1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

A couple of grounding questions.

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Spaniard, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Hello all,

My bedroom is on a second story and I know I am grounded if I touch my bathroom faucet. Can I take primary/copper wire wrap it around the faucet and then run it to my bed and sleep grounded? Or is there some concern about emf/5g or some other reason I should not do this? I live in a condo but there is only 3 units in the building and the other buildings are about 30 ft away.

The other scenario is taking primary copper wire and putting it in my back yard and running it into a room where I work on a computer and where I watch tv and just stepping on it while I am working/watching tv. I know I am grounded but are there any concerns? My back yard has a 6ft retainer wall that separates me from a public park.

Any insights would be appreciated.

2. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

This thread discussed grounding some:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/mattress-in-shielded-bedroom.24666/

If you're going to use a copper wire from the backyard, attach it to a copper grounding rod. And the placement of the grounding rod in relation to underground electricity can affect the quality for the body of the ground. I don't know the best way to measure the underground electricity. I've read that putting the grounding rod in the middle of a healthy bush or some plant with somewhat deep roots might help. Not sure how true that is. I've also considered using a ferrite toroid on the wire to shield interference from the length of the wire like is used for electronics and audio gear, but I don't know much about it and don't know if it's effective at reducing interference on the wire when a body is in contact with it instead of electronics/audio gear or if it might be harmful to a body somehow. There's some information in that thread linked above about what's called by Earthing companies the "umbrella effect", which supposedly shields the body from ambient telecom signals but there's probably more nuance to the physics that the Earthing companies don't commonly explain in the marketing, like the response from EarthingNederland in that thread about the umbrella effect being more or less effective depending on the frequency of the signal/field. The pictures of book pages in that thread are from Feynman's Lectures on Physics, which is referenced by Earthing companies as their source for the umbrella effect claim, but I don't understand if what's in those pages could be applied to figuring out a curve of efficacy for different frequencies from 50 or 60 hz house wiring up to the telecom ranges.
    And instead of having to step on the bare wire,
    https://www.lessemf.com/personal.html
    sells conductive socks; you can attach an alligator clip to the wire and clip the clip onto the sock(s) (You can add an extra wire to split off from the one attached to the grounding rod to have two wires and clips to attach to the socks. Not sure if it makes much difference, but normally outside both feet would be grounded instead of one side for a long time.). And the socks' conductivity will decrease a little with each washing, I don't know how much.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    John Schumacher likes this.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Thanks Dan2.