1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

7-Keto: Brand matters

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by SueC, Sep 26, 2012.

1. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

That blog says 7 Keto does not become T or E. However, that assumes a) that it is real 7 Keto and not DHEA and b) that there isn't some other mechanism at work. I have no idea, but I hate the notion that we can't trust our supplements to be what they say they are.

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Thanks for the clarification Lauren. I was too tired to read the blog he referenced and the new blog tonight.

3. SueC

SueC New Member

I FINALLY heard back from Source Naturals with this answer:

"The answers to your questions are as follows: we purchase this branded supplement 7-keto DHEA from the patent holder Humanetics Corp. which is located in Minnesota. According to the Certificates of Analysis (C of A) they provide with the material it is manufactured in China.

The manufacture on their C of A provide test results for ID, purity, lead, heavy metals, yeast, molds, & pathogens.

As a responsible manufacture of supplements once Threshold receives raw materials we again test for all of these items. We test each lot we receive to confirm ID, purity, lead, heavy metals, yeast, molds, & pathogens."

In talking with a company rep "off the record", he believes the research for stating that 7-keto doesn't convert is poor. He could find only 1 study using a handful of "healthy men." I can't find any more than that study, either, but I'll keep trying.

I talked with the folks at Life Extension about conversion and that person said 7-keto can raise testosterone scores slightly, but nothing like my off the charts reading.

So we're still left with buyer be wary, and TEST, TEST, TEST!

4. Thanks sue!!!

5. jib

jib New Member

[QUOTE=KiwiLauren b) that there isn't some other mechanism at work..

So, this is happening with several here and probably happened with me as well when I tried it for a short time, what are the "some other mechanism at work" Maybe there would be some answers if we could figure this out??? (Just rambling outloud) There is still so much that I need to learn...

6. maggie

maggie New Member

I think something similar has happened to me. In my recent labs, the DHEA-S was given as >1000 and my testosterone was also way, way out of range. I sent the results to Dzugan and I'm waiting for the "tweak" to my program. However, I wrote again and said I'd also like some kind of explanation. Seems like more than just tweakable, would need to know what the mechanism was if it isn't just a problem with the supps.

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I've been taking both DHEA (50mg) and 7-Keto (50mg). Haven't noticed any effects.

I guess I'll continue until I get new labs.

8. SueC

SueC New Member

FYI: I have since asked Source Naturals if someone there would point me to the research they used to conclude 7-keto doesn't convert to sex steroids and also what research they used to advocate taking 100 mg of 7-keto twice daily on their product. We'll see if I get an answer to that....

9. janagram

janagram New Member

After reading this thread I just quit taking 7-keto and pregnenolone....I now just take 2 maca caps each day (which I always did)....who knows? feel just the same...(good)...(better than when I first got on this site)

10. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Well I have no idea about what that mechanism might be. I was just thinking out loud. I stopped 7-Keto but Dr K suggested to me that continuing was a good idea. My DHEA is very low, so it's definitely not converting into that. Also, I have only ever had the one T test, so I have no before-and-after to look at. My new doc has suggested I go on DHEA, so that's going to be another experience to watch. I guess I'm not entirely sure what the mechanisms are that dictate whether DHEA supplementation makes DHEA or can be made into E or T. If my DHEA is low it seems DHEA would make DHEA. If it doesn't, then something is surely broken and it's not likely the BHRT medication.

11. miper70

miper70 New Member

I also take (took) Source Naturals 7-keto 50mg and just got test results back which showed my testosterone and progesterone levels that were 6 and 10 x the norm. She took me off of the pregnenolone but I quit the 7-keto also and will see what happens.

12. SueC

SueC New Member

My labs were saliva. (Tacked onto a cortisol test.)

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

14. Update, I may post this elsewhere as it's related to this thread and DHEA.

I'll give the basics as it relates to this thread.

3 testosterone tests, all same lab, range for all three was 7-46.

1. 8/23, had been taking DHEA 50 mgs, and 7-KETO 100mgs for about two weeks.

Total Testosterone 152. Stopped regular DHEA that day.

2. 9/7, still taking 7-KETO 100mgs for a little over a month at this point.

Total Testosterone 315. Stopped 7Keto that day.

3. 11/1, DHEA supps free.

Total Testosterone 28

I also re-checked Vit-D after a bio-hack. That went from

8/23, 21 Vit D, 25-OH, Total.

11/1, 77 Vit D, 25-OH, Total.

15. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Verrrrrrrry interesting.

16. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Hmm. I'm suspicious of wildly consistent lab tests. Seems odd that T would drop so much and D would increase so much. Glad you're back to "normal" though ;)

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

It would help to monitor DHEAs.

Since you are focusing on TotalTestosterone,

and

it seems like something interesting may be going on in that area,

I would suggest that you possibly do 24hr urine testing at:

------------------------

Meridian Valley Laboratory, Inc

801 SW 16th St., Suite 126 Renton, WA 98057

Phone: 425-271-8689

Toll-free:

855-405-TEST

( 855-405-8378)

Fax: 425-271-8674

-------------------------

http://meridianvalleylab.com/urine-hormone-testing

http://www.lmreview.com/articles/view/select-the-right-hormone-test-for-your-patient-using-bio-identical-hormone-/

http://www.allthingsmale.com/forum/showthread.php?4433-DHT-gt-3a-3%26%23945%3B-Androstanediol-Glucuronide-(3%26%23945%3B-diol-G)&p=175901#post175901

18. SueC

SueC New Member