1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

adjusting to keto/high fat

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by rlee314, Sep 19, 2014.

1. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

aloha all,
    my almost 4yo appears to be experiencing steatorrhea/fat malabsorption from increasing fats. stools have changed in consistency since increasing fats.
    does this indicate he needs digestive enzymes? too much too fast?

any thoughts, suggestions appreciated!

mahalo!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Could be lots of reasons.......adaption of microbiome is number one and the environment you're in is two......then there is the transgenerational issues.........As long as there is no malnutrition with the steatorrhea you should be fine in transition. If there are signs of it then see the doc.

3. BTA

BTA New Member

If it's ok to answer? If not - sorry. My personal n=1, I had trouble too. I found if I used enzymes to digest fats it made a huge difference. Lipase is the main enzyme to help breakdown fats. My personal experience I found a product made by the company "enzymedica" was the answer. The supplement is "Lypo Gold". Found in most health food stores or online.

Interesting to see on their website the main fuel for the heart is fat - yet Dr Dean Ornish said fats are evil. A cardiologist lol *face palm*

http://www.enzymedica.com/store/Lypo-Gold

Me ka `oia`i`o :D

4. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

thanks for your reply dr jack and BTA!
    i'm hoping it's a transition period. he does well w/avocado. i've recently really increased coconut fats-coconut oil and milk. also been doing lots of salmon-can't get him to eat oysters yet-though considering adding them to a smoothie?
    per my ND he's 'average' and growing well for his age. 34lbs and 39.5 inches.
    as far as environment--still trying to figure that one out....we do live in Hawai'i. so, warm and sunny. we do eat more carbs than what i see lots of other folks mention here--but, i assume that may be ok b/c of the warm sunny climate? his circadian rhythm is pretty good from what i can tell--goes to bed near sunset/7-730 and wakes up w/sunrise/6-7am. he just weaned from breastmilk. no exposure to blue light at night. i don't have an i-phone though we do have wireless at our home. we do CT in the ocean multiple times/week and grounding in the sand/beach/ocean multiple times/week. what else for environment??

i have digest gold. i'll check out lypo gold-thanks BTA!

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

please put a picture up in your avatar.

6. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

thanks to the lovely caroline for guiding me in how to post an avatar!

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

my pleasure!
    you are stunning!!! .....

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

rlee ... you are in Hawaii .... Lava is in Hawaii as well.

Please start a journal in the journal section ....Dr. Kruse needs context to be able to help you better...

Do you have Dr. K's book? The Epi-Paleo RX .....It is an easy way to get the first 2 years of the blog.

Do you listen to Dr. K's podcasts? same thing ...easy and quick way to get information!

Have you signed up for "the sexy younger you" webinars? .....there are still quite a few to go [free]

Keep asking questions ...there are no stupid questions!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  9. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

yes--living in hawai'i for the past several years. no lava on the island i'm on-maui.
    i'll start a journal.
    i do have the epi-paleo rx on kindle. love it.
    i have not listened to many podcasts-a few that he has done as a guest on someone elses blog. where would i find more?
    i have not signed up for those webinars--i would love to! link?
    i did listen to several of his optimal reset webinars this past spring.

thanks so much for your help, caroline!!
    aloha!

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

leave a review on amazon.........thanks for putting up a pic.

11. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

ok.
    just signed up for the sexy younger your series. looking forward to catching up!!

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi rlee - Good morning from Oz! You are a woman on a mission!

google podcasts on the home page. One JK did with Cydni O'Meara here in Oz was great!

Holler if you need help ....:)

if you can manage it ...become a "gold" member. You will then have access to all the webinars 24/7 and there is a live Q&A every month with Dr. K. where you can ask him anything.

13. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

14. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

gosh.
    so...reading dr kruse's comments in the circadian biohacking FB group...i am stumped again...or maybe not. https://www.facebook.com/groups/circadianbiohackers/permalink/711884955554840/
    so, yes, i live in Hawai'i where power here is supplied via diesel generators. that's a very bad thing.
    so...really hoping all the fish we eat-and i also supplement iodine-+ the CT and grounding we do in the ocean and sand and forest, +the avos and coconut and fermented foods + sunshine will help mitigate the awfulness of living on a sub optimal powered island...

15. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

so...just to update on the original topic of my thread. stools have improved for my boy. they're back to normal. have been a few days. i did end up giving enzymes once-and then forgot to continue. seems like it was what dr. kruse suggested and was an 'adaptation of microbiome' which is what i was hoping.

still need to figure out how best to feed him though. regretting that he weaned prematurely-sigh. i'm just confused how much fat, protein and carbs a 4year old needs. he doesn't like/won't eat chicken-so that's great. he will eat lamb and beef here and there but prefers fish-well, salmon and ono mostly. can't get him to eat an oyster or shrimp yet. he will eat avocados-which are in abundance here. and coconut-oil and milk. we don't do dairy except ghee very occasionally. he does like carbs though...

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Just saying "Hi" That is awesome that your son prefers seafood and will eat avocados!

If you let him eat what he wanted ....what would he choose?

Did you notice the recipe for paleo banana bread in the recipe section? I was just looking it up - going to make it for a picnic tomorrow. It is super easy and delicious toasted with slabs of butter....

17. rlee314

rlee314 Silver

if i let him choose he would eat avocado 'sushi' which is avo w/rice wrapped in seaweed. fruit-he loves berries, bananas, watermelon, grapes, citrus, mango, loquat, longan. he'll eat salmon, broccoli, green beans, hummus-chickpeas, peas, winter squash, curry...

thanks for the reminder to check out the recipe section!! banana bread sounds delicious!

is it morning for you, caroline? are we opposite time zones?

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nope ...it is 4:25pm ... Friday

sounds as if your son would pick a very healthy diet for himself ..... there was a lot of talk about that here a couple of years ago ... the kid would gravitate to what is best for him.......

If you ever see Lioness on the forum .... she has a boatload of wonderful kids! and had an extremely difficult time with her youngest son.

I am sure she still is on the forum and reading the blog ...pm her if you want .... she is an amazing woman.

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

I seem to remember one of the men also saying that his little girl would barely eat anything ...but if she could choose - she would eat boatloads of protein..... all most as much as him!

Would be a good "ask Jack" question ...would a kid gravitate to a good diet for themself - like their own n=1? totally unscripted and just make natural choices according to the seasons and what their body wanted?

I am pretty positive too that Fressia said the same thing about her kids ...when fruit was in season they would eat their fill ...and then be done with it. Really interesting .....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  20. kovita

kovita Gold

form my experience with my two children, I have to agree completely. There are certain foods my kids choose thorough the year, it is mainly meat, fish, butter and organ meats. They are not very keen to eat exotic fruits, but they go wild anytime there is something edible in the garden. They stuff themselves to that point, that for example in the currant season their poop may look like the bird poop, full of seeds. I am adding seaweed to some dish everyday and they absolutely love cruciferous vegetables and artichokes (now is the season here). I am teaching them to find the food in the nature, they love it and it is a great fun. Just last weekend we were in the countryside and the game was to find and bring as much wild food as possible. I have to say I felt very proud because even my 3 y old would easily survive a day on what he collected (early autumn is particularly rich for wild foods).