1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

A Ha moment over the dumbest thing

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Jaime T., Nov 1, 2018.

1. Jaime T.

Jaime T. Silver. Lots to learn.

My printer has a blue light showing when it's on. I only have it on when I need to use it. It was on and I printed a few things and continued my computer work with my blue blockers on. Looked over at the printer and thought "crap, printer must have died since its not on now (no blue light on :) then, wait did I shut it off and not remember?
    DUH.
    I'm wearing blue blockers! And they really work.

caroline and drezy like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

3. Lisa Ouh

Lisa Ouh Gold

Haha... I also had the same experience with my kettle. Was wondering why the kettle (with blue light) was not switched on and only realised what is wrong when i took off my blue blocker glasses!

4. drezy

drezy Gold

It's still hitting your skin. Some red tape over the top of the light might be a nice next step.

Jaime T. and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  5. Penny

Penny New Member

How far away does one have to be from say your kid's led-everything all over his desk as I walk by? LIke, if you can see it with your eyes, is it hitting your skin also? I'm erring on the side of caution and avoiding literally half the house when darkness falls because of all the tech that goes on here... but, at least my youngest is starting to wear his blue blockers and is getting up in the morning now instead of staying up *all* night - I have been hammering home BLINDNESS and have been getting some traction...

6. drezy

drezy Gold

Where less than 5 photons hit you in my book.

I have one charger left with a blue light I use to charge a device at night on the furthest side of the house. Still, it has black electrical tape over the light so zero light is emitted.

Penny likes this.
  7. James Gerard

James Gerard Platinum Member

I cover mine up with clay. Two on my vacuum charger ( that remains unplugged). Two that have a glowy thing on my laptop. ( I have a blue block screen on my laptop). I walk through my house in the morning getting pissed because of all the little lights that I am planning to cover 1 at a time. My mother starts turning lights on and I turn them off. I have a "newer" thermostat. It's BLUE I am going to fashion a plat that needs to be lifted to view it. My dad bought a faucet that had an led light on it... I'm just gonna replace that when he's not looking. Neither of us knew the implications at the time he bought it.

caroline and Jude like this.
  8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Smoke alarms are my problem. Sure, you can cover the led with tape, but some of them have an additional light inside the case that blinks every few minutes; part of the 'low battery alert' system, I guess. Difficult to cover all the vents in the case and end up with an operational detector.

9. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

This reminds me—I had a mitigation “win” with taking down the 7 WIRELESSLY LINKED First Alert detectors. :eek: (I know, I know...) When one went off they would all go off—super annoying with minor kitchen smoke, and not really needed for the size of the house.

We still haven’t replaced them, and now I see there’s radiation controversy over detectors in general. Problem, or no? Recommended type/brand?

caroline and drezy like this.
  10. John Saf

John Saf New Member

If you open it, it is possible to spray paint this led

nonchalant and drezy like this.
  11. drezy

drezy Gold

I like that idea. Also a permanent marker can do the job as well.

Now I notice how obnoxious most devices are. Does every device really need an LED casting out light?