1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

A little story about Infrared and CT

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by bionaut, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Melanie Procter

Melanie Procter New Member

Thanks Nonchalant, Yes, I was referring to the Mitochondria RX webinar. I typed up the webinar so I could read it a few times over. That is why I had mentioned I read it. But the redox blogs will be worth checking out. Did you have any ones in mind? Thanks so much for all your support. Really! You're a huge help to me.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

3. Melanie Procter

Thanks for this. Someday I will know the blogs as well as you and be of support to others. Until then, I am a bit of a pain in the ass newbie!

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh, not a pain at all, Melanie!
    The mitochondrial metabolic shift Jack mentioned... I think he is referring to the reversal of charge on the inner membrane.

Josh likes this.
  5. bionaut

bionaut New Member

Melanie as I was piecing this together I watched some youtube videos on cellular respiration and beta oxidation as a primer. I ran my labs and saw that my LDH is high. Just a little context for you I am a shift worker in a highly charged environment. So, my leptin sensitivity is poor, and I constantly need to rehydrate and replenish magnesium.
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/gettin-mah-labs-on.10223/

From EE12
    To avoid this catastrophic cycle, lactate dehydrogenase becomes epigenetically up-regulated at the expense of lactic acid acidosis. This metabolic shift becomes epigenetically enforced by histone deacteylation, as discussed briefly in EE8. It also turns out insulin resistance manifests as well, epigenetically, as discussed in EE 11. This occurs quickly to reduce mitochondrial turnover.

CPC 8
    Calcium activates TCA cycle dehydrogenases, which also means more NADH and less NAD+. The cell is making boatloads of NADH which leads to boatloads of ROS. The ROS made sits right next to mitochondrial DNA stores in cells. That ROS destroys the mitochondrial DNA that make your cytochrome proteins.

Essentially non native EMF is upregulated leading to a shutdown of a portion of my mitochondria, these little bugger simply spit out ROS. When I layed on an infrared mat I could not handle the proton load because of a lack of electrons. This is what the temperature spike signified. To answer your question, I was eating a high fat diet but was loosey goosey with my carbs... bad move for my context. Since then I have switched to a strict ketogenic diet to produce maximal NAD+, sleep on ice around my neck and have picked up bouldering out in nature and spending lots of outdoor time. Since I have made these changes I have seen some indicators from the Redox Rx improve. This is an epigenetic shift, so as up load up on electrons and remain hydrated I should be able to select for better mito and fix this issue, but it will be a bandaid until I fix my environment.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^^This is spot on.

7. PaulG

PaulG New Member

nice post

:p yep, can relate to that - very loosey goosey with my carbs - need to get a blood ketone meter and test whether I get into the PPP.

This morning I made a really tasty breakfast- Onions, bacon, mushroom, garlic, salami, baked beans (swap out and use tomatoes) and one egg,, chop and quick fry in butter.

8. bionaut

bionaut New Member

That sounds really good, I am going to try that this weekend. I have been using keto sticks and just watch my intake now. I can really ramp up into ketosis with coconut oil.

9. Melanie Procter

This is turning into a really great thread. I am following it all.

Mel

10. Melanie Procter

Scompy likes this.
  11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Neat pic, Melanie. I would guess the colors red, yellow, and blue.

12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

`
    Random Ketone Thoughts

I used to test for blood ketones very regularly for quite some time, mostly for a good 7 months while I was still in Melbourne. Also tested a few times since I've come to Cairns. (couple of posts spread out in my log on these forums)

Personally, I found my blood ketone levels to be a lagging indicator that I was doing well, instead of a leading indicator that I was getting better. I thus currently don't find them that useful. Typical ranges for me are 0.5-1.0mM, with higher readings at the end of the day, and usually waking up right around 0.5mM.

----

A more fundamental curiosity that I have now is the fact that the tissues that preferentially use ketones are the Heart and the Brain. The heart uses them more readily than the brain -- it seems like ketones are attracted to the systems that have the strongest magnetic field.

Beta-hydroxybutyrate -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Hydroxybutyric_acid . This has only 4 Carbon atoms, and 3 Oxygen atoms (one OH group and one COOH group).

BHB in particular is an isomer of hydroxybutyrate that seems to align all the O atoms to one side of the molecule. This should give this molecule a dipole moment, and being only 4 Carbons long should enable it to be more easily pulled along to various parts of the body -- http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov//compound/3541112?from=summary#section=3D-Conformer

download.png

Question: If what I said above is correct, then why create something that's only good at delivering nutrition to those tissues with the highest redox potential?

----

I subscribe to the idea that Jane Plain (from http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com) , who believes that elevated ketones are just a proxy for high rates of FFA oxidation.

I thus felt that you only get lots of ketones when either:
    • FFA oxidation exceeds usage capacity. This can be compensatory, for example, I always show serum BHB above 3.0mM after a hard bike ride.
    • Exogenous sources are used
    Then I thought about certain observations, both by hard-charging guys (lots of physical activity) like Peter Attia, and post-obese people (people who used to be fat, but have lost the weight) like Jane Plain. One of the common themes is a stabilisation of ketones in a narrow range (usually centred around 1.0mM).

That made me think that becoming efficient at "matching energy supply and demand" through FFA oxidation would eventually lead to no further need to produce lots of ketones.

Back to why would the body produce ketones. It costs energy to make ketones. If you're doing this, you must really want to deliver energy specifically to certain tissues.

----

Then my personal observation -- being in deep ketosis (as measured by BHB concentration in serum) didn't help any of the my collagen issues. It gave me great thinking capacity, but I had to plug other leaks to fix collagen issues.

