK, Apr 12, 2013.

1. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Cortisol
    13.5 8:45am (7.0-10.0)
    4.5 1:45pm (3.0-6.0)
    3.8 6:15pm (2.0-4.0)
    3.5 8:45 pm (<1.5)
    DHEA Saliva 246.4 8:45am (57-615)

GABA uMol/gCR 4.8 (2.4-12.7)
    Taurine <40.0 (52-1025)
    Glycine 198.5 (182-2225)
    Creatinine 38.6mg/dl (28-259)

These are from January... how long does it take to turn this around? How often should one test?

Thanks!

2. Vicster

Vicster New Member

Meghan, for everyone it is different, but as a former marathoner and triathlete I know for a fact you can't have it both ways. With the way you are training you will not get rid of adrenal fatigue. It was hard for me to give up the training and especially the competition, but it was becoming a struggle. It has taken me over a year to start feeling better and rested and I would not trade that for another chance to race. You have to decide what is more important to you, feeling good and having a long life or overtraining to a shorter life and a medal that will just collect dust in your home.

Giving up all the hours of training and racing has given me the chance to spend more quality time with family and friends, relaxing and enjoying life. It really is so much better!

3. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Vicster,
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience... it is SO HARD.... I am caught between the addiction to the competition and runners high and true health... I built my identity around being a coach and endurance athlete so its so challenging to let go... but my body is telling me I have too....
    What stage of adrenal fatigue were you in? What stage do these #s represent? not sure my dr. understands it... need to find a new dr....

4. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Would love to hear other endurance athlete junkies stories....
    I don't know how Barry does it.... I think he is truly an N=1

5. jenaf

jenaf Silver

hi Meghan,

I'm a strength coach and was training for the RKC when I fried my adrenal hormone axis... after 6 months of being frustrated with not knowing why i was so tired and super dizzy when ever i trained I finally had my hormones tested - everything was flatlined - I was in adrenal exhaustion, or stage 4 fatigue. I've been on the max dose of isocort withthe help of my naturopath since novemeber and slowly i've implemented a lot of these rx into my life. It hasn't been until the last 6 weeks when I shut off the breaker to my bedroom and the wifi at night as well as really been strict with epi-paleo/leptin rx (i can't do ANY sugar/carbs at all) that I've started to feel really good. I recently flew to europe and I had no jetlag because i ct'd/got electrons by standing in the ocean for 45 mins as soon as i got home. I drink 2-4 liters of spring water a day and wear my amber glasses at night. It has made such an amazing difference. for the first time this morning I went on a hour long hike and felt great, no dizziness or tiredness :)
    The lack of training has been very very frustrating, but the sooner you embrace it and focus on sleeping and eating right, no emf etc the sooner you'll feel better. I still have to implement CT more. My goal now is to do it everyday. I hear that it can really help as well but its something I'm working on implementing more habitually.
    I'm now going to train - lightly (20 mins hiit style) for a kettlebell course in july. I'll keep you up dated.

6. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Hey Jena,
    Thanks so much for sharing! I currently live with the parents.. I'm 31, I know it's sad... hoping to move out in about a month so turning the breaker and wifi off might freak them out... they already think I'm crazy... I definitely have to get the spring water.... I didn't realize my PUR filter wasn't doing anything.... keep me updated...
    P.S I LOVE kettlebells!

7. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I'm 29 :) Live with my mom, sister, and a brother who all don't care to try to eat Epi-Paleo or any of the other stuff. Its not easy for sure. I've been on a binge/eat well cycle for a few weeks now. My lowest weight was 239, but I've never had a ton of energy. I obviously have multiple problems to sort out and its certainly not easy in this environment.

There is no way I could support myself with a job at Walgreens paying 10.23 an hour though. I could perhaps if I worked another job, but moving out and eating better while doing more work seems like it would be a negative.

