1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

AC Electricity in Ground and Grounding Yourself

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Jeremy Fox, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jeremy Fox

Jeremy Fox Gold

I am convinced that certain urban, suburban and even rural areas have AC electric current flowing through the ground. Is there a way to test for this to make sure a particular spot of earth is safe for earthing/grounding? I am willing to spend some money on new meters but haven't seen much on this topic.

Thanks, Jeremy

Alex97232, Lahelada and JanSz like this.
  2. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

As far as I can tell you need a fluke scope meter and a volt meter that is sensitive enough probly i n the 400$ range. Total EMF solutions has a bunch of vids on youtube doing this.

3. Jeremy Fox

Jeremy Fox Gold

Thanks!

Total EMF Solutions, who I think posts here, sometimes hides and unhides the relevant videos on YouTube. But they are the most helpful. Some of those Fluke scope meters are around $5000 and they might be overkill for me. I am using a $500 Fluke multimeter; a $60 multimeter from another brand did not work even though it has a microamps setting. A recent academic article on body amperage testing by retired physician epidemiologist Sam Milham is at

http://www.sammilham.com/gold standard paper taylor and francis.pdf

I do encourage people to test for body amperage outside. My new house's back patio can get up to 30 microamps if I am barefoot. 18 microamps gets thrown around, with limited evidence, as a number causing childhood leukemia. I am more or less not spending time in the backyard anymore because RF increased from a nearby business ramping up WiFi, there is body voltage and higher magnetic fields on the grasss, and there is this high body amperage on the patio. I am also much more concerned about the chloride in my swimming pool, based on a rat study, than Jack has been in the past.

4. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

There are companies that go to farms to eliminate stray ground voltage in order to stop the livestock from being killed by it.
    The problem occurs when the neutral wire returns to ground instead of going back to the transformer. It's a lazy and cheap way to wire a house...
    If you ask an electrician to deal with it just say you want to make sure everything "is up to code"
    Also, loose neutral wires in the breaker box make likewise problems.
    The last thing you want in your wiring is a neutral wire touching any grounding equipment like junction boxes or conduit

5. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

I have often thought that the NEC code requirement that the neutral to be bonded to the ground was a requirement added by the power companies to allow them to have a lousy outside wiring and utilize the ground to return the current to their transformers
    I have this problem in my house and I see 13% of my current being returned through the ground

6. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

That's what electricians call "stray current"
    Check to see if there is anything grounded to water pipes. Also, an easy fix is to install dielectric coupling on your [metal] water pipes. This will also keep away emf from your neighbors houses, they probably have grounded neutrals too.

amanda elmgren likes this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I have found out lousy grounding of my house when I was trying to install GFCI for my spa.
    My grounding was done with something similar to the one on left.
    The one on right did the job.
    upload_2019-9-11_8-44-7.png

Dave Key and MITpowered26 like this.
  8. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

The ground in my house is the incoming water supply pipe. It makes a good ground but unfortunately it is attached to everyone else’s house in the neighborhood. All the houses have the same problem that I have. I went out and measured them. To put a Diane electric union in the water supply line you have to go out in the yard and and dig a big hole and it still won’t solve your problem because all the pipes in the house are bonded to ground. In my case it means both the copper water pipes and the steel gas pipes and all the gas pipes are grounded at each appliance so there are lots of ground loops. The only solution I think is to not bind The neutral to the ground in the service panel but no Electrician will do that. And although I have done work in my service box before there is 3.5 A flowing into the ground circuit.

9. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

brookway17 and drezy like this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3.5 A
    upload_2019-9-12_8-31-32.png
    3.5*115*24*365/1000=3525.9 kWh
    8.92*3525.9/100=$314.51
    So, it cost you that much a year.

Cost of Spectracell Micronutrient test:

upload_2019-9-12_8-39-5.png

11. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

They do not meter your return wattage , so it is not a cost issue just an EMF issue

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

But they measure the incomming wattage.
    Your meter shows that much more when comparing to your neighbour's who have no voltage betwee neutal and ground.
    How your outlets with GFCI behave?
    They should be tripping?