Again, this fuels my suspicion that ketones themselves are bad at recovering the redox potential of tissues where redox is thrashed. They seem to be a system-wide non-specific energy re-fueler.

So what does "being in ketosis" mean then? How do we measure that? Is it even worth measuring this?

Here are some of my 'Ask Jack' threads about the PPP:
    Going back to CPC#8 -- http://jackkruse.com/cpc-8-quantum-brain-cancer/ , it's NAD+ that we're looking for.

Sidenote: I don't understand enough about NAD+ to comment intelligently. The only thing I will say is that taking Niacin to boost NAD+ requires good functioning of the NAD+ salvage pathways. That's probably why Jack has said that niacin is only good if your redox potential is good​

I would even argue that what we're looking for are compounds like NADPH with reducing power, so that you can get very accurate and responsible checks-and-counter checks to cellular oxidative state. ie: this is "sensing the environment". So you want to the ability to have bursts of superoxide, as well as bursts of NADPH. Most people have problems getting enough of the reducing compounds, and have to much oxidising compounds.

The last 2 things I want to say about the PPP are:
    • It has both fat-derived (glycerol) and carb-derived inputs. "Being in ketosis" may very well be better defined as "being able to use the PPP", and that can occur too when the sun is shining and the carbs are abundant

• This pathway is ancient. Prokaryotes have it. It is also catalysed be Fe2+ (see my quick notes on iron here -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.ph...m-ubiquitin-pathways.12098/page-2#post-146676).

Obviously, this pathway was mentioned in EMF4, but now I need specifics of how EMF affects this pathway. Iron is rarely mentioned as being a part of this set of reactions in humans within conventional texts. When it is, it is always about iron deficiency, and not iron excess (which is the case with high nnEMF)

Why isn't this used for CO2 fixing in us like bacteria do?

@Jack Kruse isn't telling us something o_O
    ----

Finally, I'll end with a quote from Nassim Nicholas Taleb (again):

It's easier to fast than to diet​

I always found the most success at becoming a fat burner when I said to myself, "absolutely zero carbs!!!!!"

13. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Great observations. I have measured my blood ketone levels in the past also and while they were interesting, were not especially useful to me either.

If super-high ketones were capable of regenerating widespread redox potentials, then Jimmy Moore would likely be doing a lot better than he has over past 1-2 years. His ketones are consistently sky-high as reported by himself in his detailed N=1 logs.

The relentless pursuit of higher and higher ketone levels while ignoring other factors is just another paleo sub-fad right now. Unfortunately. There are no shortcuts. This is complex business.

So what does it mean to "be ketotic?" As a more than 10 year veteran of low carb dieting myself, I have thought for quite a while that this was a much more complicated issue than that simple question implies. It's not about ketone levels (blood or urine). It's more about having the metabolic capacity and machinery available to consistently utilize and clear lipid-based fuel sources when they are present.

You would think that Jimmy would look at himself and realize that he is missing a part of the puzzle and hence needs to modify his strategy. Such is the power of dogma though, that it blinds you to what is right in front of your eyes. Sad.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yep......Jimmy has a probem with one small chemical.......I have yet to talk about yet that we will talk about in the Optimal Resolution series........

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jimmy tells his followers and the world that the protein to fat ratios are lousy in seafood, especially crustaceans, if you want to go high dietary fat route to get into ketosis. The real truth is that is Jimmy Moore's goal because of his beliefs......and not the goal of humans with a CNS and PNS filled with DHA. Hence why he has his results coupled with his excessive use of nnEMF

[​IMG]

That pic was from Jimbo's recent book signing. Nutritional ketosis sans DHA with extra helpings of nnEMF; no bueno

Thyroid function is directly tied to seafood and iodine. T3 =3 Iodine atoms, T4 = 4 Iodine atoms. Something's up with someone's understanding of how seafood works. RXR, VDR, and DHA are all coupled deeply by three special gases that have quantum magnetic effects. They control growth and metabolic cycles in every cell by controling size and shape. Look at the size and shape above. See a problem? He doesn't but you should. LC is great........but Jimmy is making the same mistake paleo is. You do ok with a partial answer but you wont reverse nothing until you fully get it together. It is fine to add fat to it........but you need a lot more to the story to get it right.

Brent Patrick and Kristi Lambert like this.
  16. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Only one chemical? C'mon now. That sounds like a tease... I'm pretty sure he's got some problems with a bunch of the atoms/chemicals you've already talked about too. Iron. Sulfur. Vitamin D. Flouride. Iodine...

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

niacin needs the nitrogen and sulfur equations to be working well with light or cold..........when they are not.....niacin wont do shit for NAD+

freesia likes this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

One specific one............He is not magnetic enough.

NeilBB likes this.
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

magnetism ties to size and shape in a way I have yet to share Neil..........we ain't there yet.

NeilBB likes this.
  20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yew said, "
    The last 2 things I want to say about the PPP are:
    • It has both fat-derived (glycerol) and carb-derived inputs. "Being in ketosis" may very well be better defined as "being able to use the PPP", and that can occur too when the sun is shining and the carbs are abundant
    • This pathway is ancient. Prokaryotes have it. It is also catalysed be Fe2+ (see my quick notes on iron here -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.ph...m-ubiquitin-pathways.12098/page-2#post-146676).
    What did I tell you 2 yrs ago about transition metals and nnEMF? They do some funky things to transition metals due to the D shell electrons right? What else is ancient about Fe? It always clusters with Sulfur in life forms..................

Coincidence or maybe you need to look at EMF 4 and EE12 more closely? What are you missing?