Have you read The Iodine Crisis, Iodine by David Brownstein and/or Stop The Thyroid Madness yet? All deal with the Thyroid/Adrenals and more. I've read the last two and they were great and am currently in the process of reading The Iodine Crisis which has the forward written by Brownstein. From what I've heard and with that endorsement by Brownstein I'm sure its great. Stopthethyroidmadness.com has a wealth of information for anyone that may not want to buy the book at this moment. They discuss the temperature tests you can do to see if you have Thyroid/Adrenal issues and many other important things. Very good information.

Also if you haven't already looked at all the information on Grizz's Iodine references you should check it out.

http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Included is a wealth of information on Iodine supplementation including details on possible detox or negative reactions, co-supplements, why it may be important to supplement etc...You probably have read some of that since I noticed you commented in that thread...just not sure to what extent and someone that may not have might stumble on this thread so I figured I'd include it.

If you get plenty of Iodine along with the required co-supplements which are all found in the Epi-Paleo diet it should help your body heal the Thyroid/Adrenal issues and deal with the issue of water that isn't ideal if you can't drink good water all the time for some reason.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I think several of those nutrients you linked to are great in bone/meat broths. You might check out bone broth recipes and articles.

http://www.lovingourguts.com/the-difference-between-bone-broth-and-meat-broth-or-stock/

http://www.lovingourguts.com/gaps-basics-meat-broth-and-gaps-pate/

They are supposed to be great for the gut as well. Really good in general. They do mention those with a comprised gut may want to start on meat broth rather than bone if I remember right in one of those two.

9. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Hi Raiken,
    Thank you! Yes.... I read Stop the Thyroid Madness and that is why I'm on NatureThyroid and working out the dosage....
    Will look at the Iodine Crisis too.... I was hoping just taking the 12.5mcg and my diet would be enough Iodine? Grizz needs to get back on here....

10. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I think whether its enough would depend on how much toxin exposure you have. If its in your budget perhaps you could get an Iodine loading test done now and than 3-6 months later. That will show you where you are not which is most likely deficient and you can see how its going with the diet + supplementation down the road.

http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/loadTest.htm

This page shows the different places you can get one. I think they might all require a doctor though..I'm not sure if any of them allow you to get one without a doctor.

You could rely on your symptoms though. If you feel really healthy and full of energy than that would be a sign you are sufficient. I'm not feeling really health and full of energy yet so I know for sure I have a long way to go with various things.

In case you haven't checked yet and don't have a good doctor you might find one on this list.

http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/

Though I guess if you said you are on NatureThyroid that requires a doctor so I guess you have a good one already...not sure why I didn't notice that part...lol

I guess thats a good thing than. If they are willing to put you on dessicated Thyroid maybe you could get them get an 24 hour Iodine Loading test. Doesn't sound like a fun thing to do collecting urine for a whole day, but would be good information to have.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  11. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

I have had one done..... in Feb or March forget exact date.... but it was 58 .... range 34-523 (which seems to me to be a HUGE range)... but not sure if that is still deficient even thought I'm in range....

12. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

That sounds like a one time value. There is a urine spot test which is a one time test and a 24 hour urine loading test which I would think is given with just one value considering its a test where they test urine samples over a 24 hour period which would be multiple ones.

I've never gotten one but it sounds like one you got was a single time urine spot which isn't the best way to determine sufficiency at least that's what David Brownstein was saying if I understood correctly.

If that is a normal urine spot test I've noticed in most tests with a wide range that a good level is usually somewhere in the middle though I'm not sure on this one. Brownstein may talk about this in the book...I'll see if I can find that.

The 24 hour urine loading test I linked to is supposed to get urine for a full 24 hours and I would think the result would mention how much of a percentage Iodine was excreted. That's what Dr. Brownstein says over and over is that the amount of Urine excreted with the 24 hour collection should end up being 90% of the dose of Iodoral that was taken. I think it was also mentioned in his book and perhaps STTM that you should stop Iodine for some amount of time before doing a test. I'm sure you did that with whatever test it is you got just pointing it out.

I think he details why a one time urine spot test isn't as good as a 24 hour, but I can't remember specifically why though it would make sense that its partly more data makes it clearer how deficient you are. Basically a one urine spot test isn't enough information to determine how deficient someone is. I'll reread it see if I can quote the important stuff.