1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

A Handy Guide For O3 Content Mercury In Seafood

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by edance83@yahoo.com, Apr 10, 2012.

1. edance83@yahoo.com

edance83@yahoo.com New Member

2. Dan in Utah

Dan in Utah New Member

3. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Naturally occurring selenium in fish also binds to mercury and helps reduce accumulation. Per Chris Kresser, other sources of selenium include: brazil nuts, crimini mushrooms, cod, shrimp, tuna, halibut, salmon, scallops, chicken, eggs, shiitake mushrooms, lamb, and turkey.

4. edance83@yahoo.com

edance83@yahoo.com New Member

Np Dan. I love it.. it's just so easy and helpful in the infographic form.

Don: I'm not saying we should be super worried about mercury from fish, though some people seem to have more issues than others. There is also a point where you stop accumulating mercury. But, I'd still stay away from shark and the ones at the bottom as those are known to cause mercury issues in the Japanese who obviously already eat a lot of fish. I eat brazil nuts for the added selenium just in case there isn't enough in the fish. Also, don't forget the cilantro that Dr. Kruse suggests that will help chelate the mercury for us. As selenium just seems to make it inert, but I'm not positive it actually removes it. Also, this is a great guide just for picking the best Omega 3 fish even if you're not concerned w/ mercury. :)

5. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

I really liked that visual chart of omega 3 and contamination. Give some thought to the health of your gut flora. Our gut flora is the first line of defeat against infection and contamination. Here is Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride talking about healthy gut flora. She deals with autistic and spectrum disorders at her clinic in the UK and has a lot of experience with heavy metal contamination:

http://www.eatkamloops.org/what-is-a-healthy-gut/

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

The chart doesn't have shrimp on it.