1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

A little freaked out about cholesterol

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Sem, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Sem

Sem New Member

I just got some bloodwork back from my doctor. The nurse said my cholesterol is high 222 total and 142 HDL. This is not fasting. I have never had high cholesterol but have been following hcg/paleo/leptin RX the past six months. It must be due to the diet, no? The doctor is mailing me my full blood work results along with a prescription for Crestor. I'm trying to schedule a consult with Dr. Kruse now. I'm assuming most would hold off on the prescription for now? Feeling a little nervous about it all ... I am also having a full hormone panel in a couple of weeks.

2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I don't believe that your total and HDL are bad. Can you post your LDL and triglycerids? I would worry more about those.

3. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

That's not high. LOL sheesh, they're scaring you for no reason. I wouldn't take that Crestor if you paid me good money. Often high cholesterol is from hypothyroidism but I wouldn't call 222 high, especially not with your good cholesterol that high! Until the leptin reset, my total cholesterol was 130 and I'd been trying to get it to raise for literally decades. I was THRILLED when I got it to a little over 200. Too low is much worse than too high. You need cholesterol to make hormones.

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Dr K (and Chris Masterjohn, Chris Kresser and many others) have said many times that total cholesterol numbers are at best meaningless... and typically in the literature the higher your cholesterol the better. High HDL is fine - and seems to point to your gut not being leaky, too. You need to worry about your trigs and your small density LDL, as well as your ratios. My 2cents is definitely do NOT take the script and wait til your consult. I'd also really want to know your hsCRP to give an indication of inflammation. You have to worry about oxidation, not cholesterol numbers per se.

5. Sem

Sem New Member

I am wondering if I misheard and the other one was my LDL? Would that be bad?

6. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Your HDL would still be 75 which is pretty good. Really, don't worry, Sem. The main thing to check is your hs-CRP and homocysteine levels. It's inflammation that matters, not cholesterol. Both of my parents have low cholesterol, 130-140 total. And they've both had heart attacks because of the inflammation.

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Here is a gem for you, Sem. (From one of the comments in the Hormones 101 blog, that I am re-reading!)

Low cholesterol is a bad problem. The real reason are these two……when our cholesterol levels drop below 200 we start not having enough LDL cholesterol to perform cell division perfectly all the time. Many physicians are unaware that the mitotic spindle in all mammals need cholesterol for cell division. When you do not have enough your mitotic spindle is not as efficient and it can lead to aneuploidy and chromosomal damage. I personally think this is how many of the genetic diseases we face today are affected by. More bad news…….when humans get aneuploidy and chromosomal damage it leads to cancer…….oncogenesis. Now immediately go and look at any statin trial and go see if people die of cancer more when they take statins……..They do. This was also found in the Framingham heart study. I wrote about it here. http://jackkruse.com/why-does-heart-disease-really-occur/

Second big issue…….all human hormones are made from LDL cholesterol LDL converts to pregnenolone to start the chain of control with T3 and vitamin A as co factors. If your LDL is low, your hormone panels fall……and disease follows. The brain controls its 20 trillion cells in our body using hormones……so if you do not have good hormone control your brain is driving your metabolism with any eye sight. Our profession is blind to these effects but our customers are not. When I draw their labs daily and predict their levels from just looking at their MRI’s they are kind of shocked. They should not be shocked because this is how biology of humans work via an evolutionary paradigm.

8. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Total cholesterol between 200 and 246 is associated with the lowest risk of death from all causes. Most of the long-term observational studies substantiate this.

You have now placed yourself at the lowest risk category for all cause mortality. Don't worry. Celebrate!!!

9. Sem

Sem New Member

It's all so confusing! This guy who took my bloodwork is a cardiologist. Sees everyone in my family. Just started someone else on chooesterol meds too. I don't know what the other numbers are but I am hoping I'll see it all when I get a copy in the mail. The other thing that's confusing is that if my numbers are so good for hormone making, why am I not making my hormones properly? I am not getting my period properly and am having hot flashes, etc. I am 42 but have been dealing with this on and off for seven years! Went to my gyn today and she gave me a prescription for progesterone to being on my period so I can do a hormone panel on day 18. Is the progesterone going to make me crazy? I have had so many bad experiences with prescriptions that I approach all with extreme caution!

Thanks for your responses. I feel better. :)

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

From what I understood, even if you have good cholesterol levels you might not be converting it well to particular hormones due to inflammation. You need to fix it and also find what hormones are affected. That is why the hsCrp is important in this.

I had a very positive experience with progesterone - fixed my fibrocystic breasts completely.

11. joseph.steve

joseph.steve New Member

We do not take this matter seriously.Most of us get the heart problem because we suffer from cholesterol problem. So the disease which leads us towards serious heart and blood problems should be cured in the beginning so we could enjoy a good and healthy life.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

There is definitely a cholesterol problem in the medical and humane community - it is not understood how it works!

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Here's a great thread on MDA that Griff put together.... read through it... your cholesterol is great!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

what are your ratios? - the MDA Thread will teach you how to calculate your ratios. you've gotten a lot of great advice - cholesterol is only one piece of the puzzle. it needs to be looked at in the context of all you're other labs...your hsCRP, homocystine, Fasting BG, Insuling, HbA1C, your hormones, thyroid etc.... w/o all that you're flying blind.

so your doc gave you a statin RX - don't fill it. FWIW in my consult w/Jack - he told me many doc's won't get paid by insurance unless they write the RX for the statin if the paitent has a total cholesterol over X# -

you can always go back to the doctor and ask for a berkley lipid panel to see what genes you have - statins while the par for the course in CW preventative treatment are bad. you couldn't pay me to take a statin. even with high risk factors... NOT WORTH IT....

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

The progesterone (prescription for from your gyn) is naturally created from the LDL cholesterol your other doctor is trying to lower with the statin prescription.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

statins are not fit for human consumption.......if you get a Rx fold it up and put it in your paleo book. when your optimal hand the book with all said folded Rx back to the doc and say this.........you need all of this more than me. Go help mankind.

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh. Darn it I just tore up the one the previous doc prescribed for my husband. I didn't want him going down the road to dependency on the healthcare system. I should have held onto it as a souvenir. We got a new doc, btw, and he doesn't have an issue with either of our cholesterol levels.

17. We are collecting them! I am going to make some kind of art. I have several statin prescriptions for my husband and a myriad of antibiotics written for me and my son. Also a variety of creams for random rashes - issued before I got the AI issues under control.

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I was thinking collage.... with pills and bottles and rx's

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oooh! Kruseart!

20. Sem

Sem New Member

I always fill my antibiotic prescriptions, even if I don't use them. I store them in he fridge. You never know when there's an emergency (earthquake, economic collapse, etc.). They could come in handy! But maybe I'm just paranoid. :)